Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

I think Vision has that role, given he has Warlock’s stone on his head.

If anyone wants to know whether or not Adam Warlock will be in Infinity War:

Gunn said no according to the headline for an article I didn’t actually read at CBR. Presumably Adam will be for GotG v.3

That’s my biggest gripe with the plot, they needed some other socially incompetent moments that would have foreshadowed that reveal, or some event that would have made Ego think that Peter was joining him in his work and embracing being immortal.

Not every “emotional” moment worked. Gamora and Nebula’s drama was overly talky, and the playing catch moment was cringe-inspiring. I speculate that Gunn must not be able to deal with sentimentality well, or he hates it and wants to get it over with ASAP. Either way, it was clunky in an otherwise slick movie that made its points about family, parentage, and loss in other, better ways.

That said, it had a bunch of fun moments. Loved their version of Mantis, great credits sequence (right up there with Deadpool), characters like Rocket and Yondu got to stretch their legs a bit, Drax remained awesome, and now I’m curious about the other Ravagers.

Gamora and Nebula’s moments were pretty spot on, for two waring sisters.

Just caught a matinee. Thoroughly enjoyable, very fun, plot was so formulaic you could see everything coming a million miles away but ah well.

Tons of wonderful little moments though:

• like a dozen Drax bits. He was genuinely great.
  • “I’m gonna make some weird shit” was pure Andy Dwyer and I frikkin’ loved it
  • About 75% of Baby Groot
  • Rocket’s relationship with Groot
  • Gamora manually chaingunning Nebula’s downed ship with a freakin’ starship chaingun, ahahahaha
  • Weird plastic Kurt Russell alien orgy made me giggle
  • The obvious '80s arcade bleep-bloops in the Sovereign control center
  • Pac-Man!

Couple of quick tidbits I didn’t realize about this movie:

1. The main story takes place just a couple of months after the first movie, which means this all takes place before Age of Ultron.

2. Ego was actually part of the Fantastic Four movie right package, so technically Fox owned him. Fox wanted to use Negasonic Teenage Warhead for Deadpool 2, but didn’t want to use the powers she has in the comics. Since the license contract has restrictions on how much the studios are allowed to change a character, Fox couldn’t just rewrite her into what they wanted without permission. Thankfully, James Gunn really wanted Ego for his movie, so both studios were able to work out an agreement.

On your point #1, what temporal connection is there between the first Guardians and the events of the Earth-based MCU? The Collector is the only thing I can think of, but I don’t remember that pinning events in time.

Nothing, really. There’s the cameo with Stan Lee that kind of contradicts this:

His cameo with The Watchers features a bit of dialogue in which he mentions being a “delivery guy” which one can assume refers to his cameo in Civil War, but I guess a) it’s a fun scene not intended to be taken seriously and b) they’re Watchers, so time means nothing to them.

Well, a background event in the story takes place on Earth. That event is not noticed (at least on film) by any other member of the MCU, though it destroyed a small town in Bumfuck, Nowhere (Kansas?). And with this being tied vaguely into Thor 3 (which obviously happens after A2), it could create a continuity mess for the Infinity movies.

I don’t think “lack of notice” can ever lead to a continuity mess. The MCU movies aren’t exhaustive historical chronicles.

From what I can recall, I think they have a clean canvas for hooking Guardians in whenever (timeline-wise) that they want within the last year-ish or so. The only real constraints are Quill being abducted in 1988-ish and now being mid-30’s (or whatever he said in vol. 2).

Other than a character’s face showing up in the credits, this doesn’t have any ties to Ragnarok I could see.

GotG v2 takes place a few months after v1, their appearance in Infinity War will be several years after v1 and v2. The only potential for weirdness is likely to be Groot’s age, which they already took care of showing him as an adolescent in the credits scene (with no clear indication how far after the events of the movie that was). I don’t see any entanglements going into the future movies.

yeah, that’s why I said ‘vaguely’, though we won’t know if there’s any more until after Thor 3, obviously.

The other continuity problems can and probably will be addressed during the Infinity movies. It’ll just be a bit odd that their appearance here was just a couple months after the first (though most MCU movies seem to move in ‘reality time’), and their next appearance will be four or five years later.

You could be right but this is the first one that really puts part of the Avengers in space, more than just flying up their for a moment that is. That seems important for Guardians meet up.

The second Thor movie was fairly ‘cosmic’ IIRC (which, frankly I don’t put much faith in, honestly- it was pretty forgettable). I think the Collector showed up there first, then in GotG 1.

True but Hulk is in the next Thor and pretty much everyone else in the Avengers is from Earth… except Thor.

Regarding the music:

I wonder how much MS has paid for the Zune instead of an iPod to be featured in this movie…

LOL. I’m pretty sure they wish everyone could forget that product ever existed.

Me: A proud owner of the brown brick Zune.

I would assume zero, since MS doesn’t sell them anymore. It was picked specifically because of how it is dated to a short period in the '00s and how anachronistic it seems to a modern viewer.

I own a Zune too and it is a good product. Too bad it is not supported anymore… :(

Still us my 64gb Zune HD, mostly for driving music. Going to be sad when then thing gives up the ghost.