Grim Dawn - An ARPG from Crate (ex Iron Lore aka Titan Quest devs)

That’s cool. I just started playing and it’s addicting. I like it better than Titan Quest. It’s pretty well designed. They put transport points in good spots so if I have to leave I can get back to where I left off easily.

There’s also scaling for the interface so it’s easier to see on high resolution. The inventory shell game does get old though. And playing at high res I do wish there was a way to make the cursor stand out better.

How is this on console? I seem to remember some complaints when it was released?

If it’s an option, I would recommend PC just for the mods. Controller support is great.

There’s enough reviews complaining about things on the Xbox version that I’ve stayed away so far, even though I thought I’d buy it right away when it hit Xbox.

The PC version is really good, and has great controller support. According to the forums the developer doesn’t have an Xbox development kit, so can’t really optimize well for the console without one. So there’s performance issues, and unlike PC, you can’t scale the UI so everything is really tiny as far as writing on the screen.

It’s so great to see the game be such a success. It was the first thing I ever supported on Kickstarter, nearly 10 years ago now. I really do wish they’d have planned another game of the same genre, though, even if not a direct sequel.

I’m with you. I really hope they make another ARPG at some point in the future as Grim Dawn is the best of the genre in my opinion. It’s a fantastic game and they’ve been continually improving and supporting the game for years now.

I do love the game, and have played quite a lot of it over the years, but I have never reached anything close to the end game.

As someone who likes trying different things out, I restart a lot and it all gets repetitive due to levelling up along the same linear path with zero variation every time. Characters seem to revolve around a couple key skills, and take a long time to expand those meaningfully.

Is there any approach to combat this kind of early-game fatigue? Because yeah, I’m thinking of starting up another character… :)

Hmmm, I’ve finished the starting difficulty with a lot of characters, but never the 3rd difficulty tier. Is that the one you mean by end game? Or just the campaign?

If the latter, then I would advise:

1. Play with a controller (more fun moment-to-moment, less temptation to start new character).
  2. Play on Veteran difficulty (more challenging, less temptation to start new character)
  3. Start your character in the campaign until you hit level 2 and then play a few rounds of the crucible first. That way you get the early leveling out of the way and get some star chart thingies as well. Then start the campaign. Enjoy being over powered in the early area.
  4. If a skill doesn’t make you think “Hell yeah”, don’t use it. Yes, I know, on paper it sounds awesome, but don’t pay attention to just that. It has to feel good, and there’s lots of those, so focus in on the ones that make you say that internally every time.

If you just mean you’ve never reached end game meaning finished the 3rd difficulty tier, then yeah, I haven’t either. It’s tough. Maybe too tough.

Cheers, I do mean the campaign, in that it’s a bit of a slog playing through all that same stuff multiple times to try new characters.

One of the best things Diablo 3 did was basically scrapping the campaign in favour of Adventure Mode. And their campaign at least had some procedural elements to area layouts.

I’m guessing there’s nothing like that I’ve missed? I have never tried Crucible and was not even sure what it was!

I always play with controller btw. :)

Latest update:

• This update includes a redesign of ranged weapons with the hidden projectile passthrough modifier. This has always been a contentious mechanic, but past experiments with shifting passthrough to weapon pool skills (WPS) proved successful. In v1.1.9.6, we have decided to shift all passthrough to WPS skills instead of having it be a hidden modifier on a small selection of weapons. This way, more ranged weapons have access to this powerful mechanic, opening up many more viable ranged options while also making it possible to tune ranged weapons without having to compensate for the overly powerful 100% passthrough on select weapons.

Grim Dawn is on sale for $22 on Xbox this week. I managed a few good saving throws against this sale for the first few days but last night I couldn’t resist anymore.

So here I am again.

They have indeed added UI scaling. On the biggest scale possible the UI looks the same on my monitor as it does on my PC. So basically the game plays and looks identical to PC. I have to admit I’m a little disappointed. I was hoping I would immediately notice something, anything that plays differently or looks better. But no, it’s exactly the same game again, of course.

I imagine I’ll really only start noticing a difference in the late game. On my PC when things got super busy on the screen my PC was CPU-constrained so it would get pretty low frame rates. So I imagine that’s where the Xbox version will finally prove better for me.

It is kind of weirdly liberating to start over with a new small stash, a limited inventory space, and no ingredients or recipes. It’s like starting a new season! I like it.

I started with an Archon that AdamB was praising upthread, aiming for vitality damage. I did the Crucible to level 19 and then restarted the campaign and am breezing through on Veteran.

I noticed that was on sale and was kind of tempted. I haven’t played on PC so I don’t know which method would work better for this particular game.

Clarification, what do you mean by “which method”. You mean PC vs Xbox?

Yes. Which platform, I guess I should have said.

For me they’re identical. But that’s because ever since they introduced gamepad controls, I’ve been switching more and more to the gamepad. At first just the combat. And then slowly I stopped using the mouse for inventory and skills management and such as well. So when I finally came to Xbox, it’s really the same. But I suppose if you get it on PC, you’ll have the option of using the mouse for inventory if you so choose.

Man, the recent Path of Exile posts reminded me to give that another try and I downloaded it yesterday and started playing… I did NOT need Grim Dawn to go on sale!

Put it on my Xbox Wish List and was glad it had been at full price the whole time I’ve had it on there. Now, I’m torn! Stick with PoE and get GD later? Or get and play GD now? (Third option being go back to my game on PC since I had been meaning to try it with a controller…).

Get it again on Xbox like I did. Same game, but with Xbox achievements! Mmmmmm. Achievements.

Broke down and got it.

Man, one thing I love about this game is the great ambient sounds. The musical score is also pretty good; it stays out of the way for the most part, but every now and then there’s some cool stuff that pops out.

Playing on Series S. Wish they could have gotten the resolution to 1440p. It’s at 1080p and while it doesn’t look bad, it could be a bit sharper. Especially dialog text.

Also, choices are 30 FPS and unlocked. The unlocked seems to run ok but there’s occasional slowdown and also it doesnt feel like it’s doing much above 30FPS to begin with. Wish they could have gone up to 60 FPS. Seems like the S should be able to.

In any case, I spent 2 blissful hours killing the undead. When is a good level to pick a 2nd class? Only played a few hours on PC and got to level 20 without doing so before.

I enjoy playing path of exile when a new league starts because I feel a lot of energy with the new league mechanics and every one’s talking about it. Then when things calm down, I will often play grim dawn since it’s always there.

I picked it up on xbox yesterday and diving back in. played a ton on pc but not in a long time.