Grognard Wargamer Thread!

The 1990 list is shorter than the 1980 list. Man, the hobby was cratering, then.

In Greg Smith’s new game Nightfighter Ace from Compass Games, there is an “extremely optional rule” where you can kill Hitler.

As opposed to the Moderately Optional One where you break his legs?

In case anyone is interested in commanding some bombers.

Not sure where to put this but here we go. A retired friend loves to play Total War Napoleon battles on-line to the tune of almost 2700 hours so far. For his birthday his daughter got him this cake.

Thought it was cool and some of you might get a kick out of it.

Your friend has good taste! That might be my favorite of the series.

Also hot damn that is a beautiful cake.

Seriously, that is a downright amazing cake.

That cake is freaking awesome.

Well damn. We obviously need a Cakes that are Battle Plans and Delicious (and Interesting) thread.

They should feature that on the next episode of Gamer Cakez, the hit new reality show on Discovery.

I’m afraid to google if this is real…

Here’s another photo, not sure what the hat is made of

cake3

I read it too quickly and didn’t even realize it was a cake! Damn!

Thank you Bruce for posting the Bomber Command video here. It’s inspiring me to go back to Vassal. The COIN games generally had good pacing for PBEM, Bomber Command looks like it benefits from live play.

Sort of a general question to everyone here: What would you play on Vassal and how? I’d consider both live and PBEM. PBEM is a touch easier for me and I would play the COIN games, especially the one’s without trump cards.

I only play Vassal live. Generally vox on Discord (or Skype, if I have to). It works for any kind of Wargame, but it is really module dependent.

I wil play PBF with @Juan_Raigada , but we generally do resolutions live via PM.

PM me, @Tom_Mc and we can talk if you wanna play.

I would play Empire of the Sun live on VASSAL. If you can’t play face-to-face, this is the next best experience.

I’ve been playing Falling Sky through VASSAL via Google Drive + an active Google chat (although I guess you can use Discord here too) to discuss moves.

It’s been working amazing well and I think it would be preferable to a traditional PBEM setup

Thanks for sharing that, I look forward to my own Stalingrad themed cake too :-)

I want a Siege of Vienna cake, so it can have elements of both Tyrolean and Turkish pastries.