Grognard Wargamer Thread!

That’s super helpful @AlekTolstoi, thanks for taking the time to share that. I’ll add it to my wishlist for when I get further into the books I’ve picked up now.

Table expansion complete!

I’m due to partake in my first COIN game at the end of October, I think it’s going to be A Distant Plain. Any advice on side for a first timer and a recommendation on any gotcha’s I should consider when learning it?

I think someone on here has quite a bit of experience with that game iirc? :)

Needs more dog.

Seriously, though, nice work! Boardgamers can never have enough table real estate.

-Tom

Thanks, Tom!

I’m thrilled with how it’s turned out. I’ve got two medium-sized games set up now, side by side, and plenty of space for manuals and doodads. And it breaks down and stores away in a couple of minutes.

And yep, dog likes to hang out underneath as well.

Learning my two COIN games is still on my list of things to do, so I can’t be of much help that way, but have you checked out the COIN Discord server? It’s fairly active and lots of helpful people in there.

Here’s the link:

I haven’t, thank you. I really haven’t got much into Discord communities at all. I guess that’s where all the cool kids hang out nowadays! )

One of the best of the COIN games. Warlords gotta warlord.

I guess it’s back to this thing.

Any advice for my first game?

Are you enjoying it? My anniversary coupon arrives in my inbox in 4 days.

Just started a new game of Wite2 as well! Some good mods have started coming out. I’m playing with Cored for lots of photos and stuff COREd War in the Eeast 2 model, factory and leader graphics mod - v1.0 and the Memories of the rain map "Memories of the rain" - MAP

I nearly took Smolensk on Turn 3 - my best start yet!

1. Look carefully at the victory conditions and see who needs what.
  2. Figure out who you’re playing
  3. Look at the map and see where the Pop and Resources are.
  4. Take all the cards and read them.5a. Separate out the cards into two stacks:
    (a): I don’t care if this happens, or I can live with this happening but it’s not great
    (b): I do not want this to happen
    6b. Go back through stack (b) and decide which of those have an event that you really want to have happen.

You will be monitoring the game for cards in the (b) stack. You don’t want to be ineligible to block an event you really don’t want, or to take an event you really want.

Holy Mother of Russia! Screen Envy.

Yeah, super wide screen is nice for that game.

Anyone have a suggestion for a “family board game night” level wargame? Family being two adults and two teens - although my wife does tell me that emotionally I’m 16 at best, so maybe one actual adult.

Hard to beat the ‘Quartermaster General’ games for that. I like ‘1914’ the best, but they all seem good. One of those games that I was sure I’d hate until I played it and enlightened myself.

I’m surprised anyone can get WITE2 to look good on wide or high-rez screens. The game and especially the fonts do not scale well. If at all.

I know people complain about this, but I haven’t had any problems so far. Here is the screen at 3440x1440 on a 34" monitor.

Btw, this is the modded map that @SamS linked above.

EDIT: Huh - it’s only linking as a 1920x792 image. No idea why. I guess you’ll have to trust me that it looks great!

Is that the same game from the earlier picture?