Halo Multiplayer = shit

Enemy Territory, BY FAR.

Filing complaints and being able to callvote to kick is fan-fucking-tastic, to use Ohle’s expression.

I’m pretty sure that the server op can penalize TKers on spawning. Ie… you TK, you wait longer to spawn.

Someone might want to check on that, but that’s what I remember hearing.

They definitely need:

1. voting (kick and map change)
  2. the scoreboard to list more info (ping, TK %, whatever)

The two I like are AdminMod for the HL engine games and the Black Bag Ops Remote Server Tool for BF1942 (though as I noted in another thread, that tool is no longer supported by its author after EA/Dice refused to buy it from him, then released their own similar tool). Note that both of these are fan created! I still haven’t seen decent tools released with a game.

AdminMod lets you use short commands and partial player names or ID numbers (which is helpful when someone is named “–++==1337_k17L3R==+±-”). You can kick players, ban them for a period of time, and ban them permanently. You can also do some irritating things to them, like make them glow or bury them halfway in the ground. It also supports plugins to do a variety of things from setting the server up for clan matches to playing Karaoke (lyrics and sound) during the game.

Remote access is a good thing, too. With the Black Bag tool, you don’t even have to be in the game, it runs in a window as you are doing other stuff. When it reports smacktard behavior, you can kick/ban remotely.

Callvote is definitely a mixed bag. If a number of griefers show up, they can control the votes and start kicking legitimate players. They start constantly changing the map, too. It is much better if you have an admin in control of the ability to call votes. Democracy on a game server is highly overrated, they need to be semi-benevolent dictatorships.

/callvote kick jackass =

1. People are too busy to vote
  2. People are too stupid to vote
  3. People are so absorbed that they don’t even notice the vote
  4. People couldn’t give a flying fuck either way about the vote
  5. People don’t know enough about the situation to vote, and aren’t interested in taking the time to ask
  6. People don’t know enough about the situation to vote, but do so anyway
  7. People don’t vote because the TKer isn’t affecting them directly
  8. People don’t vote because the TKer just so happens to work out in their team’s favor
  9. People vote because a certain opponent coincidentally does NOT work out in their favor
  10. People vote incorrectly because the vote buttons just so happen to be keys that have other functions when voting isn’t in progress
  11. Voting is abused because any moron can call one if people are not agreeable with the idea that he is god
  12. Voting is abused because there are just enough lamers in cooperation to do some damage

There are so many things that can go wrong with the Callvote system that it just ends up being a nice idea on paper and not much else.

My preferred approach to TKing is “mirror damage”… if you shoot a teammate, he takes no damage, and you take all the damage that he would have taken.

This (a) prevents griefing, (b) makes friendly fire something the players want to avoid.

Mirror damage gets abused, too. Griefers just purposely run in front of you. These guys really must not have anything else to do. I almost hate to mention them, but myg0t .com and resistancecheats .com are good place to learn about ragers.

It’s important to have a “forgive” function if you are tracking a certain number of TKs before kick/ban. Sometimes you die from friendly fire and it’s your own fault (like moving near a primed grenade after being warned), so you don’t want that death to count against a teammate.

The BlackBag Ops server package for BF1942 seems to be really good. In addition to the built in penalties for TK’ing that you can turn on, like longer respawns and kickback damage, you can set it to kick players for things like exceeding a certain ping for too long, too much TK’ing, etc.

Callvotes are useless for the reasons described above. I remember in SoF II games some players would constantly call for votes, to the extent they had to be banned by admins if one could be found. And in games like BF1942, it’s not exactly easy, convenient, or intuitive to vote.

Ah, memories of the glory days at fr8 the abbatoir where all the [CoFR]s just banned everybody who could aim. I’m sure you’ll be back around 18,000 in a few hours.

We take the extra step of banning people for bad sportsmanship, which is explained in the server rules. So, if you’re sitting in the back with an AWM, your K : D ratio is 15:1, your team is up 17-2, and you’re ignoring an admins request to drop the sniper rifle and give the other team a chance, you’ll probably get kicked/banned. We want everyone on the server to have a good time, not just a couple people.

