Gwent: The Witcher Card Game

Have they abandoned the one campaign per faction idea?

We don’t know. This is what’s announced, for now (lifted from Reddit)

1. End of this Season on August 27th
  2. Patch releases in the following days.
  3. Seasonal Event “Mahakam Ale Festivale” will certainly mirrors the Oktoberfest, which starts on September 16th and ends on October 3rd. So we may expect the event to take place close to these dates.
    This should lead us to the end of Season 2 of Open Beta at the end of October (if Season 2 is not like Season 1 and lasts 2 months of course)

Now the features that directly impact the Ranked/Tournaments and thus will certainly be implemented between two seasons are :
-New Leaders for existing factions, certainly along a bunch of cards to go with them.
-New Solo Adventure: Thronebreaker, coming with 20 cards for Multiplayer.
-New Faction: Some time (maybe season(s)) after Thronebreaker.

The last feature that is also coming, but would not impact the Ranked Play/Tournaments and thus may be implemented during a Season is the New Game Mode.

Hi. So: GWENT.

Does anyone know if this is a LEGIT good card game? I played the version contained in The Witcher 3 and found it very simplistic, but I heard that’s been overhauled for the standalone release.

I would love to get into a card game right now, and I love the Witcher. But is this worth the time?

Perhaps wait till the damn thing is actually done… Its still Early Access.

fair enough. just curious if anyone had any real thoughts on it as a card game

It’s a real good game.

The game is so overhauled it has lost most of the common points with the original Gwent, to be honest. 98% of the cards have a special ability, they are divided in bronze/silver/gold categories, how they are placed in the table is different, how weather works is different, how leaders work is different, there is a wounding mechanic to damage cards, and well, a long etc.

I wouldn’t call it ‘Early Access’, waiting until it’s ‘done’ is foolish, this is a ‘Game as a Service’ and it will be always being developed and changed regularly. It will never be ‘done’.
It’s in open beta, the game already have defined seasons, the second one has already started (I finished in Rank 18 in the first one).

thank you! i’m convinced

Well, it’s f2p game, so just try it and see it for yourself :)

yup yup. my only concern was the time investment.

Gwent card art

Gwent is by everyone’s impression amazing, but personally I will wait for singleplayer campaigns. I do not want to get addicted to this.

Man, players are really not okay with this Midwinter Update. Over 100 new cards, but old cards have been nerfed or “dumbed down” and flavor text has been removed from a lot of the game.

Yeah, definitely some backlash going on. I only play a little, as I’m also waiting to see what the single-player is like, but even in the dabbling I do, the irritation of many players is palpable.

“Sorry about all that.”

Truth is, we should have waited longer and properly tested everything (for example, problems with full mill value of cards are a result of this) instead of rushing the release. Us wanting you to have stuff to play with is one thing. Us breaking things because of that is another.

We’d like to sincerely apologise for all the problems this has caused — it’s a tough lesson and there will be no more screw-ups like this in the future.

Gwent just enabled its new Arena mode. You draft a deck of 26 cards, plus a leader, choosing each card from four choices (not three as in Hearthstone). Then you play matches against players until you either win 9 or lose 3 games. If you log in before March 7, you get some Arena tickets (shards?) for free.

I’m too clueless to try Arena; I’ve just started in on the tutorial challenges. I like Gwent; I’m just not sure I love it yet. My initial reaction was it seemed too simple, but wow, was I wrong, lol; the card interactions are complex. My biggest issue may be the UI. Some elements are nice and big and easy to read; others (flavor text) are kinda teeny. And some (scrolling libraries) seem designed for consoles, not PC, which is what I’m using.

Anyway, TLDR: Arena.

This seems to be floundering. Lots of major design changes being considered. From the initial coin toss, to getting rid of one of the card rows completely is up for debate.

Homecoming will also add the SP campaign.

Weird, what is that people dislike about it?

It’s not Hearthstone.

I think it’s more that people are worried it’s becoming Hearthstone. They’ve dumbed it way down and added a lot of RNG. This is meant to be a step in the other direction.

Yeah, they spelled out (and claim to be fixing) almost all of the community’s biggest concerns in that post, which are pretty much the opposite of “It’s not Hearthstone.” People were angry about the new Create mechanic and other high RNG, low skill cards becoming staples in the current metagame. People were angry about how decisive the coin flip is. People were annoyed that rows had lost purpose.

Seems like a Hail Mary, but I hope it pans out. I love Gwent even in the current meta. Maybe there’s a chance they’ll ride the wave of Thronebreaker and catch a new audience for PVP.