Grognard Wargamer Thread!

Oh, so you are getting scuttlebutt about it while playtesting. Got it.

Yep, more like noises in the attic.

I had to look up “scuttlebutt”. My second favourite obscure English word of the week after “tawdry”.

I used suss this week.

Pleased take my gift of “naff” , I think everyone will find a use for it.

Polari makes me as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rockin’ chairs

Nice!

I used to like using “pants” like the Brits. Confused everyone.

I noticed that Tank Warfare: Tunisia (from Graviteam) is on sale for $8, or you can get the base game and all of its DLC for…$7.

You know, up to you.

1 turn a day is a pretty aggressive schedule for WitP…

Did a little Combat Mission Shock Force 2 AAR over at Stately Play: http://discourse.statelyplay.com/t/combat-mission-shock-force-2-training-mission-aar/1648

Fun little demo.

You happen to know if this has a scenario generator or is it all fixed? I like the look of Angola meets Combat Mission, but if its just a few scenarios to replay then probably not worth it for my tastes.

It now has a quick battle generator @Rod_Humble. The dynamic campaign is also a scenario generator of sorts, but of course, you are limited by how the order of battle is structured.

FWIW, the latest DLC for the Mius Front game - not Tunisia - covers the 1987 South African incursion into Angola.

Ah gotcha, thank you!

One thing to keep in mind is that it’s 100% real-time, doesn’t have the rewindable impulses of Combat Mission. I’m honestly not sure if I’ll get on with it (I have Operation Star from a bundle, but aside from a stab at the bewildering tutorial, I’ve, uh, never played it), buy I figured for $7 all in I had very little to lose.

EDIT: Well, the tactical bits are real-time. The operational bits are turn-based.

That’s a good caveat emptor. Let me comment on some other features too.

It comes with time compression - up to a factor of 6x - that depends on the capabilities of your computer. There is a comprehensive system of notifications that alert you of anything significant and allow you to jump to the location. Last, there’s an overhead 2D map, that mimicks paper maps, where you can see contours, etc. as well as your troops. You can issue orders from that map if you’re so inclined.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that this is - after the overhaul the developers did last spring - a purely platoon-level tactical simulator. You issue orders directly to platoons, companies of infantry, and either single vehicles or platoons. You can specifiy formations (line, column), depth of formation and some further modifiers for behaviours (like biasing pathfinding towards concealed avenues of approach). The “tactical AI” implements these orders quite competently, but it has trouble - imo - using heavy weapons effectively.

As for unique features, I particularly enjoy night battles. It is pretty tense to have your guys sit down on a snowy treeline and then see those flares up in the sky… as then the enemy infantry materialises from the dark within grenade range of your positions. It can be quite atmospheric.

It can also be quite frustrating, as the UI is very “Soviet” and does not follow the same conventions as Combat Mission (or any RTS I can think of).

@Kolbex @MiquelRamirez

Thanks both!

I found this YouTube video by James Allen about Tank Warfare: Tunisia 1943 to be enlightening:

Happy Christmas, Grognards!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Merry Christmas. I am playing VPG’s Barbarossa Campaign tonight.