Grognard Wargamer Thread!

That was not my intention. Hooboy, little did I know that this is such a charged issue. So I guess using a toenail clipper is de classe? I kid

Ha!

At least you didn’t ask people how they define “wargame”.

Or more locally, if the Japanese could have won the Pacific War.

Only if they had clipped their counters better.

Hahaha! Nicely played! Thanks, I needed the humor after a stressful day.

Jeff Bezos delivers. Let the unboxing begin!

Eat lead, Fritz!!

How’s it going? :)

Thanks for asking. I set up the game and have gone over the rules but I’ve yet to play. This is the busiest time of year for me, so I will dive in after November 8.

From what I see though I think this will be a perfect game for me so I’m eager to give it a go.

Y’all may make a grog of me yet.

Glad to hear it! Looking forward to hearing some After Action Reports as you get going in November. :)

Lots of really interesting wargame designs, what a time we live in!

I understand, but wish Oregon Laminations were more consistent with the height of the openings, and perhaps sold a couple models with different opening heights. Not entirely their fault though, I was finishing up clipping MBT this morning, and there were counters in the same sheet that some went in extremely smoothly, and others were a very tight fit.

I need to clip Red Storm: Baltic Approaches, and then I think the smallest game left is Empire of Sun. Still have Pacific War, A Time for Trumpets, and The Third Winter to clip as well.

Ooh. I just got an reward from someone at work. Maybe I should start my Butterfield collection.

For those considering the game I found this to be representative of play.

I got a few moves in on a War Room game today. A large chunk of it, obviously, was having the person explain the game to us.

God, this game checks so many boxes for me. I wish I could just sit in a comfy chair all weekend with friends playing it.

We did not play the quick-play battles as the guy forgot to bring them. The mechanics I found were suprisingly not hard to grasp. There is a lot to the game, but the rules etc. aren’t daunting.

Just got a 50% off my next purchase for the Matrix anniversary, and now I’m wondering… Hmmmm

I just bought the newer Civil War game from them. Have NO time to learn it…printed out the huge manual. Damn, why did I think I would have any free time…used to love playing WITE and WITP and all those monster games…young man life…or I guess retired man life, but not there yet.

The new Flashpoint Campaigns game has released today.

https://www.matrixgames.com/news/flashpoint-campaigns-southern-storm-out-now

$60 though. I think that is $20 more than the last.

I got in the beta (briefly, then had to replace my machine and sort of forgot about it, heh) and what I saw then was very good. If you like the original you’ll probably love this one, though sixty clams is about twenty more than figured as well. OTOH, they are positioning it not as a sequel but as the first of a new series, given the amount of changes under the hood I guess. The manual is available from the website, if anyone is interested.

I think I will get it because I really liked the original and this period has always been of interest, and the southern theater is much less plowed ground than Fulda Gap and points north. It’s the type of game that rewards some sustained commitment though. It’s not Paradox levels of wtf but while easy to get into is pretty challenging to get good at.

Wow that is old school Matrix 2010 type pricing for a wargame. I was definitely expecting this at the $40 mark.

I just got my annual 50% discount code though…

I’m sure I will end up getting it.

Me too

And purchased. Looking forward to playing around with this later. I’ll imagine T-72 turrets popping off until then.