Grimoire - It has Begun

Yes, that triggered my scoff.

I’m trying to picture Skyrim after a beautiful Grimoire mod has been applied and all I see are space babies floating in the clouds.

What the fuck does this even mean?

Wait, were you trying to make sense of Cleve?

Quite the opposite.

Probably that others are begging Cleve for a review copy so they can give it a good review.

Ubermensch’s do not simply give the fruit of their labor away to lowly saps. The saps must first genuflect and beg for such riches.

Grimoire Opening Discount of 10%
July 24 - GOLDEN ERA GAMES
I have decided it is just a nice thing to do for people who have been waiting years to play my game if I offered a 10% discount on the game during it’s first week. After this ends, I want to assure anyone waiting for the game that Grimoire will never, ever sell at a discount at any time it is on the Steam store ever again. I won’t permit it to be sold below it’s retail value for any reason. I am too proud of my finished product to permit it to be turned into simply another commodity in a Steam sale. If Valve ever decides that sales of the product no longer justify it having a page then I will move it to another venue - but as the author I will never offer my game at a discount again anywhere. I’m not a corporation that turns out games like sausages and computes their price curves over rates of decay in market value. Grimoire is my unique and proprietary product and I only want to sell it to the most hardcore fans of the genre. I was never targeting the mass market or casual gamers. It is in the first paragraph of the original design document I wrote more than 20 years ago when I was putting a proposal together that described the entire game end-to-end in both story, design and implementation. It was an aristocrat’s manifesto when it was written and the language was specifically that of an aristocrat declaring the game was not going to be designed to appeal to the masses. Only fans of the genre.

In other news, Ellsworth Hall is continuing his development of a full suite of musical scores based on the original MIDI themes he created for Grimoire and these will be offered for sale alongside Grimoire at some time in the future on a CD on the store if approved by Steam.

The release of Grimoire is now one week away.

He’s running a discount when he should be fixing bug #1265253.

Edit: Integrating Ellsworth Hall’s music will probably take another few orbits.

I think in '03 he was still several years away from the Neanderthal thing. He was still talking about Homo sapiens races and his Fallout is real fantasy, and maybe he’d gotten to how there was going to be an ice age rather than global warming (because struggling against an ice age is manly) and how his Asperger’s causes his brain to calculate at hyper-accelerated rates that enable him to predict the future so well (much like Marvel’s Mad Thinker).

He actually swiped the 100% Neanderthal idea from some other blogger, although back in the 60s it was also part of the plot of The Devil Is Dead by RA Lafferty.

Now we have to wait 120 years till a time machine is built so than he can release the game back in 2003 when we still had CD drives so we can play and hear the game as he meant it.

Quoth the humble developer:

The game is coming out in 9 days. If it’s a flaming hunk of crap then it’s still going out. Except it isn’t. From my testing, completely as an objective perspective, I believe I am looking at the greatest RPG in the history of computer games.

Well, he believes in a lot of crap, so believing in one more isn’t that much of a surprise.

Well shit, if he’s saying that it’s objectively the greatest RPG in history, how can we argue with that??

Has Cleve ever actually released an RPG before, by the way?

His only game I know of is a type-to-play Joust clone from the '80s. I’m sure there were lots of those kinds of games back in the day, but what since?

Neanderthals don’t know the concept of subjectivity. They’re directly connected to the very essence of the Universe, so everything is objective to them.

They also don’t know other concepts like projects, milestones, or common sense, but that’s not the point here.

Okay I have followed the progress of this off and on from the old days, and I know Cleve has some problems. But he must be applying all this hyperbole as an affectation or role at this point right? I mean he can’t seriously believe this level of aggrandizement can he?

He has always shown that kind of hyperbole from the very onset of the project.

And whether he believes in this all in earnest, of if he’s just playing a role somewhat, would be better left to a professional psychiatrist to find, I suppose.

Agreed. I wouldn’t want to go down that particular rabbit hole.

I know, don’t want to play psychiatrist. It is just some of his comments are so over the top and unbelievable that it is hard for my mind to grasp the possibility that he might actually and honestly believe in it.