Hardspace: Shipbreaker, blue collar space sim about salvage

They are further up the chain now. I forget which exact cert level but it’s like 13 or so.

If you have the limpet mine cutters unlocked and get a long range fuel Javelin in dock with 24 nested 950kg fuel tanks, and then you put those two things together it turns out you can make your GPU attain negative frame rate numbers.

I think I went back in a time a few seconds.

Radiation is a thing now.

I’m glad to have radiation in there for Fun™ reasons and also because it gives them another way to apply difficulty. Outside of Ghost ships I’d reached a point where all the difficulty in salvaging a ship was being controlled by how many of the atmosphere regulators were broken (spoiler alert: all of them) which meant the only real puzzle I was getting was the best way to vent compartments.

Deliberately rupturing a coolant tank and throwing it into the rad filters is a fun time.

Unexpended ordnance and other fun stuff in a battle-damaged military vessel would be a super awesome next step. Unexploded shells stuck in the armor of in a frigate, anyone?

Edit: just fanboi-ing not on the road map as far as I know.

Ships with battle damage and potentially unexploded ordinance would be awesome.

This heavy refueling Javelin is so long the nose is resting on the Hab.

So many fuel tanks that I got 7 million credits out of it before even opening the doors.

A new update

Game is on sale, too.

Ooooooooo!!! I will have to dive back in once I finish the Halo Infinite campaign and the new AC DLCs.

Any plans for VR?

I wish! It seems an ideal game for it.

I bought this just before Christmas and it’s basically all I’ve played since. It hits all the right notes to keep me playing way too late at night.

I unlocked Gecko transports yesterday and managed to get all the salvage tiers on my first try at one. Usually I screw something up and end up with a cloud of scrap where some expensive thing used to be. Fuel tanks + cutting beams are a bad combination…

I do wish the game would save a partially salvaged ship across playsessions. Ships take me an hour or two to finish, so it would be nice to have the option to save and come back. I think it’s on their roadmap, but it’s a pretty important feature to be missing, given how Lynx Points scale with salvage tiers. (Tier 1 on that Gecko last night gave 100 LP, Tier 5 at 90% salvaged gave 7200 LP.)

Regardless, it’s a lot of fun. I don’t usually bite at early access games, but this one is already well worth it.

They definitely take feedback seriously. I had a really cool experience where I asked them to please add a game mode without a time limit, and within an update or two, it was in the game.

But they also disabled some of the mechanics in that mode (I think it was the O2 meter) and that made it feel a bit too coddled, so I asked them to please make a toggle, and within an update or two, that was in the game as well.

I don’t know if I can take credit for any of it, I assume there were plenty of people who wanted those things, but it certainly made for an awesome Early Access experience.

At this point the game has come a long way, and they really haven’t messed with anything they shouldn’t mess with, so I have a lot of faith in those guys.

I hope they do and add VR support. This would be an insane experience in the most amazing way.

Yeah, it would rock - VR was mentioned many moons ago as ‘possibly, after everything else is done…’ but I don’t think they ever will.

Maybe this big influx of new Quest 2 owners may sway them, I don’t know, but retrofitting VR is a big job and I think they’ll do the console versions first after 1.0 releases.

They could at least add suspend/resume, but I understand that’s ‘too hard’. I haven’t played much because of that.

The game has famously bad performance, so I think that’s an important obstacle to solve to be able do to a VR version…

I’ve noticed very occasional hitches, but it’s running quite well at 3440×1400 on my 1070ti. Maybe they’ve improved performance recently?

The next update takes the game all the way from 0.7.0 to 1.0

Sweet, that’s sooner than I was expecting. I’ve been avoiding the game since they said another progression wipe was coming, and I didn’t want to play this so much that it felt like an actual job.

Dust off your mag-gloves and charge your split-saw, we’ve got some great news! The date for Hardspace: Shipbreaker’s 1.0 Update, and its full release from Early Access, is set. Your first shift in the full version will begin on May 24, 2022.