Halo: The Master Chief Collection on PC is not an Epic Store exclusive

I read that earlier in an xbox forum and gave it a shot, but the game kept locking up while trying to sync first before allowing me to interact with anything. So I decided to just let it install. I’m six hours into the install with only 6 hours left to go. Woohoo (screw you, Charter Communications).

Yes, there is crossplay between win10 and Steam. Not between PC and Xbox, if you were wondering.

I reinstalled this 3 times before realizing it only works if you launch from the start menu instead of Gamepass. The audio mix is all fucked up. Gun sounds are very quiet.

This is a lot of fun. This kind of SF military assault is woefully underrepresented in PC shooters.

BTW, they know about the audio issues and are working on them. Apparently has something to do with having to re-encode the old audio for the PC version.

So… they didn’t test it or ran out of time?

Man, I spent 10 minutes in my Windows audio settings last night trying to figure out if something was wrong.

Between that and the hideous screen tearing, you wonder what the hell they were doing when they spent months developing and testing the PC port.

Ran out of time. They mentioned the audio issues in their last monthly update, a about a week before it came out.

My understanding is that there actually are ways to improve the audio somewhat. I’d google around.

In my experience the screen tearing has more to do with the “experimental” uncapped framerate setting, which was the reason they almost weren’t going to include UFR at launch. They ultimately offered it because competitive players complained that they needed it, and PC users would expect it.

In fairness to 343, they’ve consistently said since the beginning that a lot of this stuff would be contingent on whether the 10 year old Xbox codebase could handle these kinds of features.

I am getting plenty of screen tearing with the default graphics settings, as I mentioned above. Haven’t even messed with the uncapped setting yet.

This is awesome. I’ve been to SPACE, I’ve flown aircraft, I get these combined arm battles with squadmates by my side… just great. I have a jet pack for god’s sake.

Why did shooters stop being awesome?

343 has really done an amazing job with this collection. All the single player content(besides Halo 5) and multiplayer in one release with a easy to use UI so you can customize what game, modes, maps you want to look for. Between this and the AoE remasters Microsoft is showing what how ‘Definitive’ releases should be done.

To be fair, 343 has had four years to correct the abysmal original console launch. The people that bought it in 2014 might disagree with the idea that the team knocked it out of the park then.

In this case where 343 has fully made good (and went far above and beyond just “fixing” the game) it seems counterproductive to “but actually” every time someone praises them for the current state of the game.

So many games launch in a broken state and never get fixed, or get just half-fixed, that we should recognize when developers take the time to make things right.

Sure. I don’t want to take away from what they’re doing now, but the statement above, that this is an example of “how definitive releases should be done” is some revisionist take. I bought MCC on Xbox when it launched and it was rough as heck. Good on them for sticking with it, but those of us that gave them money years ago didn’t do it to be beta testers.

Now AoE2:DE? No argument there.

This is a lot of fun. Zooming around alien planets/things capping squelchy foolthings. More like this please. And sprint would be nice.

Many games aren’t released by one of the largest corporations in the world, and are part of that company’s most valuable game brands.

This release is still kind of buggy.

And they still haven’t fixed the audio issues in Reach.