GTA4 - Initial Impressions (Spoiler McSpoilersons) thread

I am done playing. After 7 hours, I still haven’t had any fun with this game. I died during a gunfight (weed dealers) where there was an EXPLODING BARREL in this apartment randomly (hey I had never encountered an EXPLODING BARREL in the game prior to this), and in that clumsy way that the game encourages you to move and shoot while not being able to see anything indoors, I rounded the corner and took aim at the guy with the shotgun… and shot the EXPLODING BARREL, apparently. Insta-dead. Fuck this game.

Can I have your stuff

I forgot to add, that I haven’t encountered many cool secrets or stuff, but I really like how tall the buillding/towers you can climb are and how far you can look.

Those ufo-like towers (also in Men in Black) even have binoculars - I am really looking forward to my first sniper rifle…

So, did anyone else notice the Philip Glass being played in TW@? It’s from Koyaanisqatsi, as I recall.

Well, if so, the shitty cars are even shittier than usual.

And the cop cars seem to be worse than I remember; similarly, the NRG 9000 (or whatever the acronym is, the fast bike, curse this metal brain) is not quite the greased lightning of former times. I really hope it will all improve once I get a feel for the new handling, or when Niko’s driving stat improves, oh wait.

The fire-truck seems about the same though. Sliding into other vehicles on accidental purpose never gets old.

Edit: OK, the bike is still fast. I attempted corners at high speed and got bigger drifts than I remember. As one of the presumably non-shitty vehicles, I expected it to perform better. As one of the vehicles I drove a lot in previous games, the difference was noticeable. I will give it another try in case Im doin it wrong.

Man, you have got to be kidding. I drove the NRG 9000 to the airport, went a bit too far out, got the perma-four star assault, and managed to make it halfway across town to hit a pay and spray without being stopped once. That bike is magic.

I noticed that he had a knife, and thought “cool, I can kill him and get my first weapon!”, except in the melee, I “accidentally” punched him out of a window in the warehouse, and he fell in the sea and died. Didn’t feel like jumping in after the knife.

The knife was sitting there on the floor next to the window after I’d dispose of him in the same manner. Is there any other way to take him out?

I think he’s supposed to have the knife. At least in my game this lead to a tutorial mesage on how to disarm opponents, which I did and stabbed him in the face.

Right at the start of that fight it pops up a tutorial message telling you how to disarm opponents…

I took his knife, but didn’t hit him through the window :(

Edit: beaten to it

Yep, I heard some Glass on the Journey radio station and I couldn’t believe it. I really do miss a classical station, though.

Wow, so I’m not the only one. Each game since GTA3 I’ve been hoping for a return of Double Clef FM. There was nothing quite like a police chase accompanied by opera playing on the radio.

I’ve found myself sticking to the Jazz stations in this one, nothing else on the soundtrack really appeals to me.

Most of my favorite memories of the cinematic NYC are accompanied by some jazzy score or another, so JNR makes a fine station for cruising the city to.

In Burnout Paradise I so want the classical tracks as part of the regular stuff.

I had a great moment when I was chasing down some guy fleeing in a vehicle. I jumped in the first car I saw and Right Brigade by the Bad Brains was playing on the station. It’s an awesome song and I hadn’t heard it in a long time, so it made the chase a lot more memorable. When the breakdown part started, I rammed the guy into a wall got out of the car and shot the guy in the head while he was still sitting in his car. I guess I wasn’t supposed to, because I failed the mission, but it was a great moment in videogaming for me.

How do you disarm people? I missed that, apparently.

God forbid they actually put anything about gameplay in the fucking manual.

I forget how exactly but it did mention it. I got the guy’s knife but I’ll be damned if I can remember how now.

To disarm I think you had to counter an attack and hit Y afterwards(360). To counter you obviously have to hit A(block) just as they are about to attack you, follow up with Y and you get a unique animation of disarming. I think this is how I remember taking his knife in that fight.

The thing that irks me about there being no Stats or RPG elements is that the driving is never gonna get any easier. All the cars are super squirrley, esspecially in the rain. Touch the parking break once and yer halfway through doing a donut. If there were RPG stuff like in San Andreas, then maybe the increase in stats would make cars easier to drive.

Guess I’ll just have to get used to the driving. The Gears of War stuff, however, is a great addition, even if it’s sometimes caused me to run into the line of fire and lean up against a wall inside the room with the bad guys.

I also kicked him into the sea, no knife for me =( I did get the pistol from the jamaican tho.

So for those who are a lot further into the game: HOW BIG a deal are the choices you make to let people live or die? I’ve only faced this once and hadnt really considered a play style but let him live this time…