Grim Dawn - An ARPG from Crate (ex Iron Lore aka Titan Quest devs)

It’s a terrific ARPG. If you played Titan Quest, it’s an improved version of that in a more classical fantasy world.

This really is a great game. I put in 200 hours with it last year.

I loved TQ, but I didn’t like this game. I found it very bland and generic. It was just a blur of similar enemies with the only real difference being, this guy does green damage, that guy does red damage, and those over there do blue damage. I also didn’t like the faction grind mechanic either.

I am a big fan of this game. About 200 hours so far. Almost done with the Ultimate run with my level 85 dual pistol sorcerer who is a killing machine. Love the hidden secret areas, sure I know them all now but great none the less. The ending is underwhelming and while the areas are very good they could have had more variety.

I don’t mean to be shallow… but the acting in the teaser trailer on Steam was atrocious. Please tell me the voice acting in the game proper is better.

Not really.

Not to be snarky, but my reaction was kind of “Wait, there’s voice acting in the game?”. To be fair, though, I did put a good chunk of my play time in before voice acting was put into the game. :)

Maybe it’s just my bias speaking, but I don’t think you’d want to play this game if you’re looking for a meaty story or good voiceovers for the dialog. Like most of the genre, it’s about customizing your pinata-basher. Witcher 3 this ain’t. Love the game, though.

Esc, Esc, Esc, click… carnage.

I’m only comparing to the production values I loved in Titan Quest- which was quite polished game. I still might pick it up.

I have something like 150 hours into the game, and I couldn’t tell you if the voice acting is good or bad either. It didn’t stand out either way. I don’t think there is a lot of it.

Note that the game doesn’t support high DPI which is frankly absurd in 2016. If your monitor requires running above 100% (96 DPI) scaling you may not see a mouse cursor. Acknowledged on their forums. Completely ridiculous.

Iirc they adapted the Titan Quest engine, which is probably why. Be a shame to miss out on a great game because of a technical reason, but understandable.

I have never heard of DPI issues with a game. Is this a 4k thing? Or just a thing with higher-end monitors?

It runs great at 1440, so I assume it must be a 4k issue.

It depends if you’re using DPI scaling at 1440p though. If you’re running at 100% scaling then you wouldn’t notice a problem.

FYI, DPI scaling is the ‘Customise your display’ setting in Windows that ‘changes the size of text, apps and other items’.

Can’t you just check disable display scaling on high dpi settings for just that exe? Don’t remember issues when I played at 4K but most of my time was spent at 1080p on a different monitor.

Congrats to Crate, GD has passed the 500k unit sales mark!

Glad to see small team games like this and Rocket League do so well allowing the developers to be free of having to quickly move on and look for the next deal to keep the doors open.

The Crucible DLC comes out tomorrow apparently.

http://www.grimdawn.com/guide/settings/crucible.php

[quote]
As a special thank you to those who have been with us at the beginning of Grim Dawn’s journey, everyone who purchased the game through our website prior to/during the Kickstarter, or through the Kickstarter campaign itself, will receive the DLC for FREE.[/quote]

Anyone pick this up? I have no interest in arena type battles, but maybe this is done in a way that is interesting and rewarding? I can’t imagine there is enough there to get me playing again though. On the other hand I love the base game and want to support the developers, so maybe its worth picking up just to encourage them to do more DLC for the game?