Grimoire - It has Begun

Again EOTB and dungeon master are completely different types of CRPGs. This is like Wizardry.

Over a thousand copies sold in the first 10 hours.

It’s going to sell decently for an indie game, if he follows a sensible discount pattern.

Visibility…

Lots of developers know how to do this but don’t require steam to run the game once downloaded, and I for one appreciate it.

Also I am kind of surprised there are no first impressions here yet. I know it’s very early but still!

Everyone is still in shock I bet.

I’m in shock. But I’m not buying it.

I so wanted to like that. :)

There’s a live twitch stream right now. https://www.twitch.tv/paragusrants

Looks like there are some major graphical issues. Everything that more than a tile away turns white. In the dungeon level the steamer started in, especially with the blank graphics glitch, the terrible turning animation is even worse than in the demo.

edit: Just saw the best comment in the stream: “UI is the strongest of enemies”

I didn’t see that glitch on the other streams.

Freudian slip

The turning viewpoint doesn’t even look right

Yeah it looks like sidestepping, and the white fog is pretty distracting.

Oh wells.

I think it looks nice enough. The problem I am seeing is the dreadful UI (and the winception of that spell system, how many windows in windows can you manage?).

I like all the screen real estate devoted to eternally telling you what game you’re playing. That’s some old school UI right there.

I won’t lie. I was prepared to savage this game, but after 5 hours it’s beginning to win me over.

I was initially having issues the widely reported crashes when clicking on character portraits, but he seems to have fixed that already. The UI is a bit weird, but good for him for trying something different. Combat and exploration is about what you’d expect from an early 90s crawler. I’m not far enough in comment on the story, but I have several breadcrumbs in my quest log hinting at some interesting things.

No manual is a bit frustrating, but I expect we’ll see that soon.

My name is Velvet Elvis and I (so far) like Grimoire.

There is a setting, smooth turn or something, that fixes that when turned off.

Honest truth : I was just now watching a stream of Grimoire and my graphics driver crashed. So meta…

Okay. This is funny.

Wow. I wouldn’t have thought Cleve capable of that degree of self-awareness.

I guess I just don’t get the appeal of a game that faithfully recreates the RPG landscape of, um, twenty or twenty five years ago. Seriously, why? I guess nostalgia is a strong force with some people.

I’d rather whack myself in the head with a claw hammer than play this.

Which end?