Grimoire - It has Begun

So, for those of us who are actually interested in the game and can no longer wait for Cleve to release his masterpiece, is there anything out there that’s sufficiently modern and plays like Grimoire? I’ve already tried Lords of Xulima and MMX and I didn’t like Grimrock because of its real time combat. Is there anything else?

Hmmm. The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians is pretty interesting, but combat is both real-time and MMO-inspired (sort of), so not sure if you’ll like it, but it has none of that weird “dance” from Grimrock.

Other than that… I can’t think of anything else, at least not modern/recent.

I actually love this game, but sadly can’t beat the first boss. It’s great though.

Maybe this one?

That looks really solid, thanks. Do you know how long the game is? There’s not a single entry on HLTB.

edit: The FAQ on steam forum says 50h for a completionist run.

notbad.jpg

That looks familiar. Did it start out originally as an iOS game?

Yes, came out in like 2008.

It also has tons of expansions - the latest came out a few months ago, I think.

I had a lot of fun with The Quest on iOS, although it doesn’t have multi-member parties or particularly tactical combat (at least it didn’t back then).

No. It started out in 2006 as a PocketPC game, and achieved popularity as a Palm Pilot game. It’s been in continuous development since then.

But yes, it is available for iOS, and also for Android. As are most of the expansions.

Starcrawlers?

Although, it is not a single decent into a dungeon and has no overworld. It has a number of shorter bite-sized missions (combination of procedural and handmade).

…Also, sci-fi.

But, very good.

I knew I was forgetting something, and it’s Starcrawlers. I didn’t like it as much as I thought I would, but it’s pretty good, I suppose.

Yes, I played it on the PocketPC back then. Lost my save game a long ways in when the memory card died and I hadn’t backed it up. But the game was great, and the new HD version on mobile gets excellent reviews. With numerous expansions, it may actually be what Cleve aspires to, sans all the silly hype.

PocketPC origins means The Quest can be played with keyboard only?

No keyboard. It was a PDA with a stylus. Not sure about current version controls.

To beat the 1st Boss, read here => The wall. :: The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians General Discussions .

Note: I’m the game author… :-)

Oh wow, hi! And thank you!

Hey, that does look intriguing. Somehow completely off my radar. Added to my wishlist now, next sale I’m in!

Same. Watched some gameplay on youtube and it looked very fun - you can even pause in the middle of the combat and queue up attacks - perfect for someone like me who doesn’t like Grimrock’s combat model. I wonder how many more hidden gems like this I might have missed - and if new steam store will help in uncovering them.

I asked Cleve to add support for widescreen displays and CJK characters before releasing the game, but I did not get a response.