Grognard Wargamer Thread!

I agree with you about the game design… but my gawd that is one badass truck!

I don’t see any unnecessary chrome there.

Looks like exactly what you would want in the post-apocalypse outback

Has anyone mentioned War in the East 2? Seems very groggy to me and fits this thread.

I would read up in-thread regarding the upcoming expensive non-steam (so no refund possible, worrying for a company that regularly can’t meet gui and display issues for Win10) matrix release of an Eastern Front game where OKH/OKW and Stavka worry about squads.

Erik just posted that WitE2 will be out on Steam at some point this year.

Doveryay, no proverya.

Here is the link to a “first look” just posted by thehistoricalgamer on Youtube: War in the East 2: A First Look | Soviet Counter Offensive | Tutorial Gameplay | Part 2 - YouTube

There are also quite a few tutorial and let’s play videos by Strategy Gaming Dojo out on Youtube for anyone who wants to see more of the game.

I trust Erik. No reason to say it if it wasn’t going to happen.

I don’t trust anything about future promises until they happen, especially from game companies. “Well, the development cycle changed, so we’re pushing that timetable to the right…”. However until it’s on steam and eligible for a refund I’m not even browsing it.

https://youtu.be/tiIPe9ow-BI

I was a playtester. Put it on easy level. Put Air on auto. (The air war is a hard part of the game and I never took it off auto.) Play as the Soviets. Choose the Vistula scenario which features the final drive on Berlin and simply begin attacking. An excellent way to learn the game as you go along. The odds are so heavily stacked in your favor that beginner mistakes are forgiven. Read the manual as you need to. Trying to read it all before you start playing is a losing proposition. Just start playing. Also Strategic Gaming Dojo has some excellent videos, albeit lengthy. I have been playing wargames since the seventies. This is a pinnacle of the art. Being part of the playtest was like being in the wargaming equivalent of the Manhattan Project!

I don’t know that I necessarily WANT to buy it, but I know that I’ll end up buying it, because I feel I HAVE to buy it!

I have been messing around with it since release yesterday. I think there are a lot of improvements over the first one, but it’s still a beast to learn all the systems and more or less understand everything. That said, this is exactly the game I wanted at this time.

If you liked the first one, you’ll probably like this one better, and if you didn’t like the first one, this one won’t change your mind.

Against my better judgment, I bought this, because I knew I’d get it one day and might as well save 10 percent. Of course, I was an idiot. On my system, and on others it seems, the game’s text is nigh-on unreadable at 1440p or higher. The text simply does not scale, no matter how you fiddle with the compatibility stuff. Apparently in 2021 the alleged programmers working on this can’t figure out that people run games at resolutions above EVGA.

Was this a problem with WITE and WITW?

Apparently there are some people getting freezes and crashes due to playing with dpi scaling as well, so trying to fix the one issue and hitting another.

Warned you.

Yes.

I’ve only posted this in here 100+ times. It’s endemic to Matrix and why I wait for Steam so I can get a refund. It’s like these guys are designing for Windows 7 or something.

Sings “Show Don’t Tell” by Rush

Yeah, I know. I will be ruthlessly cynical when buying say a car, or paying for house repairs, but games still sometimes get me :(.

Here is what Erik posted regarding the issue:

We did have testers running in higher resolutions as well as DPI scaling and frankly thought the issue had been resolved during development. If you’ve already done what’s in this thread below and it didn’t solve the issue for you, then the only solution in the interim is to adjust your resolution down until we can find and fix the remaining issue(s) in an update. This is a high priority for us.

Here is the link mentioned above that seems to have a fixed the issue for many for people with the problem: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4987629

That’s their solution to everything. It hasn’t worked on any of the previous games that are matrix rereleases. Their solution is essentially to turn off scaling on windows 10 for everything else you do to run their game. And even then the text doesn’t read properly. It’s ridiculous. Maybe we can get a programmer and a company who actually designed for normal users on windows 10 using hi res screens and not a bunch of 70+ men on laptops.

I appreciate the attempt to help, but none of that stuff works. The game isn’t crashing, and the actual graphic (not text) elements in the game look fine, and scale fine. It’s the text, for things like unit details, menus, etc. that is borked. It’s an issue that only shows up really in this line of games, though I don’t recall having it in WiTE 1 (but that was on a different system).

While perhaps @Navaronegun puts too sharp a point on it, he’s essentially right. Just because I first played a Grigsby game on a C64 doesn’t mean I’m still playing on one.