Halo Infinite - What is it?

Is that a Skyrim mod? Makes me want to reinstall.

I was ready to be all OMG downgrade but the warty bits from yesterday looked ok I thought. Kind of flat though.

Yeah, the lighting is a little flat but I think it looks fine for an open world 4K 60 FPS title. I wasn’t expecting it to be a next-gen visuals showcase considering it has to run on Xbox One.

Most importantly, this looks like Halo to me. I haven’t played a Halo since Reach but I think they nailed the feeling of the original. There’s something about Halo’s pacing and structure that I don’t see anywhere else and, at least from the gameplay they showed, Infinite has it.

It’s a perfectly fine looking game, it just doesn’t look next-gen at all. That could easily run on a XboneS (at 720p).

Yeah. I’m fine with games being terrible on the older systems, but it would be nice to be able to crank up the sliders where more power is available.

I was playing Breakpoint a few days ago, zooming round in a jeep with 3 bots blasting away and I thought at the time - next gen Halo should be the interesting version of this. Fingers crossed.

And hey, GamePass.

Agreed that it doesn’t look next-gen but I think committing to 60 FPS is an important (limiting) factor there.

It looks current gen, and not even top of the line current gen.

This screengrab from the demo is getting a lot of meme work too.

Is it 60fps on Xbone? That would help explain it. It’s 2020, and they’re building a game with a 2013 machine as the baseline.

Do we know what they ran the demo on?

It was running on PC ‘equivalent to Series X.’

Yeah thing is this is also theoretically their Series X launch showpiece and Spencer has been out there saying crossgen dev wouldn’t hold games back.

No reason why it would. When you run a new shooter on your high-end 2020 gaming PC, you get better resolution, framerates, and pump image quality up to ultra. When you run it on your 2013-era gaming PC, you drop image quality settings until it’s playable at your desired resolution. Same thing applies here.

I wonder if we’ll see a hasty and shiny new demo in response to the internet’s meh this morning.

This. Especially with dynamic resolution. I’m not sure why this is such a foreign concept since Xbox will work just like PC and mobile.

Suire seems like it has, based on the way Halo looks.

People are dumb and console-war-ish.

Technical but informative by Digital Foundry on trying to explain Infinites “flat” looking graphics.

Digital Foundry speculates that the egregious pop-in is due to the demands of maintaining 60 fps at 4K.

I can’t understand why you would choose noticeably bad graphics and 4K over better graphics and something like 1440p.

I wonder if AMD has anything like Nvidias DLSS tech. The 2.0 version of that has shown really great results in allowing RTX effects without the massive hit in performance. It also shows games can be rendered at less than 4K yet still look super sharp.

That’s a great video. I didn’t know art assets had changed in that way.

Microsoft’s 4K mantra is their next gen’s Kinect. 4K is nice, but higher framerates and better looking games are more important by most people’s standards.