GTA4: How do I save my car?

You and EpicBoy are the only people I’ve seen complaining about this. Have you tried messing with your brightness/contrast?

Really? I have a 55" TV running in high def and I’ll be damned if I can read messages on that phone without serious squinting. Everything else is great, including the mini-map.

Hehe, speaking of cars going missing, Niko goes to a bar with Michelle and parks the car nearby (not very close) and when they come out, hey presto, no car! So I proceed to bust the window of one and hotwire it right there. You know how that impresses the ladies. :-)

that happens when niko and michelle go drinking at irish bar, I think it actually happen everytime you get drunk at a bar.

I had this happen twice, but after looking around it turns out there’s um, valet parking. That is, the vehicle was moved automagically into another spot around the bar.

I’ve come out of buildings and found that some random car had pushed my car down the road 50 feet or so.

Yeah, that’s happened to me, too. It’s annoying.

I never understood why Rockstar ever bothered with the garage parking thing. If it doesn’t save the car indefinately, well…I’m only going to trash or lose it anyway! After GTA3, I’ve never bothered to ever use the garage in these games, just seems pointless.

SR does sound great though! Trudge back to my garage and a car I WANT to use is waiting for me? Makes total game sense!

I make sure to hard brake into the sidewalk when I get to the bar. Take out a few pedestrians and make sure my car doesn’t go anywhere. Smiles all around.

after doing some missions for one of the contacts, they send me an Infernus(I think it’s a lambo, the doors slides up and down), that car is so nice, I hope I can always go back to the garage where I got it, and get another one if the one I currently have blows up or something.

I lost my car after a night of heavy drinking (while Michelle didn’t touch any), and it was on a long street without corners in sight.
If it moved to the other side of the building, that basically meant I’d have to run 2km one direction, around two corners, then 2km back.

I also had to adjust brightness (two or three taps brighter). The only other game I’ve ever done that in was Condemned (one step).

When I enter multiplayer, I always return to my apartment after exiting that mode. Try entering and
exiting multi for a quick teleport to a reasonable save point.

I lost my car after a night of heavy drinking

Well … :)

You don’t want to do that if you’re looking to get back to your safehouse for the purpose of saving; every time you enter Multiplayer, the game explicitly warns you that you will lose any unsaved progress. If you just finished a mission (with autosave on) and just want to get back to your safehouse though, feel free to make use of this tip.

If GTAIV has done anything… ANYTHING… it has made me even more excited for Saint’s Row 2 getting released this August. =)

GTAIV is fun too, but Saint’s Row was just more… fun, y’know?

Anyways Liberty City will hold me over til August and then it’s back to Stilwater for me!

I have this exact same problem and a similar setup.

it depends on your TV’s settings. at a friends house it was easy to read, but at home on my HDTV it was nigh impossible, till I turned the brightness up.

They did copy the GPS (I actually think Saints Row’s is better) but the cellphone is heavily improved over Saints Row.

Anyone have any luck trying to cram the military attack helicopter in your parking space? It would be fun to be able to fly that around without the 4 star minimum that acquiring it entails.

Okay, I can’t help it, but I’m getting attached to certain cars. It seems the game is pretty good about letting you keep your car when you drive it into one of those floating cutscene chevrons, so I’m not so paranoid now about my favorite ride vanishing.

However, I’ve lost far too many cars when I have to retry a mission. Say, for instance, that I’d driven my favorite Comet to a mission. The cutscene introduces the mission, I go back out on the street and my Comet is still there. So I drive my Comet to the mission and I commence missioning. But as I’m progressing, it seems that a lot of the missions expect multiple tries. So I fail and emerge onto the reset streets, where my cell phone beeps me with a message that will let me retry the mission. Yep, that’s what I want to do! So I select retry and…

I’m bampfed back to the street following the mission intro cutscene and my Comet is nowhere in sight! Anyone know a way around this? Because if I can figure out how to get past a cell phone retry without losing my ride, I’ll be much more comfortable actually using the cars I like instead of leaving them parked outside my safehouse.

-Tom

Just let it go, Tom. This is R*. You’ll play their game the way THEY like it, and that’s just how it’s going to be.

I’m just plowing through trying to enjoy the story and characters, because that’s about all there is here.

Can’t wait for SR2.