Guilty Music Pleasure

Still love this one. I was 13 in 1984 and I vividly remember staying up late with my new Walkman waiting for the radio station to play this song again. I was obsessed.

I could never get into Wham, but man, George Michael’s “Listen Without Prejudice” album is about the most perfectly titled record I can think of. It’s so, so good. Its sad that whatever personal and professional issues got into his career after that record essentially derailed him as a creative force.

I listen to this from time to time.

And this cover.

I wouldn’t exactly call it a “pleasure” but if I feel like fucking with one of the passengers in my car I’ll slip this in.

It’s kinda hard to remember these guys as a guilty pleasure, because their music was listenable only if you were under the influence of a substance that has deleterious effects on memory:

There is zero guilt that accrues to Hawkwind, @Jason_Levine. ZERO.

If you say so. I just recall back in school in the '70s trying to listen to their music sober and thinking, “I really liked that last night, but now … oof!”

I was always “sober” when I tripped the light fantastic.

Wait a minute. You tripped the light fantastic to Hawkwind?

Are we talking as one might “trip the light fantastic” to Pink Floyd, for instance? Making sure our euphemisms are aligned here.

I usually associate the term with dancing, which means I don’t usually associate it with Hawkwind or Pink Floyd for that matter.

I am talking about “Tim Leary-ing”.

Ah, well then it’s quite applicable. :)

Used to go to Colony Records on 51st St in NYC and bought their albums as imports. I have this one. Expensive but the heart wants what it wants.

And Hawkwind’s Bassist (before he got kicked out because of a drug arrest on tour) was?

Lemmy. Easy one.

Well for you, sure.

What famous author wrote lyrics for Hawkwind?

Hint:

Puhleese Mr. Stormbringer…

Vacationing in Meliboe this year? or HawkMOON?