Grognard Wargamer Thread!

Wishlisted for sure. This looks a little more ambitious than Vietnam '64 and Afghanistan '11. Hopefully this turns out well.

I have a few qualms about playing as the soldiers of the apartheid regime fighting against what, arguably, can be considered an anti-colonial military organization, or at least one with its origins in anti-colonial struggle. The blurb on Steam mentions the UN and popular support, etc. but nothing about apartheid or the implications of the racial dimensions off the conflict. I mean, yeah, one can find all sorts of things to criticize about the US vis a vis Vietnam, but nothing that is quite like the situation with South Africa.

Looking forward to Angola 86. I can think of a few board games on the topic, but I do not think there has been a computer game on the topic.

There is a Mius Front expansion. It lets you play both sides.

Looks like GMT is adding a couple more games on P500 for anyone that needs another Cold War gone hot, or US vs Russia game:

Spearhad: The Balloon Goes Up! Vol 1

Decisive Action

I had forgotten about that! Never got into Mius Front. I might try it out.

Any grogs here play Firefight? It’s a solid Close Combat clone released by Sean O’Conner (most famous for Slay) in 1998 along with his other Windows games. Every half a decade he updates it, first porting to iPhone in 2016, then making a HD Steam release. The other month he added Russian units. And this week he’s added multiplayer support!

Oh man, there’s an Android version and it’s quite highly rated, too. I feel another unnecessary purchase coming on!

The music in that trailer screams “90s military flight sim” to me. Love it.

Is this RTS?

Ohhhh, how did I miss this? I love Close Combat! Thank you!

That’s awesome! I have the old original version and some of his other games from back then. He did a cool version of the boardgame Atlantis I think. Will have to check out the updated Firefight.

On June 29th a free DLC on the Russo-Japanese War, Imperial Sunrise, will be available for all owners of Strategic Command: American Civil War:

https://www.matrixgames.com/news/strategic-command-american-civil-war-1904-imperial-sunrise-is-coming-soon

I am looking forward to this as the Russo-Japanese War hasn’t been given much coverage by the hobby.

Yeah, and when it does get some lovin’, it’s usually naval war, because Tsushima. The land war gets short-shrift.

Yeah, and the land war is fascinating with Japanese banzai charges that sometimes worked, use of balloons to bomb by both sides, the impact of modern artillery and machine guns,etc. The war was not studied enough prior to World War I, as the immense casualty lists of 1914 demonstrated.

Interview with @Brooski by Ardwulf and Dan:

I love the bit asking whether you had a shelf of games. Just waiting for them to see a pic of the gaming room.

Pretty cool there is a 12 hour live stream for the anniversary of Waterloo

That is cool. I visited the battlefield long ago, but I think it was raining and really I didn’t get to see all that much.

Wargame Design Studio is having a sale right now. Titles that have been out a year or more are 25% off .

Oh wow, Turcan’s Waterloo and Austerlitz are on Steam (and GOG, where currently they are a buck seventy five each) now! Not the Amiga versions, alas, which I think are quite a bit prettier than DOS ones, and I don’t think the manuals are included, but a PDF of the Austerlitz one is around and I’ve seen a text-only version of Waterloo’s, too.

These games are like the ancient predecessors of the Scourge of War games.

I wish Sid Meier’s Gettysburg would pop up on gog, along with the napoleonic games someone did with the engine.