Aimbot bans require a demo showing aimbot use, since most of the time it’s not an aimbot. We also have an unban committee that will review bans if someone thinks they were banned unfairly.

Callvotes aren’t useless.

They’re nice when you limit them to certain restrictions:

a). Before you can callvote, you’ve been TKed by said person X amount of times, or the person has affected X amount of team members with his behavior.
b). Limit the number of votes to a specified time period, such as 2 every 10 minutes.
c). Give a stats display on the person being voted against. If he’s committed 11 tks since he connected, that statistic should be available.

Your posts are single-handedly making me lose any interest in playing online shooters.

Don’t worry, there are many happy medium servers between TK-city and “Ve Shall Tell You How You Shall Play Ze Game” servers.

As I said, they’re useless. Unless you’re running a clan server with a hell of a lot of admin presence and more dedication/skill than 99% of the servers out there, you’ll never see this sort of organized system. Callvotes are 100% useless in 99% of the cases actually out there.

I’d argue that callvotes are useless in BF1942 and all games that don’t have a GUI interface for them. I play lots of BF1942, and have no idea how to vote on something. Its some command in the console, but all arcane command space in my head is reserved for unix shell commands.

The system that I like best is an autokick system once you reach a TK threshhold. Now, I’d see problems with this in Halo, because I once TKed 3 people, (twice the same person), just driving my Warthog around the base in Blood Gulch. “Touch the guy with the warthog and he dies” coupled with the “I’m going to spawn right in front of oncoming traffic” leads to a many no-fault TKs. (As opposed to the times where I start up a game, forget what color I am, and then kill the first teammate I see).

That’s bullshit.

Every rule I listed can be scripted.

That’s what we always tell people. Born out of frustration with the unending nonsense on 95% of servers, we decided to take a strong hand in pushing for play as we believe the designers intended. If you want to play that way, you’re welcome to come. If not, then there are literally thousands of other servers where you can try to play as you prefer. I think we are on to something, since CoFR continues to grow and our CS and NS servers are usually jammed.

To me, it is an extension of what I expect in any game. When I go out to the park to play basketball, softball, or soccer, I don’t like playing with ball hogs or trashtalkers. I avoid the equivalent behavior in online games.

Does your point guard often bounce a basketball off the back of your head? Do you kick him out if he refuses to go for lay-ups because he can effortlessly hit 3 pointers?

Your descriptions of the problems online shooters face sound far worse than any I’ve encountered in face-to-face sports.

Yes, it is a lot worse since people are anonymous. I think a better basketball (or soccer) analogy would be a guy that is the world’s greatest ball handler, so he just dribbles the ball around, does fakeouts, and never shoots or passes. Sure, he’s impressive, but he’s screwing up the game. If myg0t was a basketball clan, they would join pickup games and pass the ball to the other team whenever they touched it. If anyone actually did this, they’d be in line for a beating.

So would CoFR, if they pulled half the shit they do with their servers. That’s always been the problem with CoFR. Ever since the lameness with the CyFR, member standards have progressively gotten lower and lower 'til they got to the point where any dipwad who puts on an air of maturity can run roughshod over their server population with whatever asinine delusions of decency they have. And when you have the number of members that CoFR has, that’s when it gets really bad.

When you get to the point of having people who say “fuck” punished in the same manners as TKers or cheaters, you’ve gotten to the point that you’re not much different from griefers. At that point, you’re just shoveling your extremely warped and ego-centric views on how the game should be played, just like they do.

In the early days, CoFR had something going. Now? Most of you wouldn’t know decency or maturity from a fucking hole in the ground. CoFR’s behavior on their servers is so base now that it’s just an ingratiating contest like every other server.

Well, Jakub, maybe to you it’s bullshit, but no one, I repeat, no one does the scripting you are talking about, at least not in BF1942 (admittedly the only game I play online with any frequency). What you are describing requires an interface that actually allows gamers to vote effectively, which BF lacks completely, and it requires a level of interest/concern on the part of admins that is also nearly toally unrealized.

So no it’s not bullshit, it’s pretty much the way it is. Sure, you could do it that way I guess but no one fucking does it.