Guitar Hero 5 General Angst Thread

By the way, if you look at the site, it seems to basically be a shill for Activision. The front page is a bunch of leftover stuff from E3. The previews are literally cut-and-pasted press releases, but none recently. The only new content is a bunch of ridiculously generous reviews of Activision games. Considering PGNX feeds scores to Gamerankings (see here) and Metacritic, I have to wonder what’s going on over there.

What’s up with that, Jose? Do you have any sort of arrangement with Activsion? I ribbed you about that before, but I was only joking. Now that I look at the site, I’m seriously wondering.

-Tom

Screw you Mike Arrington!

-xtien

I wasn’t going to say anything because I didn’t want to accuse, but I also noticed this.

Have you by any chance tried phoning them? Perhaps if you expressed your (rightful) disgust in voice, they would be more willing to help you.

I offered to provide pictures or any other necessary proof in my emails, but I didn’t have the pictures to send when wrote up the emails at work. I have the pictures now, though they’re sort of huge.

I too would like to know what’s up with Jose Liz and Activision.

Oh, here are the pictures of my blank manual.

Keep it secret, keep it safe.

I’ve come up with the ultimate strategery for getting Gh5 and Van Halen for less than the price of GH5!

Wait til next year. No hurry.

Beatles with DLC and RBN will keep me too busy to waste time on the minor league music games.

You can’t get safter than unreadable.

You just need to put lemon juice on it!

That is sooooo photoshopped!

Activision sends him free games and that makes him so happy, he has to express his feelings in writing.
If other companies were to send him free stuff, they too would experience his gratitude - how hard is that to understand?

Even if I had Photoshop, which I don’t, I would have no idea how to do that. I can’t imagine how much more clear the picture could be. Why would I lie? I mean, really. I could take a video of me holding the thing, but that’s a little excessive I think. Believe me or don’t. Whatever.

I played a little more of GH5 last night and I’m enjoying it. I still think the note charting for GH on Medium is head and shoulders above that of Rock Band 2. And I’m not switching to Hard, so keep those comments to yourselves.

The create-a-Rocker works well and would allow you to create a true freak if you wanted to. Yeah, even more freakish than the fairly ugly default characters. There are plenty of clothing options, but I couldn’t resist the hoodie. You can also create custom instruments, just like in GH:WT. You can get pretty in depth with creating custom decals and whatnot, which reminded me of Forza 2 of all things. I didn’t go nuts with that, but you certainly could. Same with the band logo editor.

After messing around with all that I started a career. While I created a band, I didn’t see any way to choose who my fill in band mates would be. I was playing by myself, but I like how in RB2 you can have your friends’ avatars play the other instruments. If there’s a way to do that in GH5, I missed it. The career mode is a standard progression down a list of venues, requiring you to achieve a certain number of stars before unlocking new songs and venues. You’re by no means required to play every single song to open up new ones and it’s been pretty flexible in that regard so far.

I’ve only played solo guitar so far. I hope to get a full band together this weekend to give it a more thorough play through. I know that my girlfriend didn’t like the singing in GH:WT as much as in RB, so we’ll see if that’s been improved in her eyes. I’ve obviously not tested the option to play multiples of the same instrument yet either. I’m curious to see what it’s like when there are two guitars going on the same song. It seems to me that the feeling of actually playing the song would be diminished by that, but we’ll see how the game handles it.

I “finished” the Expert guitar campaign last night, which took about 40 of 85 songs to see the credits. Short impressions:

• I think a lot of little things have been addressed for the better, but menu navigation still feels very scattered to me – there’s tons of stuff crammed into various menus and it’s hard to figure out where things are.

• The setlist to me is just OK. I’ve found myself enjoying a few songs I’ve never heard before, and the note charts seem pretty good, but there have been too many songs I know I never want to play again.

• I am cautiously optimistic that this may be the best incarnation of the engine to date. I usually have to spend a week tweaking calibration settings to get things just right, but I think I got it nailed down in just a few songs yesterday. Additionally, the recent games have had some weirdness where it’s been troublesome to strum notes that are supposed to be hammer-ons, and it seems like that’s been tweaked. I’m looking forward to importing older songs to this engine.

• The bonus challenges are awesome. I just wish they were on every instrument for every song. There are only 2 or 3 guitar challenges per tier, with the rest being on different instruments or band challenges. I think this is the gateway to revitalizing the career mode, but the implementation here doesn’t go far enough.

I think they’re on the verge of making a truly spectacular game … they just can’t get it all organized properly. It feels like it needs a singular vision to pull it together, instead of a game that feels built by a committee.

Yeah, the challenges are a great idea. It would be nice if there were challenges for all instruments on all songs. I have yet to get even one challenge completed though.

I rented this and am very “blah” on the setlist as well. I REALLY liked GH Metallica and still play it. I think that like many others, I’m pretty much done with “here’s a disk of random music.” I’d rather be able to pick and choose via DLC. GHM just so happened to consist of music I liked, so it really clicked for me.

Wow, so the Van Halen offer is only good in Murica. Thanks Activision!

Seriously, what the fuck is the deal with you and helmets.

So, you’re saying it could be awesome if it wasn’t from Activision, then.

Also:

is the wrong use of the idiom. The phrase is “pulled out all the stops” and it has roots in organ music.

Pedant Man

I stopped. I just can’t do it. I got through the tier with Santana on Expert but I’m done. For me, and this is obviously a very personal-taste complaint – I can’t stomach the set list. Of the songs on that Quickplay list there are maybe 10 that I actually enjoying listening to let alone playing. Sultan of Swing is great, but songs like it are the rare exception.

For F’s sake that have a Rammstein song. There’s no accounting for taste, but wow.

Listening to that I was reminded of that fake band in Big Lebowski: AUTOBAHN. That’s got to be what those dudes would have sounded like.

Du Hast “Du Hast,” huh?