Has anyone actually completed Dungeon Siege?

I quit after realizing the game play would become pause and chug potions more and more.

Chris Taylor’s original Dungeon Siege was a breath of fresh air for action-RPGs. While it was hardly an original concept, it took the key elements of the genre and poured them into a beautiful world full of unique monsters, lots of treasures, and hidden secrets.

• Gagging sound. *

I’d pay a few bucks for a nice screensaver like that.

I finished it and for me, sometimes a bit of “dumbing down” is a welcome distraction. Sure it is a lot of “clicky clicky” combat but I am not a fan of rpg type games that require an excel spreadsheet keep track of spells and powers.

Combat was easy, sure it was linear but I don’t have a problem with that, it wasn’t too long so I didn’t really feel like it was dragging… kind of easy but sometimes that is a good thing.

I gotta say that DS2 from the demo I saw at E3 last year looks pretty good too… definitely improves on the game, assumeing you liked the first game.

You have the right of it, walTer. There’s nothing that is going to appeal to everyone. You have to play a game like DS knowing what it brings to the table. Fortunately, I’ve enjoyed cRPGs from heavy dialogue/story driven ones to the more action click-fest sorts; I love games with lots of character stats and development paths, but I can also go for a simplistic style like that in DS. The bottom line is that I have to have fun playing it and it gives me enough leisure time to make it worth the price.

DS2 is a game I’m certainly looking forward to playing. Considering the ongoing meager trickle of non-MMO PC RPGs, even if it was just an okay game, I’d take it on. I’m surprised more companies haven’t been taking advantage of the current cRPG drought.

In case anyone’s curious, I beat the game in about 22 or 23 hours of total playtime. The gameplay picked up a bit during the last hour or two.

I played through most of the game with a party consisting of 4 tanks, 1 combat caster, 1 nature caster and one mule. The tanks finished with their melee skill in the low to mid 50s. The casters ended up having their primary casting skill in the high 40s. I did a bit of research and found out that some of the high end spells require a casting skill of over 100! So now I’m thinking about trying the multiplayer mode to see if I can get a powerful mage type so I can play around with those spells. I love high level spells! Not sure if I’ll actually go through with this or if I’ll peter out after a while though.

Overall, I do think the game was pretty bland. The game had no soul. The potential was there, however, and I’m still looking forward to the sequel.

I found the game somewhat interesting on hard. I had to control each character very carefully. Perhaps I did not know the “uber” combo that would make this easy though.