Grognard Wargamer Thread!

One thing to keep in mind is a new version of operational art of war is coming out by the end of the year.

Yeah, I bought the PC version and I just wrote Hexwar about problems I’m having getting it to run right. Shame, since Infection is such a good conversion.

This is not my day for buying new games. Congo Merc is a bug-infested piece of shit. Here are the problems I ran into in my attempts to play the PC version:

1. The only way to get the game to launch is by minimizing and then restoring it a couple of times.

2. The set-up screen before a battle comes up empty. Since there is no way to progress without setting up your units, the only way to back out of the screen is a 3-finger salute.

3. Saved your game? Good luck restoring it, since the “load game” screen is empty. And before anyone asks, yes, I’m sure my game was saved, because the files DO appear when I go to save it a second time.

Right now I’m just going to see about a refund.

Oh righto, thanks for warnings on Merc everyone. Shame :(

Aw, tgb. That sucks.

Thanks. That’s 2 Day One purchases today and 2 strikes. I’m going to bed before I strike out completely.

Yeah, supposedly this year for TOAW IV, along with the new Campaign Series Middle East revival/replacement for Divided Ground. But one in the hand, etc. You could certainly buy WitE and get TOAW IV when it comes out as well, but I still think even TOAW III has more play value than WitE unless you are a die-hard Eastern Front grog. YMMV.

Kudos to the guys at Hexwar (publishers of Congo Merc). Not only did they issue me a refund, they also sent me a link to a patch that supposedly fixes everything (I haven’t tried it yet) and said to keep the game by way of apology.

If it works I’ll post impressions later.

I’ll play War in the East when I retire. If I still have my vision. And carapl tunnel hasn’t completely ruined my wrist. And computers of 20 years in the future can still run it.

The singularity will be backward compatible.

I was not aware that somebody had made, and is now making an improved version, of a spiritual sequel to Flight Commander 2.

http://amaris-games.com/category/amac-ii/

That’s cool. I loved Flight Commander 2 and Over the Reich.

Holy crap yay! That is awesome!!! Nice find man!

VERY cool. Nice find.

Ah ha, the War in the East trailer (first one on Steam) has that darn music I knew I had heard before. It’s used by One Finger Death Punch as well. Must be a public domain track that has been used in multiple games.

Any thoughts on Rule the Waves? The Flare Path review on RPS rates it highly.

I’ve never played any NWS games. This one uses the Steam and Iron combat resolution, but seems to include a quasi-historical global campaign focusing mostly on ship design.

The Steam and Iron battle system is excellent, and I’d echo the FP’s recommendation on that alone. I have a Steam and Iron AAR somewhere I’ll dig up for you.

Cheers, I’d be interested to have a read. Seems I am on a naval thing now after playing Command Modern Air/Naval. :)

As promised.

I’d played some S&I and picked up RTW, (then had to wait two days for my key because of the system they use), and I’m having a lot of fun thus far, playing as the Japanese, trying develop a torpedo Cruiser doctrine, while I hold off a growing French threat.

One of the users over at GWJ has started documenting his game as the Americans here. It’s a good read so far, especially around how the encounter system differs when it’s part of an over-arching strategic game, rather than a standalone scenario.