Grim Dawn - An ARPG from Crate (ex Iron Lore aka Titan Quest devs)

I noticed that my necromancer skeletons no longer got lost when I would go to town and the stash interface seemed different. Glad to know there really was a patch and I wasn’t just crazy!

And my necro is level 28 now. Hard to drag myself away from it. I have all 3 skelly skills maxed and found a club that adds 2 levels to the first skill and +1 max skelly. Got the fiend devotion skill and tied it to the skellies. Fire and death everywhere are the result. I sure hope they don’t nerf this because it’s so much fun.

I’ve bounced in and out of this game since it released. On the one hand, I love a lot of it, but on the other hand, there are things that keep me from getting as invested in it as in, say, Diablo, or even PoE. The interface is so damn small, with the buttons and icons being a huge challenge to my bifocal-clad aging eyes. That’s the biggest thing that nags at me and sort of makes playing the game fatiguing. But I really love the diversity of “stuff.”

There is a UI scale slider at least, does that not make it big enough for you?

Funny you should mention the interface size. I came back to GD after playing PoE and thought how nice it was to have the world zoomed out and the interface being a regular size for a change. Even after all the hours I put into Exile, I still try to zoom it out to see more of the world, although I’ve gotten use to the giant interface.

Yeah, the very first thing I did was use the UI scale slider under the Graphics options to make all that stuff bigger. I was very happy to see they had that.

Is there a,way to farm or craft +move speed items? Or do any of the constellations help with that?

Mark of the Traveller gives you movement bonuses,as do various stats on boots primarily. The mark can be found from around level 18 or so.

I abandoned my spellbinder at level 50, the caster stats combined with pbaoe attacks just led to too many deaths. My new inquisitor/occultist http://www.grimtools.com/calc/mN4nErVg is doing much much better. I just finished the original campaign with no problems and am now finishing up some quests before starting the expansion content.

And in case my single element cold damage ever peters out I threw together a chaos flamethrower build to respec into. http://www.grimtools.com/calc/YVW010ZJ honestly that looks really fun too.

Huh. Never knew that. I’ll give it a try!

Is there a way to see how high a level you have to be to get to any particular point in Grimtools? I might be missing something obvious, but it always seems to show everyone at level 100 at a starting point. I want to see how high a level someone would be after I put a few points here, a few points there, another few points there. Is the only way to do that in Grimtools to count yourself, 3 points at a time, keeping track of what level you’d be?

That’s what I am going with as well, with similar skill picks so far. Except have gone with dual pistols, and have some points in Dreeg’s evil eye which hasn’t been that impressive.

Thanks! my guys aren’t quite 18 yet but I’ll start keeping my eyes open for that mark

If you guys are enjoying Grim Dawn then I’d like to make a shout out to “The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Final Cut” which despite the ridiculous title is a great ARPG. Personally I think it’s even better than Grim Dawn.

They are both fond of broad brimmed puritan hats!

I never clicked with Van Helsing. To be fair, I only tried it for about an hour.

But Grim Dawn hooked me right away.

I remember supporting this game way back before even the Kickstarter. And it has taken until now to finally get into the game. I dinked around a bit with the beta, but final version of Grim Dawn has its hooks into me. The Demolition/Inquisitor build is a ton of fun right now. Everything about killing mobs feels satisfying.

Most expensive game I ever bought, money well spent. I know I’ll continue to support Crate with whatever they release in the near future. Grim Dawn is well and truly a level above and ahead of Diablo 3 in my opinion.

I played Grim Dawn a bit but it didn’t really get its hooks into me. And I don’t really know why. Maybe when I’m in the mood for some ARPG killing I end up going to Path of Exile or Diablo 3. But I’m willing to admit I may have missed something here. Can someone tell me unironically what itch Grim Dawn will scratch that PoE or D3 don’t? Or is it “just” another take on the genre (and I say just in quotes because I don’t mean in in a dismissive way).

I bounce in and out of GD when the ARPG urge hits. I usually do D3, because it’s so streamlined, polished, and easy to get into and out of without having to remember, well, much of anything. GD is more intricate, somewhere between Diablo and Path of Exile in my book. It’s uglier by far than D3 in my opinion, though that’s also a stylistic thing and many might not agree. The sheer variety of stuff is great, but also daunting. Coming back with this new expansion after a year or so off, I couldn’t get my head around my existing characters and had to start a new one. I might go back and retool my old ones though now that I am getting the hang of it a bit.

For me, the allure of GD is the stuff, the combos of gear, skills, classes, and devotions, and the challenge, as I find it much harder than D3. For instance, it’s about the only ARPG I don’t play on “hardcore” mode with permadeath. I’d be screwed six ways to Sunday if I tried something like that here. (Does it even have a hardcore mode? Dunno.). But when the difficulty spikes, it’s mucho frustrating too.