Hardspace: Shipbreaker, blue collar space sim about salvage

I wrote about that on the steam forums for the game, and was subsequently yelled at and told to like whatever I got.

There are a few places where I’d really like to cut a wall off, and the wall has a cutting level of 1, but I have a hard time opening up a hole with either of the cutting tools. Often, I want to open up a wall around an airlock (after it’s extracted) so I can move internal ship components into the green area. There are two areas where this happens: one is those small structure areas where multiple airlocks meet and there’s a ladder. Another this sort of outer plate/inner tube structure. You can see the narrow airlock at center. What’s the best way to open this up? I had noticed the red triangles, so tried planting demo charges on those, but that didn’t seem to do what I wanted (sometimes with hilarious/unfortunate results.)

This is a Javelin, if that’s helpful.

Those big end pieces like that I end up getting to last - easier to go in and release side panels with cut points.

If I need a hole to move objects to the barge, I usually spot laser a floor where it’s all one panel, so I can open up the entire section without any pieces floating around. I don’t do this with airlock sections because they’re a bunch of different pieces and that’s annoying to slice up.

I notice in the picture there is a fuel reservoir behind. For that situation the are four soft beams running around the end of the tank. Cut points are attached to them securing the tank. I vaporize the soft beams not the cut points. Once done this whole hatch section comes out super easy.

One amazing trick to know about panels:

They are surrounded on four sides by four aluminum beams. You can melt those beans with your stinger (helps to have the heat upgrades). Just burn them for several seconds until they glow and then melt. Then you can extract the panel, radiation unit, doorway, etc.

Knowing this is useful for so many disassemblies. The salvage loss for melting the beams is negligible.

In fact in many situations, such as something dangerous behind a panel, you can just melt the whole panel itself.
Just keep it glowing until it melts, might require you to back off a couple of times before your cutter overheats depending on heat upgrades. If you melt the whole panel like this it disintegrates and doesn’t affect anything around it.

I finished the game today. Overall, I really enjoyed the flow of the game, and would happily pick up DLC if it became available later on. It’s too bad the game feels “over” once you finish act 3, it’s a rare game that didn’t overstay it’s welcome, and I would happily have played another 20 hours on more progression. I am going to leave it installed, because I could see going back to salvage a ship or two once in a while.

What would be really neat would be a sequel that in some ways was a bit like an incremental [in that gameplay might “evolve” to different settings as you progress] - imagine trying to reclaim and terraform a planet (maybe an earth that has been destroyed by war and climate change?) You might start off by harvesting a huge debris belt in space and then instead of being paid, you’d have raw materials to work with to build things - start off with some atmospheric modifiers that might make the air more breathable, or construct giant solar arrays for power / and heat reduction. Then move down to the planet’s surface and start to harvest dead cities and replace them with green space, and slowly introduce animal species.

To be fair, that is a very bourgeois request. Virtual reality, in this economy?

Was written way before the economy slumped.

Announced at Gamescom, this is coming to Xbox (and Game Pass) on September 20.

Hell yeah. Been waiting for this.

Yawn. Call me when they do VR.

Can I get some DLC please? New ships would be enough for me. A new salvage tool would be amazing, but could ruin balance for earlier ships.

That’s what I say!!! :)

Or, call me when it goes on Game Pass! Which it just did, PC and Xbox.

Looking forward to checking it out at no extra cost!

Anyone else having trouble with the game freezing pretty quickly after launch? I wanted to get back into this for a bit of relaxing fun and maybe pick up the new achievements, but it’s freezing up consistently before I can get past the startup screen to create a new character. :(

Been playing this the last couple of days - and I’m really enjoying it! It’s much more fun than I thought it would be, way back when trailers were popping up. I didn’t really appreciate that each ship would kind of be its own puzzle, with different ways to take apart but generally with an optimum plan, I suppose, to max the salvage and return for you. I like learning the new tools and skills that are coming on as I level up, and it’s satisfying seeing my outstanding debt slowly creep downward. I also enjoy the dark humor in the game, with the opening bit about harvesting your DNA should any harm befall you during salvage operations and, oh yeah, DNA harvesting will also destroy the original body (as you die screaming).

I’m going to keep posting some impressions here, even though I know most folk have long gotten their fill of the game and uninstalled. Playing on Xbox Game Pass, by the way, and still having a lot of fun. I’m really enjoying the progression, both in terms of gameplay elements like adding danger and then giving you options of handling it, and also adding new options to buy and just generally paying down your debt. It’s kind of odd how satisfying that can be.

I guess with many games there’s that little meta-satisfaction of seeing numbers going up and down, but this also has that ‘16 Tons’ element of being a wage slave and so little power. Now I’ve gotten to a point where management has put some kind of middle-manager guy in place, who seems to only exist to spout company lines and platitudes at us while we’re working. It’s slightly infuriating, as it was no doubt intended to be. But my supervisor just gifted me a ship! Which kind of blew my mind but also, just for a second, introduced this flight of fancy - I imagined what if: I could fix that ship up, blast off to points unknown and then just start this whole other game? You could wander the galaxy finding new stuff, getting into adventures, maybe meeting aliens and things like that! Which I mean, you don’t need to tell me how patently ludicrous the idea is, that they’d hide a whole other game behind this game. But it was fun to dream.

I keep finding little incidental items that amuse me, mainly new ways to damage myself. I’ve burned up in the incinerator and been crushed by the other collector thing. I haven’t fallen into the barge yet, but I’m guessing I would wind up for sale in some secondhand shop on Venus or something. Last night I was grabbing stuff out of the crew area of a ship, and yanked a chest at myself so hard I damaged my helmet and started hearing music. And then I did it again, but bopped myself so hard I cracked my helmet and asphyxiated. There’s a lot to do here!

I like that the game even has some kind of seasonal appropriate content with the “ghost” ships. It was creepy wandering around in an empty ship (not like the normal empty ships, no not at all). The AIs were toying with me, and I found it spooky to find them opening and closing the airlock intermittently. Then it got kind of annoying when they pretty much wouldn’t stop. Though one time they did manage to trap me in the airlock for a minute or so.

My method for making sure the Ghost AI can’t mess with me.

Don’t worry, HAL, I brought my own door.