GreedFall (Spiders/Focus Home Interactive) 2019

I thought the running was a big weird, but hey, maybe there’s something a bit janky about ME!

Oh, I don’t know about that, if you think something is off there, then for sure it’s off to you and that’s just the way it will be. It looks fine to me, though the low-frame rate on the capes is pretty aggravating and I hope that gets patched out (if not already) by the day 1 patch. Otherwise the animations look pretty solid to me.

I expect a certain amount of jank out of a small developer effort with this much ambition. Some of my favorite games have some jank for exactly that reason.

Yeah, some level of Euro-jank is definitely fun, for sure.

Oh yeah, I don’t mean “I object to it because it’s janky”… maybe a better term would be “quirky.” I definitely feel like smaller studios have more of an individual style than the big boys, and it can be charming.

Euro-jank, Eastern-Euro-jank, and Former-Members-of-Soviet-Union-jank have produced some of my favorite games.

I have a soft spot for the jank cf. Piranha Bytes. Waiting for impressions!

Not sure Eurojank is a very valid concept any more given Bethesda and Bioware’s recent trajectories and the contrast with CDPR say :) I propose Yankjank as a helpful new term.

It is funny about “jank” --Dragon’s Dogma has no real jank … I wonder how they eek the jank out of a game? Truly, DD can be awkward but the moment to moment gameplay is non-janky.

Anywho: Greedfall --day 1. I can’t help it. Looks good. (But maybe late day one so I can catch a review or two)

Hey girl, you got some jank in the trank.

Preload is up on Steam. I’m preloading now. ;)

Let us know how it goes!

rham if you do get to play it early let us know your thoughts.

Was the preload all you hoped it would be?

Will do! The plan is to play this Monday, since it should be released by around 9 PM my local time.

So far it’s been great! I’ve seen bigger ones, but it isn’t the size that matters, right?

Just had an interesting rollercoaster experience!

Stumbled upon a mention of Greedfall on a gaming site which reminded me of the games existence and that I’d been mildly interested when the e3 trailer dropped two years ago. Watched the launch & gameplay trailer and various articles hyping this as a possible new Bioware. Got very excited and was close to preordering, though I had a tiny niggle that the review embargo was still up. Since I’d never heard of Technomancer, I watched the IGN review and my enthusiasm nosedived.

So went from nothing to BUY NOW and back down to wait and see in the span of an hour!
Ah the joys of being a gamer…

I am wondering if any reviews drop before release?

And it looks like nothing till release day. September 10th.

I did find via reddit this streamer who got an early copy and has posted hours of gameplay.

Embargo lifts at the time of release, which is actually tomorrow for people in certain timezones (like me). I know at least ACG will release a review as soon as possible.

The last thing any gamer should do is listen to the likes of IGN.
These “journalists” are getting paid by and rely on special treatment by the big companies, which is a perfect recipe for “do not trust a word those people say/write”.
These are the same people that gave boring crap like the latest (at the time) Call Of Duty a 9.X/10 score, while a charming but (really quite) flawed game like Technomancer gets a 4.9…

Seriously, don’t listen to critics, listen to consumers. Check out actual players’ reviews and make up your mind from those. Steam review score for Technomancer is about 70%, which seems about right.

Technomancer is a low budget game, and it shows. Big surprise there. Just as all the other games of this developer were. But they were all very charming.
This one has a MUCH higher budget, so it would be perfectly reasonable to expect a strong increase in quality over Technomancer.

Of course, never pre-order. Always wait for first impressions. That’s just common sense.