Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, or "Uh, I've been away for a year or more so now what?"

I’m finding the My Story incredibly boring sadly - So I skipped about a bit on various characters as well. One is doing Path of Fire, to get the mount - One just did a few things in Heart of Magunananana? to get the glider, but I am thinking of taking the stories after My Story now.

The thing is - I play on…eh…11 different characters right now, since I Have a hard time figuring out which one to actually choose.

S2 was a pretty big drag for me (as were large chunks of the original Personal Story), but I really enjoyed Heart of Thorns and what I’ve done of S3 (about halfway through). It definitely gets better; one gets the impression that they really listened to feedback as they designed the later episodes.

Yup. The original GW2 base story has its moments, but it can be a bit boring, especially for some of the races. Season 1 was OK, 2 had its moments but nothing special (though it had a great ending)… Heart of Thorns showed a very noticeable improvement in storytelling, S3 was even better, and Path of Fire is at about the same level as S3. Looking forward to S4.

I think the late game personal story as it gets less personal and into stuff that applies for pretty much everyone gets significantly better. A lot of the stuff leading up to and in Orr is fairly cool, particularly the final encounter with Zhaitan. But there’s a bit of a slog to get there.

Living World Season 4 begins. Daybreak is out!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/November-28-2017/

So, I finished episode 1 of LWS4. It was really good and fun, and oh boy, if you’re a Guild Wars 1 Nightfall fan, you’ll LOVE it. So many references, so much nostalgia. It’s awesome.

Of course, now I’m really curious to see where Season 4 is going. Episode 1 does kick a few possible paths on its own, but there are many, many ways it can go. This is gonna be good. ;)

They added a fractal and a raid, too. My first foray into the new (old) area leads me to believe there is a LOT of new content here. I do miss the ascended trinket rewards from LWS 3, though, and good rewards in general.

I finally made it into the Heart of Thorns expansion, and I’m surprised I’m enjoying it as much as I am. Done the bulk of content in the first map. I really didn’t think a team that thought third person jumping puzzles was a good idea would have been able to introduce new core navigation and movement gameplay without it being terrible, but the gliding stuff is pretty fun.

It is! Verdant Brink is a great map. Auric Basin is pretty fun as well, with a great (and popular) meta event that has great rewards.

Things start to get a bit too hectic when you get to Tangled Depths, however. It’s a multilevel map that at first is really, really difficult to navigate, with tons of annoying enemies in some parts… but it can be fun once you get used to it.

Then there’s Dragon Stand, which is pretty much a meta-only map. Fun when there’s people doing the meta, but there’s no reason to go there otherwise, alas.

Oh boy, if you think gliding is fun, just wait until you get mounts. ;)

Wintersday is coming.

I just got my springer and whee!

I thought the idea of a rabbit mount was stupid until I actually hopped on. Now I’m reaching all these areas I had assumed were off-limits, not to mention the areas I’d seen and thought “I bet you can’t get up there until you get the rabbit…”

I’ve also finally switched my necromancer over to reaper specialization using all the new shouts. I seem to recall guardians get to yell fun stuff during combat like, uh, I don’t remember specifics, but things like “take that!” or “I’mma get you!” that were the names of their abilities. Basically announcing what they were doing. The reaper’s “your soul is mine!”, “nothing can save you!”, and “suffer!” are nice vocal accompaniments to drinking a monster’s hit points, inflicting a few stacks of vulnerability, and applying chill. My necromancer is her own cheerleader.

-Tom

I thought the idea of a rabbit mount was stupid until I actually hopped on…

I get it. Hopped on!!! hahahahahaha :P

Reaper shouts are awesome! And Reaper is a very fun class to play as. And it had some buffs in the last balance patch, so it’s pretty good for PvE right now.

Best Reaper shout is “Rise!”, by far. You’ll see. ;)

I’m not really sold on having a couple of those zombie dog things. They certainly don’t look like the tanks they’re supposed to be. They look like the things you’d fight in a tutorial dungeon under a tavern.

I’m used to the necromancer having some stand-off range with her axe, scepter, and staff. As a reaper, it’s weird having to be so close to the things I’m fighting! Like, right up in their face. If they take a few steps back, suddenly I’m not fighting them anymore. Doh. I guess this is how melee combat is supposed to work.

-Tom

Well, the thing is: those zombie dog things will take the attention of your enemies away from you, and also transfer conditions from you to them and health from them to you, and (depending on your traits) increase your toughness. With the right trait to reduce the recharge on your shouts, well… it’s godly. You’ll see.

Here’s something similar to the build I used to use: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNAR3YnMbCdbitbCO2A0bilcBLeKmFHjQBgGwKQ6GkDyXA-jxxEAB3o8TDdBAY+LF1fGQJ44aEsf/BA-e

Have fun! ;)

Lunar New Year arrived in Tyria. (cross-post from the other Guild Wars 2 thread)

Heavily considering finally checking these expansions out. I guess this sale for the both of the expansions is about as cheap as it’s ever gonna get.

I got quite a lot out of the original game, but the endgame was a damp squib. How much good stuff do these expansions add? $37.50 worth?

For me, yes. The new areas and classes and metas and gear are worth the asking price and then some. But then again, I have 1000+ hours in this game, so keep that in mind. ;)

I posted a 25% off GW2 expansions coupon in the bargain thread, should make that decision a bit easier for ya.

LWS 4 Episode 2 release delayed.