Grognard Wargamer Thread!

I’m really enjoying Strategic Command: World at War so far. I love the global scope, and I like the way the game simplifies resources so that one must make tough decisions where to invest – production, research, diplomacy, replacements? It’s real fun to play the UK, as you have to divide up resources among all the Commonwealth countries. It’s even fun to play as China; it gives us interesting back-and-forth combat in a theater that I usually think of as a grinding stalemate. Game turns are refreshingly quick, especially playing as the Allies in the early war.

People say the naval AI may not be up to snuff; too early for me to tell. I’m playing as the Allies in March 1940. So far the Germany AI is on schedule, and, as I mentioned, Japan is giving me an entertaining battle in China. I’ll report more as I play on.

@Spock other than adding the Pacific Theater how is this game different from their Europe at War? I have SCWW2EaW and have never played a scenario to completion. Is this more of the same with much more or is it streamlined to not be more of a chore?

Don’t get me wrong I like SCWW2EaW well enough.

So I got one of Slitherine’s anniversary coupons, and since there was a sale on, I got a game I’d been interested in for a long time, Scourge of War Gettysburg: The Anniversary Collection. Was $19 with the coupon, which is amazing. Can’t wait to try it, as I’m told it’s the best of the bunch.

@BrianRubin I have it but have not played it in quite a while. I do remember having fun with it. Might use my coupon to pick up Field of Glory Empires and the rest of the DLC that I don’t have for FoG2. Adding my coupon to the sale makes it all dirt cheap.

@orald I too kinda bounced off the earlier Strategic Command games. Honestly, I was put off by the drab graphics and slightly beer-and-pretzels feel.

By contrast, this global Strategic Command really has its hooks in me. It still has kinda dreary graphics, but the worldwide scope makes it far more interesting to me, and it’s much deeper than beer-and-pretzels. (Which, in fairness, was doubtless true of the earlier iterations too.) For me, it’s really fun to play Britain’s turns in particular. I have to decide where in the Empire I’m building stuff, whether to reinforce Egypt at the expense of India, where to hunt for German U-boats, what to build, what to research. But as I said above, even China’s turns are fun.

Also, every turn presents new high-level decisions. Some are pretty obvious choices – honor the Nazi-Soviet Pact? – but many make me stop and think. E.g., do the Sovs invade Finland? Should Britain and France support Finland against the Soviets in the Winter War? Should Britain invest in fortifying Singapore against naval invasion? Should Britain press India to join the war or let the Indian Congress sort it out? I imagine modders might really go to town with these decisions. In fact, I could see modders producing an entirely different grand-campaign, with weekly turns, higher counter density, etc.

Now, I may not be the best barometer, because I’m especially interested in the Pacific War. Part of my diminished enthusiasm for the earlier SC games was their forcus on Europe. I’ve read some criticisms that SC:WaW’s AI struggles with the naval game, which wouldn’t surprise me. So who knows, I may be disappointed once I get to 1942.

Indeed, even now I can say the game isn’t perfect. For some reason they have not made the world wrap around itself east-to-west; the eastern US is on the west edge of the map, and the western US on the far east edge, and you navigate between the two using the minimap. It’s clunky but it works fine. The left-click-to-move UI still confuses me a tad, but surprisingly I don’t screw it up much. I wish I could choose NATO icons for ground units but 3D models for ships and aircraft. Normally I play wargames with NATO icons, but here I’ve actually opted for the 3D sprites.

Finally, I’m glad I paid only $20 for it, using the Matrix Christmas sale. That gave me a Steam key, and now the game is in my Steam library. But it’s not on sale within Steam itself.

So, I love it, but bear in mind that I’m a global/Pacific/naval war nut, and I’m a bit tired of Europe-only WW2 games.

The modding community has done a lot to fix up the crappy vanilla graphics

Board game map mod - Board game mod ( ready to use + New upload to simplify install) - Matrix Games Forums (done for War in Europe but works on WaW as well.

Updated counters - New 2D counters ready and available to download - Matrix Games Forums

Holy cow, those look great! I wonder if I can install them mid-game?

