Hades (SuperGiant Games)

Thank you! I was strangely proud of myself for finishing! This is usually the type of game where I love the moment to moment gameplay but never finish due to difficulty.

I usually use Athena’s Dash but, for some reason, I picked the Athena’s Boon that increases damage on regular “X” attacks. That plus upgraded Poseidon Boons (Tidal something or other) and various deflection bonuses along with something to do with inflicting Doom on my enemies seemed to do the trick. But, man, are my hands tried!

I can happily confirm the game is much better with a controller!

I had the Aegis shield, 6th run through or thereabouts, steam rolling everything until I hit a Fury.

Meg, the 1st Fury.

She flattened me.

My first girlfriend was called Meg(an) - so insert silly joke here.

Is the first half hour or so representative of the overall experience? Particularly, if my impression is that the combat feels weightless and needlessly hard to read, should I just refund it?

Not trying to knock anyone’s fun, just wondering if this isn’t for me.

The various weapons you unlock play differently and can affect your enjoyment. I seem to recall not using the first weapon much after I got the later ones. However, if you are not feeling it, may be best to refund.

They start you with the most boring weapon, which is good in one way and bad in another. Once I unlocked the fists I was in love.

Thanks, the bow is certainly better, and makes combat more deliberate and readable. Presumably there are other weapons that will do the same. I’ll stick with it for a bit.

I myself enjoyed it right from the get-go, but things get way better the more you unlock. More options to re-roll/select boons mean more specific builds, more weapons mean more variety, more weapon builds mean more variety on top of that. Increasing the amount of dashes you can do does a lot.

Like many games, you probably will not see all of the game in the first 30 minutes. I think it took me a few hours to “get” the combat at least a bit, and 30 hours or so to achieve some kind of mastery where I could actually “beat” the game.

There are a bunch of different weapons, some really clicked for me, some not so much. There are a TON of powers and combinations, and there’s a bit of luck of the draw that you learn how to mitigate/control to get what you want as time goes on. Figuring out those fun combinations and making good progress in the game in the later stages is part of it.

The story is actually pretty good too!

I hated it, tried 3 times and keep going but it never clicked for me. Saying that I have a few autistic tendencies. I never re play games and rarely revisit to see if I can get further. If I play a game for 2 hours I cannot ever redo the first 2 hours again without a massive effort and generally I just think nope and stop playing and I rarely do grinding of any sort.

If this is not you I reckon you will like Hades.

I unlocked the gattling gun. This thing is ridiculous.

On the one hand: So cool, it’s a chain gun! But on the other hand, oh my god, it does so little damage, and each fight now takes forever.

I guess this always happens with ARPGs and ranged weapons. Designers always feel like if you’re going to be staying away from danger then you shouldn’t be able to do as much damage, and they force you to fight for much longer as a consequence of being “safer” I guess. But it just makes using ranged weapons not worth it, to me.

Some tips for the Adamant Rail.

Remap reload from the default right stick button to something like a trigger or shoulder button. I used left trigger and mapped summon to the right stick since it’s not used too often. The reload animation can be canceled with your dash letting you reload faster. Toss out the bombard special before you start your reload too.

For damage you’ll want to favor flat damage boons for the attack, and percentage damage boons for the special. Lightning Strike the attack boon from Zeus rips through stuff on the rail. Base damage on the attack is 10. Common Lightning Strike adds a flat 10 damage to each while an Epic level Heartbreak Strike from Aphrodite is +80% to base for only 18 damage.

Hades II: Underworld Boogaloo.

Ohh interesting, so that’s why there was no dlc or expansions for the first one.

Oh man I’ve barely played the first one.

I suck using a controller, plus the controller has some cross controls with pc functions.

Pressing A on my XBox controller when I play Hades frequently brings up the keyboard.

Quite challenging to do anything with this keyboard floating on your screen!!

Hades 2…well I am interested.

Darn, I missed the Early Access part of that sentence. I was just thinking about reinstalling Hades yesterday and this getting bumped got me overly hopeful.

Oh well, it’s not like it’s a bad thing to play Hades again. I’m not going to wait around for 2 or 3 more years for the 1.0 of Hades 2 to get some more runs in. I’m starting to get old though, these games need to come out faster! Or stop announcing to me that they’re coming so I don’t know what I’m missing.

RIGHT INTO MY VEINS, PLS.

Yeah, looking forward to this. Still pondering whether I’ll wait for 1.0 to be done or already go for Early Access (as I did with the first one), but kinda guessing that I won’t have the patience to wait once it rolls out…

Gotta say, Hades was my favorite game of that year, and I think it’s incredible, nearly perfect. But I expect Supergiant to amaze me with something different. I have Hades. I can play it for 200 hours. Do we need another Hades?

Yes45

A thread on the mythological roots of the characters seen in the trailer:

Duel wield torches. The ancient Greeks foretold of Elden Ring so long ago.