Gran Turismo 7 - Welcome back to the race

The controversy is deserved and, even though I’m thoroughly enjoying GT7, and while I ignore anything online/multiplayer and microtransactions, the thought that they are making the game mimic real-life by making things available for only those rich in time (to grind) or money (to buy the credits) just shows how much they miss the point of games like this.

I’ll never own these cars in real life. I’ll never race them on real tracks. I’d be surprised if I ever even see most of them in my lifetime. So a game like GT7 is supposed to give people like me the chance to experience all of what I wouldn’t otherwise get the chance to have. Way to lock that down.

Thank you Kaz!

https://twitter.com/thegranturismo/status/1507270429555277839

• Increase the upper limit of non-paid credits in player wallets from 20M Cr. to 100M Cr.

This is such a weird one. Just don’t have a limit, or make it arbitrarily large. It’s just outright player hostile.

I haven’t touched the game since the last patch. Looks like I should just wait for now until they fix the payouts. I really don’t get what the hell they were thinking with the current system. Nobody is going to be happy with having to grind for 20 hours for 1 freaking car.

Kaz Yamauchi definitely comes from the prior administration of PlayStation where PS3 required second jobs to enjoy the luxury of owning one. Dude doesn’t get it and never will.

Yeah, when I read that today I was shocked that there was even a limit in the first place. And 20 million credits? I see a luxury car right now that sells for 18.5 million so you’d have to have been close to the limit before even being able to afford the car. Weird.

Kind of overshadowed the 1 million payout they gave to everyone. Nice gesture, but cars on the upper end far outstrip that.

I obviously don’t understand the kerfluffle, but probably because I have no desire to buy any of the dopey legendary cars. I had some money burning a whole in my pocket, so I spent a half million bucks to buy a legendary '65 Shelby Mustang, which I drove a few laps on Mount Panorama before putting it back in the garage where I’ll probably never drive it again. But it advanced my collection level, so I got what I wanted.

So I just don’t understand people who expect to get the $3,000,000 Batmobile look-a-likes in the course of normal playing. Seems to me those cars are just high-end, post-career, end-game collectibles. Furthermore, it seems to me the entire economy of the career mode is based on not being able to afford those kinds of supercars and instead having to win by upgrading and tuning normal affordable cars.

I freely concede I’m an anomaly, but I just don’t get why people are irked. Also, I don’t want Polyphony Digital dropping $1 million into my account! That, to me, is the dumb thing they’re doing. Why wreck my career’s economy just because a bunch of people are whining about being unable to afford their dippy Batmobiles???

-Tom

If you want to play online you need to have certain cars for the races. It can get expensive VERY fast. To the point where someone that has an actual job can’t/won’t keep up. And buying the cars with real money isn’t really an option with how they are priced. So ya I totally get why people are annoyed. I wasn’t super worried as I figured they would have to backtrack and fix it.

Exactly, those super expensive cars are both totally unnecessary for normal gameplay and exist solely to be long term collection goals. So the idea that anyone should be mad they can’t buy them easily in the first couple weeks is just stupid. I’m on the final Cafe mission and the class of cars for that all sell for 450K, and I could buy four of them right now with what I’ve earned in single player. Or I could just run a fully tuned up car I got for free in one of the many previous races.

The 12M credit cars are GT7’s end game. That’s a grind in every game, and for a reason. No one expects the best loot to drop in Destiny just for beating single player. The best raid gear in an MMO doesn’t fall in your lap. If you could get every car you want in GT7 in the first month people would just be pissed that there isn’t enough reason to keep playing.

I’m kind of with you - the $20m limit was never going to affect me, and I certainly don’t want a $1m airdrop. I’m not playing the game to collect all the cars, or even any particular one, so I don’t really care how expensive they are. It’s just that the limit, and the fact that you could circumvent it with real money, was so unnecessary, the only possible game design reason for it was to make things harder for the people who do care about those things. And then the business reason to drive microtransactions at the margins.

I’m happy to get a million dollarydoos. That’s not really much - I can get like 2 or 3 more nice cars to add to my current collection of 80 cars which is growing all the time.

Forza Horizon just pushed a notification congratulating me on reading this thread and rewarded me with three S class supercars.

edit: four

OK the DeLorean is kind of crappy! Can hardly even get up to 88mph!

The Tesla is weird - it makes zero noise. It made me realise I judge how fast I’m going by the engine noise - with this I think I’m going a reasonable speed coming up to a corner, then look down and I’m going 120mph!

