Grognard Wargamer Thread!

It’s an extraordinary game. Even if the player is, at times, more a meat-based CPU than a player

https://i.redd.it/rkon23i6m7f01.jpg

So true. There is a LOT of table looking and dice chucking :) Still it gives you a real epic feel. I also appreciated the inclusion of Allied subs as well as the USA’s mighty Silent Service.

Is it just me or have the Grogheads forums been down for several days? I can get to the front page but not the forums.

Yeah they have been down - technical issues I think, not sure what’s caused it though.

Also of note, Armored Brigade launches today from Matrix Games. We have a review live on Wargamer.com if anyone’s interested in finding out more.

Tacops, 1994

PBEM

Armor Brigade, 2018

It does bear repeating, though, that Armored Brigade should be approached as a single-player sandbox.

Seriously.

As one who never plays these things with other people, nor has any desire to do so, a “single-player sandbox” sounds perfect. I fully get why many will balk at the lack of multiplayer, but it is not a factor for me. I will probably get this as I’m a sucker for the subject matter, though I am going to view a few videos and stuff first.

In other words, you don’t want to believe that people are capable of thinking for themselves. I know that’s a foreign concept to you, but NPCs will be NPCs.

Is this part of that whole super-weird NPC meme going around some alt-right communities?

Because if it is, we’re not okay with it.

Why wouldn’t you be? It’s a concept, not necessarily a meme.

An NPC basically is someone who doesn’t think for themselves, which I explained before I used the NPC term. As you know, an NPC in an RPG is an AI controlled character having no agency. That’s hardly some kind of "hate speech™ if that’s what you’re trying to say. Far less than what SlyDog implied about me.

I am in. Thanks for reminders. Playing this tonight. Will report back.

Man, I wish it had PBEM. Slitherene has to slap these guys around…

Isn’t it a real-time game?

Yeah. But to be fair its a real big feature to add so i understand why.

Oh, sure, but they have the infrastructure (PBEM ++) and are demanding it of all the Devs who work with them. I just think they need to ride herd a on the Matrix Brand a bit harder.

Now having said that, this may be part of that last wave of non-PBEM ++ compliant stuff that was in the pipleline.

Interesting I didnt know that. They know their market better than me, but for games I know about business wise in this genre, multiplayer is used by less than 6% of the customers. I think Triumph stated similar numbers for Age of Wonders.

Either way I will take it if it comes!

Yeah, Slitherine “gets it” in that Multiplayer (PBEM is a tad archaic as a term) brings the modders and the community. Longevity for titles. DLC. Etc. Hence the investment in PBEM++. And they mandate PBEM++ Compliance on titles.

It’s kind of like a boardgame publisher “getting it” re: Vassal Modules.

I have my doubts the next Close Combat will have MP either.

But really happy AB is out, I just have to make time between Red Dead, Warhammer Vampirates and CK2 Holy Fury to play it.

That makes implementation trickier but not impossible. Command Ops hasn’t got PBEM modes due to the complexity of the task and the lack of interest of his owner/developer that described PBEM support as “harnessing a donkey to a Maserati”. Or words to that effect.

FWIW I checked my MP achievements for Field of Glory 2 (Winner, Good Loser). According to Steam only 3% of the Steam player base has them. Even if the proportion changes to 10 to 1 when considering non Steam users, I can’t see those figures having anyone losing their shit and go out of their way over multiplayer support unless the wanted to make a game with that in mind from Day 0.