Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

I’m not equipped for a proper English semantics argument. Truth be told I’m not entirely sure of the difference between looking, seeing, viewing, watching, I just try to write non-weird sounding English in my head.

the easiest way to say it for me would be that what is on the screen is the same for everyone, but each person perceives it their own way.

Liked the first half of the movie, but all the emotional melodrama fell completely flat for me. I didn’t know nor care about Yondu nearly as much as I would have to in order to actually feel anything other than embarassment during his 20 minute long dying scene. Maybe I should have rewatched the first film before seeing this.

And I kinda hated how the whole thing hanged on Ego (what a stupid name, urgh) telling Peter about putting a tumor inside his mom’s head. What a dumb thing to say to your kid if you want to convince him to join you. Peter’s reaction was fun, sure, but the stupidity of it was just too immersion breaking.

And then the usual cliches…

And how wasted Kurt Russell, one of my favourite actors alive, was…

First film was better.

I don’t have kids, so forgive the puzzlement, but is it a valid gripe that a 9 year old gets upset at a PG -13 movie?

Saw it last night,thought it was great!

I think for him it was just the situation of a father going bad and killing his own children, then attacking Peter. He obviously applied that to himself and got upset over the imaginary thought of his own father acting that way.

Well, you certainly are not Drax, because the point of Lloyd’s comment clearly went right over your head. The point was about you exposing your kid to a movie clearly rated for beyond his age and then complaining about the movie’s content being too much for him.

I got his drift with the PG-13 comment. Congrats on your loaded word choice of “exposed” though.

Movies can be PG-13 for various reasons. So far the MCU films have been pretty safe fare, aside from a bit of language here 'n there that he knows not to repeat.

Oddly enough, a co-worker saw it this week and blew a spoiler comment out in front of everyone with a, “Weird watching Kurt Russell go so dark, especially in a Marvel movie.”

Nope there was no innuendo in my use of the word exposing. It merely fit the sentence. You were the one bothered by a part of the film your child found disturbing. So yes, you exposed him to content that may have been a bit much for him. All I am saying is that is not on Marvel nor is it on the film rating panel. You were warned and chose to ignore the warning. Dont try to cover your ass by calling me out for the usage of a single word. Thats kind of punk.

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m doing, trying to “cover my ass” for my awful parenting by pointing out your semi-hyperbolic language. I should’ve predicted this movie would’ve had a cave full of filicidic bones and a father who murders a mother and wants to enslave his son, if necessary. That’s certainly in line with every other MCU movie’s tone. But now that you’ve caught me out I’m scrambling to be a punk.

Fuck off.

Thank you for realizing the errors of your ways. Frankly, I don’t give a rats ass how you parent your kid. I just found it amusing how you placed the blame. Oh and fuck you too.

You sure love to project. First a point that didn’t go over my head went over my head (I ignored it because I’m not interested in turning this thread into a meta discussion on parenting). Then I exposed my child despite explaining to Loyd that my son’s reaction was his reaction, and you can never accurately predict how anyone will do so. I then ignored a warning, despite this film being a good bit darker than any other MCU film in terms of something that would affect a kid, most of which I believe are also been rated PG-13 and have been fun, formulaic romps with content that never once bothered my son. Followed by covering my ass for pointing out your need to jump in with hyperbole, which apparently makes me a punk. And last, I placed blame apparently avoid taking responsibility for my long history of bad parenting decisions.

All this for noting my son got a little upset over Ego’s actions and how I felt it seemed anomalous compared to other MCU movies.

You’re awesome. Please send me a link when your best selling and seminal work on parenting is published.

Well, unnecessary personal attack by John aside, I didn’t read his initial comment as a slam on Marvel or an excuse to bring his son to a PG-13 movie. Perhaps he had unnecessarily loaded it himself by mentioning that his son is 9, but if that scene had upset my older son, my own experience would have been negatively impacted as well (not directly due to the merits of the movie).

To assume that MCU can’t go grim dark shouldn’t be laid on Marvel though.

Wait, I’m the one making personal attacks? Read my post above yours and tell me I’m the one making attacks here.

That aside, you’re spot-on with what I was conveying. I never slammed Marvel, I noted it diminished my enjoyment of the movie. I never placed blame, I noted this content struck me as out of place compared to the rest of the MCU movies (I mean, c’mon, a cave full of dead kids murdered by their father is dark shit).

Edit: And for the record, my son has begged me to watch the Netflix stuff and I haven’t let him.

I thought you could have done without profanity, that’s all. This thread could be rated PG-13 for many reasons but not usually for language (that’s P&R!).

edit: fully with you on the Netflix stuff. I usually warn other adults about how rough those can get, especially the episodes with Punisher, and just about every episode with Jessica Jones. I like them but they are certainly not for kids.

Sorry for the can of worms…

Ok, John you are the one who went all Planet Hulk on me over a frikkin joke. You could have easily said that your intent was not to rip Marvel for content but you chose to attack me. I responded in kind. Anyway, its run its course and I will drop it so the thread can get back on track. Oh and when my book is finally published I will send you an autographed copy in lieu of an olive branch. ( ps: thats a joke )

The Drax comment was a joke but nothing else in your responses to me was intended to be funny/amusing. Your rhetoric was unnecessary and over-the-top. And no one honestly extending an olive branch ends their post with a snarky (that’s a joke).

I thought this was fine, I guess? Drax was great, and Michael Rooker and his arc was a highlight and unexpectedly affecting, but it kind of fell flat as a whole. I think I might be starting to tire of Chris Pratt.

I think Yondu delivered my favorite line of the movie: “He might’ve been your father but he wasn’t your daddy.” Or close to that. It was a nice arc for that character, showing how soft he was on Peter and realizing what that cost him.

Drax thinking that Yundu was Quill’s dad was a nice touch.