I have to concede that, if I hadn’t heard the grumbling online, I probably would have just shrugged it all off. I mean, I never fall for microtransaction crap outside of games I like to support like GW2 so, although I find it annoying to have credit purchases advertised, I just move on.

But I am a collector, and I know I’ll never get these fancy cars because I just can’t play that much. I honestly don’t recall how far I made it in my car collections in past games, but this one makes it feel far and away impossible. It bothers me a bit, but it’s another shrug and move on moment.

On another topic, is anyone running through the licenses and going for gold in them, or do you just do enough to pass and unlock races? It’s one of my favorite parts of the game, and I speckle them among the cafe menus and other races so I get a good mix day-to-day. Missions are similar, I’ll tackle them until I get gold and then move to the next, but I’ve yet to finish the first set of them since they aren’t required for any races.

I have no desire to chase gold medals for missions or driver licenses, because you don’t get a reward unless you get a gold on all of them, and I just know there’s going to be one mission or one lesson that just eludes me, so I’d end up banging my head against the game instead of actually driving cars I like on tracks I like. For instance, the night-time jeep drive in the missions. I had to drive like hell to get a bronze on that. I can only imagine what a living nightmare it would be chasing down a gold. No thanks!

It helps that they don’t shove the prize for getting all gold medals in my face. So it’s some car I can’t see because it’s under a sheet. Big whoop. No skin off my back if it stays under that sheet forever. Besides, I’m probably getting just as much collector points from the cars I buy from the money I made driving races instead of trying to get a gold medal on that night-time jeep drive.

That said, I’m impressed at anybody who manages to unlock the rewards for those gold medals. You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

-Tom

That jeep one, btw, they fixed in a patch. Your jeep didn’t have dirt tires which was why it was so hard to manage. They added the dirt tires and gold!

But yeah, I get it. I must have run that A-9 Hairpin a couple hundred times to finally get gold. There’s something very satisfying about refining the technical. I can usually win races without them being ‘perfect’ but getting gold in the licenses means I did everything just right.

I do find it funny how I take some of what I do in the GT games and then apply it to my real driving. Like bouncing off walls and driving over lawns. Ha, no, I mean, how I find lines going around curves in particular to make 'em go faster.

OMG, that’s right! I remember someone – maybe you – posting the patch notes upthread with the missing dirt tires, and it didn’t even occur to me to think of my struggle with that jeep mission!

Hmm, I might have to rethink my anti-gold policy, because I’m pretty sure I formed it right around the time I had to pass that jeep mission. :)

-Tom

Well I unlocked Sport mode today and I popped over to take a look, and there are definitely BoP races in there. I even took part in one, and we all lined up in our identical Clios that you get for passing the National B license test. I was even doing ok, staying with the pack until some asshole t-boned me in a corner and sent me completely out of control and to the back of the line.

Guess racing isn’t all that interesting to talk about, but I seemed to have finished the core of the game (the cafe menus) this morning. I’m sitting on 107 cars in my garage (out of 425!) so a lot of collecting left to go, and there are still the missions and finishing up gold in the last of the licenses, not to mention circuit experience and several races I’ve not completed. And then there’s racing because racing is fun.

I’m much more fond of the mid-range races than the high-speed ones. There’s something more technical about that level than the ultra-powered super cars and I feel that I enjoy them much more as a result.

I’m not sure why they bothered with the collector levels. Aside from some early on rewards of the helmets and racing suits, the vast majority of level ups have resulted in no reward at all. Coupled with the roulette system, the rewards seem wildly out of sync with their purpose which is supposed to push players to get more.

And the marathon drive (26.2 miles/day) should have been done in such a way that the starred roulettes are higher if you keep coming back multiple days in a row, and reset if you don’t. Instead, it seems random, so you could be coming back every day but you could get anything. Again, they don’t seem to understand incentive.

Still, it was nice that the 6-star roulette for completing the cafe menu netted me one of the cars. That, at least, felt like a big reward.

Yeah, that was really surprising to me, as well. Disappointing, really. I had hoped the Collector Level would take up the slack for me not really caring about owning a ton of cars; maybe I could instead care about the rewards I get for my Collector Level rising as I collect cars?

But as I realized I was just unlocking different colored hats, I was pretty quickly disabused of that notion. :(

I guess it’s important for unlocking clusters of missions, but those feel like extras for later rather than part of the game proper. I don’t really care about unlocking them when I’ve already got plenty I hadn’t even bothered to look at yet.

So, yeah, Collector Level turned out to be a bit of a bust.

-Tom