Grognard Wargamer Thread!

Has anyone played this? Thoughts? Is anyone interested in PBEMing this? The reviews look really good on the Steam Machine (well…all three of them).

Wouldn’t he also have to take into account sales ? Wargames sell in pretty small numbers. I imagine there are some popular boardgames that beat the whole category in sales.

Yes, I got it.

The campaign games were broken in several ways. Philippe T. started releasing a stream of hotfixes - edited data files for you to drop into the game files. I kind of checked it out of my mind in March or April.

Following your refund policy, this may well be an insta refund :)

Hmm…the release date was June 14 and only positive reviews. I wonder if they just pulled it, fixed it and re-released it?

They released first on the Matrix store, I don’t have yet the Steam version. Probably there may be a patch in there, but the sense I got is that Pocus and PhilT were very busy working on their new games on Slitherine’s Archon engine.

PS: I would advise to check out the AGEOD forum and see what is the mood there.

Yeah, Spazio gave it a mixed review, very thorough. I’ll probably stay away…if their engine still crashes on turn resolutions (after what…10 years?!?), then yeah, I’d rather wait until their next offering on Archon.

https://www.spaziogames.it/recensioni_videogiochi/console_pc/22611/wars-of-succession-uno-strategico-per-veri-generali

Google Translated From the Italiano: Wars of Succession is, for better or for worse, yet another confirmation of the canons of AGEOD: the French team has always been a forge of strategists for those who love getting lost in the maze of every single statistic and is not afraid of banging their heads against many patterns to be internalized and also their last effort is attested on decidedly remarkable tactical levels, further enriched by a decisive enhancement of the historical context.
Unfortunately, however, we must point out once again the chronic defects that are inextricably linked to all the games developed by AGEOD, not so much in a barrier of difficult learning, but that revolve around the technical sphere: in fact, Wars of Succession is not exempt crashes, as well as shifts and map management can be a problem even on the most preforming PCs.

Wars of Napoleon was a huge disappointment… I got this one because War of Spanish Succession is a topic I am always excited about… and this game ended pretty much like one of those history books you were lukewarm buying, didn’t quite liked it and put it on a shelve.

Me too. Huge topic of interest! One day I am gonna play the Grand Grand Campaign of these two combined.

I know you don’t like ancients that much, but Alea Jacta Est is probably the best fit for the AGEOD engine.

Low number is stacks, easy chain of command, limited number of non-operational decisions. The combat resolution is wonky (too much a fine grain attempt at simulation :P) and the attrition and supply issues are not strict enough, but there is a mod that fixes that (must be used with PBEM, since the AI does not like the attrition rules).

Also, the 1st Punic War scenario sucks, but there are many, many others that are fun.

It’s the only AGEOD game I’ve been able to really get into. It’s also the best operational Ancients game I know of.

I like the AGEOD well enough, my problem is that the combat resolution runs like garbage on my primary gaming device, my Surface Pro. It’ll run Xcom just fine, but AGEOD combat just drags for minutes per battle.

I got through the letter N today - up to 400 games.

It’s going pretty much according to the stats before: 30% of the games are in any way “historical wargames” and 10% of them aren’t even out.

so this is for 2016-2017, a two year period?

No - only games with a 2017 release date in the database. And in the “Wargame” subdomain.

So We are talking…maybe 100 of 400 Board wargames released in 2017 (up to the letter N) are “Historical Board Wargames” and that includes games of “Sorry” that have been reskinned (with cards, of course) as Renaissance “competition” games.

What do you do if its a wargame on an Alien Invasion during World War 2? Does that count?

If you can meet fellow gamers in meatspace I recommend this one

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameversion/216032/catalan-edition

I can help you with the original rules, sounds like GMT didn’t do a great job translating them.

I am counting anything you or I would look at and say, “yep, that’s a historical wargame.” I am being generous with format (if it’s out, it’s ok, unless it is someone’s crayon drawing) but being a bit of a d**k on mechanics - there is an Agincourt game that says “Agincourt” but I’m not counting it. https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/234689/fields-agincourt
There are others.

Any game set in WWI where the Nazi base is in Antarctica is disqualified. Especially if it is designed by Ty Bomba.

Like, what do I do with this? I counted it, but…

I may take you up on that, thanks!

I think they should all be disqualified (they are all basically other games found elsewhere, right?).

You still didn’t specifically rule out alien invasions.

And the Che thing counts, I guess.

Here is the Pacific War in go and chess form

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/225320/pacific-go

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/224064/pacific-war-naval-chess-game