Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 - Dance battle returns?

Super enjoyable and I didn’t have any issues with the end dragging out. Strong humor and action along with some tear jerking scenes and character moments. I thought they really gave each character some good stuff and Mantis was borderline Oscar bait, in a good way. Cool cameos all I’ve the place and a good villain and plot that was personal and big at the same time but not Universe in Peril big. Not sure when we’ll see these folks again but I can’t wait.

I thought it was wonderful. It mostly ignored the rest of the MCU and closed the trilogy. With this one and Endgame, I think Marvel is wrapped up for me with a satisfying end.

I really loved this film. Felt a bit overlong and the third act can get a bit bonkers, but there’s a lot of delicate messages made rather indelicate and in-your-face here, and I appreciated all of it. I kind of wish they had left some of the cameos out of the credits at the beginning, would have made a much better surprise. Gunn’s ability to bring in all sorts of cameo characters and give them life and at times purpose is amazing (the homing arrow/Sam Gunn bit perhaps getting the most annoying).

Before the movie they had a trailer for the latest Fast & Furious one and I just kept thinking how these franchises in ways could be compared and constrasted with one another and yet Guardians is far superior in every way.

— Alan

Was good, Marvel is going to regret not having Gunn available in the future.

Good, not great, to my kid and I. A little long for sure. Darker than the other ones. I still like one the best and two a bit better than this but it was worthwhile and definitely the best MCU movie since endgame.

I’m as big a Marvel fan as anyone, but I think James Gunn would have eventually gotten bored with doing the same movies, or working within the same franchise at Marvel. Say what you will about DC, but I give them credit for giving Gunn free rein to pick whatever project he wanted to do, and I think it’s a smart move to have him co-lead the studio. I’m really excited to see how their slate comes together.

The thing is, at least from what I remember, James was being set up to be a “second in command” to Feige, with influence over the entire Marvel brand, and not just GotG sequel machine.

But sure, co-lead is a promotion, all that needs to happen now is for the movies to be good.

This is not only the best Guardians movie, it’s also the best Marvel movie. No other writer or director working in the superhero genre operates on the same skill level as gun – serve up laughs, create set pieces, borrow from and appropriate source material, write and direct meaningful character interaction, and keep the story moving.

Also, Gunn wasn’t kidding when he said that the actor who plays High Evolutionary is great. HE is the villain that they wanted Kang to be but couldn’t make it work.

Not sure about that. At least from recent interviews, it sounds like Gunn had no idea what was happening in the Avengers movies and didn’t exactly love some of the stuff that happened to the Guardians characters.

When the characters appeared in the Avengers two-part epic directed by Joe and Anthony Russo, Gunn saw disconnects with certain storylines. “They did some things that I wouldn’t have wanted,” says Gunn of the films. (Yes, he says, Star-Lord would have killed Gamora if she asked him to; no, he would not have punched Thanos and doomed the universe.)

I agree: Favreau and Whedon and Gunn were all executive producers on later movies, but I never heard that any of them were lined up to be second in command to Feige.

Of course Gunn is entitled to his feelings about this characters, but I’m not sure I get this complaint: Star-Lord did pull the trigger; it was just that Thanos used the Reality Stone to make the gun useless. And the entire movie is about people making bad decisions that are true to their character, so it makes sense to me that hot-tempered Peter (the guy who shot Ego in Guardians 2) would fly off the handle at Thanos.

The actual closest to “second-in-command” was the recently fired Victoria Alonso. She was in charge of all the VFX for Marvel Studios. I don’t know who took her spot.

Great film. Count me in the group that enjoyed this. The only thing holding it back, is from a gamers’ POV, it’s a fetch quest that just keeps generating more quests, but in the end, I’m happy where it ended up and I can’t help but shed a tear when THEY FRIGGEN PLAYED FLORENCE AND THE MACHINE. Love that song.

I liked that the High Evolutionary was powerful, but not like unstoppable, only beatable with a macguffin, powerful. One-on-one and not caught off guard he was formidable—we saw him overpowering Adam Warlock at the beginning—but Rocket managed to get in a good shot with his gravity boots trick and then when the rest of the crew showed up they outnumbered him and just kicked his ass. That was satisfying.

This one is a return to form for Marvel, for sure. I cried more than once.

If the MCU ends now, I am satisfied. GotG3 put a nice bow on it.

I liked this quite a bit. A lot of that is down to the movie itself. And some of it is down to this following on the heels of Ant-Man 3 because Guardians 3 is just so many things that Ant-Man 3 isn’t. It’s a movie with a vision, a purpose, creativity, and a director who has a voice and knows his stuff. The cinematography is distinct and you notice it right from the first scene on.

I was surprised that everyone lived to see the ending. I’m sure, like many here, I expected at least one or two core members to bite the dust. After all, there had to be a downer, no? Alas, that’s wasn’t the case, and the emotional low point of the movie came via its flashbacks. I’m delighted to get a happy ending these days, but I also think the part of Peter and Neo-Gamora’s relationship was nicely resolved in that it’s not antagonistic anymore and you could see it happen down the road - but it’s also clear that she’s not the very same person and that she found her own new family with the Ravagers.

Yeah, I’ll put my name in the “liked it” column. I could pick nits, there were a few times I said, “hunh, what?”, but overall very good. And my daughter really liked it, which makes me like it more in retrospect. Although she could have done without the face removal

Some of the things that confused me: They blow a hole in the side of the ship where the kids are, so they can get into the ship. But that’s not where they come into the ship. Was the hole where the kids were just part of the hole? Also why didn’t the kids get sucked out into space and/or die of asphyxiation? Also, Mantis, Drax, and Gamora are in the cage, and they talk to the kids outside the cage. Why are the kids outside the cage and not in their own cages? And then, later the cage is removed to show monsters outside the cage. So, were the kids just wandering around with the monsters?

I was definitely able to let those things go though. And I would have probably picked different music (Not Florence + the Machine though, that was good). I mean, their ship is named “Bowie” but no Bowie? (Yeah, they had a Bowie song in Vol 1.)

I believe they had to get to the control room to turn on the force fields, which would keep the air in.

Spoiler alert: There are more MCU movies coming up.

Sssh ssh ssh. We aren’t talking about those.

MCU is over. Couple stumbles near the end but it went out on on a high note!