I did just notice that the game shipped with some similar mods. I’m eager to try them out. The unit sprites especially can confuse me and lead to mistakes; for example, I sometimes overlook whether a unit is a corps or army.

The substance of the game is great fun, in any case. I’m playing as the Allies on the Intermediate level, which gives the AI no bonuses (as far as I can tell). It took Poland efficiently. It was slower to take France, but only because it moved methodically and sensibly, not recklessly, heh. Also, I like to think I defended pretty well. So France did not fall until early November 1940, a full half-year behind the historical “schedule.”

But then the Germans redeployed quickly, forgoing Sea Lion or even a Battle of Britain, and (with Italian help) quickly conquered Yugoslavia by early March 1941 – actually a month ahead of historical schedule. In the meantime, I mounted a British offensive in North Africa, driving west and taking Tobruk after several tries. But now the Afrika Korps is counterattacking, and the situation remains in doubt. Meanwhile China is a stalemate, but it’s an interesting stalemate, with back-and-forth pushing-and-pulling, and I’ve lost more ground than I’ve gained.

I’m no expert on AI, but I’m pretty impressed so far. I suppose it’s scripted strategically, but it plays well tactically too. It’s particularly good at focus-firing the units in my line. It doesn’t mess around – it picks a unit to kill, and it attacks it 4-5 times until it dies, and then the AI pushes through the gap. And in the Battle of the Atlantic and the Med, the AI has handled its naval forces fine. The big test remains: the War in the Pacific. I look forward to getting to that tomorrow. :)

They’re only cosmetic mods so shouldn’t affect gameplay.

Enablers, all of you!

Am strongly considering buying SC:WW2WaW to add to my collection of games I’m sure I’ll play, someday.

I started up an Allied v AI game of SC: WW2 War in Europe and it took the Nazis till mid-December '39 to take Warsaw. I was controlling the Poles. The AI was so methodical in eliminating all the Polish units with Warsaw last on its list.

Is the AI any better in World at War?

The easy solution is to never play on the defensive side against an AI.

In my one WaW game, Japan knocked out China and Germany beat the USSR, although granted with limited input from me.

That would rule out playing either side if you want to play the entire war?

But for me, no Nazis.

This is usually an issue in WW2 'puter games versus the AI. The Instigator of the action (the Axis, in a WW2 game) are handled by an AI usually about as well as an excited Bull handles a China Shop. This can be ameliorated by playing the 1943 or whatever scenarios, usually, if offered in a WW2 game.

But get ready for a comedy show if you expect a France '40 to be pulled off by the AI Axis side.

@orald @Navaronegun @TimJames Well, the AI did pull of a France '40 in my game – though not til November 1940, heh. It was admittedly too cautious and methodical about it, but it got the job done, and I was fighting it as hard as I could. Plus, the AI accelerated its timetable thereafter, taking Yugoslavia by March 1941, ahead of schedule. It’s now massing on the Soviet border. And this is on “intermediate” difficulty, so no bonuses to the AI.

Well, the way it does that is by “cheating” on its builds. :)

And that is how it does it’s “almost 1941 1940 in France”. Building (at enhanced rates) and attritting you. Which is fine. But it ain’t a “France '40”.

Announcing

The Hollow Crown

a Kingmaker Play By Forum Game.

Kingmaker is an Avalon Hill maximum 7 Player light diplomacy and negotiation wargame set during the Wars of the Roses. Players seek to use their factions to crown the last Yorkist or Lancastrian claimant to the throne as King or Queen of England. Looking for Seven Players. I’ll be moderating. I’ll be organizing the game now, and it should kick off before or after Christmas (whenever the Westphalia PBF is concluded).

Please PM me or respond here to me and I’ll sign you up.

BGG Link here:

Update. We have five. Need (or have room for) two more.

Do you have a link to the version of the rules you are using?

Yes:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/2166/conslodated-rules-set-avalon-hill-kingmaker-2nd-ed

I’ll be cleaning it up and editing/formatting it for ease of use/clarity.

Compass Games Bitter Woods Designer Edition issues, Compass-curious folks.