Hardspace: Shipbreaker, blue collar space sim about salvage

They’ve expressed interest in adding VR support but it’d be a fair way out I reckon.

I don’t understand work orders. Can somebody explain how they fit in with the other systems in the game? During the tutorial they seem to gate leaving the scenario. But in the proper game that seems to be tied to the shift ending instead. The money I make seems unconnected to the work orders, and also you only get the one set of work orders even when continuing to work on the ship for extra days to “use all parts of the bison” like the tutorial wanted me to

And actually on that latter part, just what is the penalty for changing to a new ship without finishing the current one? The dialog seems to suggest there is one, but I can’t figure out what it is.

They’re optional, and the reward for completing them is currency for purchasing equipment upgrades. But I think that part you understand?

Excellent news. It’s been really hard holding off on playing this while they worked on the campaign. Really enjoyed the couple of ships I broke up before dropping it.

Full Patch Notes

🚀 denotes changes or fixes based on Community Feedback & Participation

Changes & Updates

• Campaign Story Act 1
  • Storyline from Ranks 1 to 7, introducing a crew of Shipbreakers, the history LYNX Corporation and expanding on the world of Hardspace
  • Tutorial revised for improved onboarding
  • Four new voiced characters
  • Placeholder Voiceover for all story characters (Will be replaced in a future update)
  • Additional Data Drive content for expanded world-building
  • Work Order System Revamp
  • Replaced with Salvage Indicator
  • Promotes salvaging “the whole buffalo”
  • Salvage Goals provide additional Mastery Point and LYNX Token bonuses to proficient Cutters
  • Certification Progression Revamp
  • Certification is now based on Mastery Points (MP)
  • Earn MP based on salvage value, and for reaching Salvage Goals
  • Certification Ranks 1 to 30 implemented
    NOTE: All Progression has been reset for this update!
  • The previous version and progression can be played on the archive Steam branch: Version 0.3.1
  • Future Campaign/Progression updates may include additional progression resets
  • Early Game Ship Variety Improved
  • Mackerel Station Hopper, Light Cargo and Heavy Cargo have been revised to each feel more distinct
  • Mackerel Exolab Science Vessel added
  • Ship Difficulty replaced by Hazard Levels that better reflect threats
  • Slight changes to Mackerel tail and nose composition to improve salvaging
  • HUD Revamp
  • Layout updated to reduce clutter and screen space use, and improve readability
  • HUD rendering improved to increase readability and performance
  • Death Flow Revamp

• Improved Death Screen provides more contextual information and humour

• Vocalizations for all elemental damages intensified

• 10 New Stickers Added

• Out-of-Range prompt added to Cutting Tool

• Grapple Strength Improved

• Baseline strength increased from 1,000 kg to 3,000 kg
  • Strength Upgrades also increased
  • 🚀 Tether Intersection Allowance Time Increased

• Should allow daisy-chaining objects together more often without breaking

• Some models and textures improved

• Masterjack
  • Jacks
  • Thruster Fuel Canister

• 🚀 Removed Cut Guards

• Removed Utility Keys & The Terminals That Require Them

Bug Fixes

• When Javelins are used in Weekly RACE, the Landing Page incorrectly shows 6 objectives but in-game work order correctly shows 3

• Pressurized space outside the airlock entrance at the back section of the Heavy Cargo Javelins

• On Salvage Runners the bottom panel near the fuses has a duplicated structural beam

• The demo charge loses its durability when the user dies/takes damage, despite still being locked/unpurchased

• Panels in the Cargo Javelin unexpectedly dejointed after chairs were yanked off the floor

• The wall behind the ECU in Heavy Cargo Javelins has duplicated structural beams

• Pulling the fuel cap off the fuel tank on Heavy Cargo Javelins made the fuel flush interaction inactive

• Barge not clearing airlock doors in particular between shifts

• Railgate VFX warmup sequence not playing

• Keel near the cargo hatch is missing a cutpoint in the Gecko Heavy Cargo

• “???” tag seen in the structural scanner view in Salvage Gecko

• A Real Talker Sticker Description refers to “High-Gain Antennae” as "High-Grade Antennae "

• Grade 4/5/6 ships have incorrect thruster class labels in the Ship Catalog

• Industrial hoist in ECU room on Salvage Gecko spawns without a rail guide to be attached to

• On high difficulty Heavy Cargo Javelins, the fuel X pipe is misaligned

• Traditional Chinese texts have parasite characters prompting a line skip

• Red shader over incorrect salvage flashes when object is leaving the barge

• Parts of the Gecko hull may not dejoint until lights are yanked along the seams between the nanocarbon

• The Sticker Category list in the HAB does not update correctly if the player changes the language during gameplay

• In the Stickers Menu, the text prompting to place a sticker is unlocalized

• In the Stickers Menu, the text indicating that a sticker is locked is unlocalized

• When the first loading screen of a session is “front-end to HAB in career mode”, multiple locIDs appear in the loading screen tips

• Cut points from top-middle ion ring pop off after being in the barge a few seconds

• Several Barge objects remain highlighted green, after salvaged on the barge

• Soft and hard crates do not have green highlight in the barge

• Cut points on the clamps holding the shipping crates onto Javelin Heavy Cargo don’t seem to be vaporizing unless you cut them down the middle

• Harsh bloom on Commercial Gecko Airlock lights

• Polaris audio can be heard in the Tutorial, with no sign of the Polaris

• Control VO doesn’t prioritize positive feedback when salvaging multiple objects

• Interacting with the Kiosk during the Tutorial will allow the player to equip the grapple prematurely

• The moon and certain village assets are not properly affected by atmospheric fog

• The weight of detached objects doesn’t properly update on the HUD, when using the grapple

