Grognard Wargamer Thread!

I do not, but I did decide to punch Enemy Action: Ardennes and it has me tempted to play the allied Solo game- it’s probably the most robust set of solo rules for a counter-pusher i’ve ever seen.

One of my friends and regular wargame opponents describes it as the only game in which “you play a hex-based wargame, and the system plays one back.”

I so want this vibe but Bulge, meh. he is doing an Eastern Front one right?

It has some really slick things it does to make it easier to play for the AI- for example, if a unit ends up behind the front line, it’ll get put into a generalized reserve and may be used to fill in rear areas if they come under attack, or they might just pop up in a place you’e attacking. The map has a lot of arrows to kind of guide units along when they’re not immediately going for an objective. It’s a really well-thought out system.

The chit-pull combat is also kinda interesting itself.

Yes, Kharkov. To which a lot of people would say, “East Front, meh.” ;)

I would not be put off by the Bulge. It is truly one of the best solitaire wargames ever designed. Butterfield is a goddamn genius.

He is a genius! And of course different folks have different tastes. I respect that.

Well my birthday is coming up next month so maybe by then my wife will have forgotten I just bought a game and I can buy another one that the family can give me for my birthday. :) So many games, so little time.

Are all of those Butterfield D-day games good? I figure since they are by Butterfield that the answer is yes and just depends on whether you are interested in the battle in question (Tarawa, Peleliu, Omaha).

There’s also a Stalingrad game using the D-Day system on the pipeline that I am really looking forward to. Though it’s still some years off, it seems.

I can vouch for the pacific ones. But really Butterfield doesn’t design bad games. or at least I haven’t played one.

Has anyone ever played Imperium Romanum? I see Decision Games is working on a new edition. I remember the game back when WEG had their 2 editions, but I’ve never played it.

Do you just sign up for a SMH membership to get the journal, or is it possible to subscribe without it (didn’t see that option)?

This one?

I remember this being really big for us in my first year in college. As I recall there were some rules issues but in general we had a blast, which on second thought probabl;y doesn’t have much to do with whether or not it is a good game.

If Decision Games is doing a re-issue, though, I’d stay away. Their reprints of old games tend to have questionable “improvements.”

You have to join SMH - the journal comes with your membership. Like most professional journals.

I double-quoted in the same post and @wumpus is gonna LOVE me.

Yes, but they also did a follow up to it:

which is the one I remember from back then. Yeah, that it is decision games doing a reprint is worrisome.

Checking on BGG, yeah, this is the one with the awful rules. Didn’t stop us!

Right, I remember now. I never played the followup which was supposed to fix things. Or at least have better rules,

@Brooski, Am I remembering correctly that you do like the DG reprint of RAF?

Timely! Calandale is playing now!

Yeah, but the add-on Luftwaffe campaign is kinda so-so.

So it seems like Shenandoah’s games- or at least Bulge and Moscow- are up on PS4 now. Does anyone know if these included any balance changes? I loved both games dearly but I think both were slightly to moderately in favor of the Axis.