• On some Refuellers, the floor panel under the ECU is marked Titanium for Furnace salvaging

• In Scan mode the Multitool appears in the Structural tab

• Fuse Breaker lights are tagged as Structure (Aluminium) for Furnace salvaging

• Demo Charge preview AR remains green from successfully attaching even while others have turned orange due to impending detonation

• Mackerel ghost ship personal terminals pop off when yanking a computer terminal

• Released doors can sometimes rebind to the doorframe they came from

• Detonating preview incorrectly shows up on Frozen demo charges when valid charges are also detonated

• When starting a new shift wheel shows 100% but selecting the tool will show the accurate %

• Blocky shadows on Mackerels next to lights in the main cabin

• Remaining Mass bar may be incorrect if a ship is salvaged in multiple shift

• Demo charges can go through a cargo hatch

• Hidden data drive reappears after being destroyed

• On the cut point of the amplifiers, a triangle can be seen under the regular texture depicting a square

• Stickers screen localization does not change language correctly using the loc debugger

• On Javelins, the exterior pillars connecting the octagon panels are misaligned

• Crash during the Ship Catalog, when the user claimed a new ship

• In the HAB, using Select and Quit button at the same time leads to start a shift while being still in the HAB

• Demo Charge Rental Fee not being deducted as after a shift

• On Javelins, level II cut points have similar textures to level I cut points but are indestructible for the cutter

• Player model fingers on Detonation Tool do not appear to be gripping the tool

• LOD issue on the Geckos’ Access Ladders beyond a certain distance

• Rumble will occasionally continue and not stop when switching from splitsaw to stinger while cutting

• The Stickers menu is not translated, when changing the game’s language in any other language

• New stickers notification number is right justified and does not match the alignment of the new message notification

• Unjointed AI Node with no emissives seen in mackerel heavy cargo

• Controller able to navigate inbox even when greyed out

• Atmospheric regulator became stuck as ‘in progress’ when activated via haunting as player cut the door

• Cannot dismiss ‘purchase upgrade’ pop-up after purchasing an upgrade

When you check your expenses at the start of the game now there’s a fee for displaying the list of fees.

LYNX never missing a trick.

Must be a subsidiary of Alterra Corporation.

I vaguely remember the ATM in the student bookstore in college lo these many years ago having a similar (but hidden!) fee for me to check the balance of my checking account, which was with a different, I guess, bank than the ATM, and getting an overdraft fee charge because of it.

Pro-tip: If you’re going through the tutorial (again), make sure to actually pick the higher difficulty ship when it’s offered to you, or you won’t be able to complete the next shift.

Is this getting VR?

This has been on my wishlist for ages. I generally try not to buy early access games but it called out to me today. :)

Not sure what to make of it so far. The tutorial does a great job of teaching you how the tools work, but does nothing to prepare you for actual deconstruction strategies. So when confronted with your first ship it will either click with you straight away, or it won’t. For me it was the latter.

I spent about an hour flying around the bloody thing, cutting off crappy strips of metal and shooting the stupidly obvious “shoot here” yellow bits. I did get to salvage goal 2 but was getting a bit fed up by then and called it a day.

Is it just because the first ship is crap, or am I doing something wrong? I found that almost all I was getting from it was aluminium panels worth hardly anything. Also I had several large sections of ship that didn’t appear to be possible to cut down any further, but they were so big I had to slowly and laboriously drag them to the processor. It felt like I wasn’t playing correctly, but I definitely couldn’t cut them down any further. Are you supposed to salvage the entire ship, ideally?

I’m not totally put off though. I liked enough of what I saw that I will definitely have another try later. It’s relaxing fun and I can imagine more complex ships needing a lot of thought and planning put into them.

The music is bloody awful. :(

After a few tutorial missions, you get tethers, which makes it much easier to get rid of those large ship components.

Splendid, thanks. I’ll keep plugging away at it then.

also you can force push objects(F i think) and they’ll keep going in the direction you push them. For the bigger pieces, i push them about 3 times in rapid succession, then go after something else. Tethers i generally reserve for really big pieces, reactors, and awkward pieces that would take many pushes to get there.

So for me, i just pull something enough to get it aligned with a destination and give it a shove.

Yeah, I don’t wanna ‘port beg’, but the game will be an ideal target for a VR conversion. Part because the zero gravity, part because cutting the ships with your own hands would rock.

Thanks, yeah the tutorial does cover force pushing but even that takes a while for the >2,000kg pieces.

I did play again, and definitely enjoyed it more. Funnily enough it scratches the same itch that games like Rover Mechanic Simulator do. I think I might find the free play or open play options preferable, because it’s annoying having to go pick up oxygen all the time (I assume there’s an upgrade to make it last longer somewhere down the line).

Some annoyances remain though. One particular irritation is if I’m too fast selecting a different tool, it doesn’t “take”, and I end up shooting something I meant to grapple or vice versa. I sent some feedback about that one. But on the whole a pretty enjoyable game. I definitely want to continue on and see how complex the ships get.

Screw VR, this game could use multiplayer!

It’s been mentioned but I wouldn’t hold your breath. Seems a very distant proposition, post early-access if at all.

I just started and on ship 3. Just wanted to ask if all of you laboriously strip and put everything in the right boxes or processor, furnace or salvage, or you basically don’t sweat the small bits (that are really low value) and just shove a huge piece of processor-metals with little bits of lights/wires into the processor bin, and just eat the few small wrong items? I just can’t be bothered yanking out tiny lights which have almost no dollar value.

Do you guys get many crashes? I just installed and tried a level 2 ship and crashed twice in a few minutes of cutting…then just came here as I was frustrated.

Thanks.