Heat signature - Tom Francis goodness

This needs its own thread. It is a mixture of neon chrome and cryptark, only played an hour so far but it is really fun. @Left_Empty wouldn’t like it.

It seems there are many different ways of tackling a level. There is even a mini game to board the ships.

I encourage you to buy this is you like either Gunpoint or cryptark.

Alex

It has a great launch trailer! Narrated by Alex Ashby:

Steam link:

I talked my co-workers ears off about this all day today. I am blown away by the many smart design decisions in this game. For example, when you are flying your pod, right mouse click matches velocity of the closest thing of interest. It’s such a more accessible design as opposed to just hitting the brakes doing “reduce velocity” which is what every other inertial space flight game I’ve played does.

It’s this weird mix of hard as balls and forgiving. It’s super easy to “die”/get captured, but then you can rescue yourself.

Yeah. and every time you rescue yourself it comes at a cost to their hardiness that can never be replenished. At some point
it seems you gotta retire the character when they get long in the tooth… or risk losing them forever.

Was looking for a Heat Sig thread yesterday and was mildly shocked that it didn’t exist! So thanks.

Anyhoo, this game makes great tales for sharing at space-bars.

For example, that time I had a defector mission and he had only a 16 shot silenced pistol and a 3-charge crashbeam to kill a guy on a big ship (5 locks) with lots of 4-packs of guards, usually including 1 with a perma-shield! Oh, and the target had a perma-shield too, which basically meant he was impervious to my gun.

It took me a few tries (defector missions can be replayed without penalty) but I finally learned to use the hazardous and fragile environment (and my pod!) to my advantage. I had to blow holes in the ship, by shooting fuel canisters, to “space” the shield-guys because I couldn’t kill them with guns, once my crashbeam was out of charges.

Finally made it to the target and he blasted a window and vented me into space but I got right back with my pod. I used the same tactic on him but I had to get him to chase me a ways, dodging his bullets the entire way, until we got to another window, which I shot and we both got sucked out! Fortunately, I had a pod… my target did not. He suffocated and the mission was a success!

Drinks are on me!

Someone on Twitter mentioned they were pausing a lot. Isn’t this a pure action game? Can you pause it and study the map or something? In the brief videos I watched, no one was pausing.

I think you pretty much have to pause. Its a bit weird really. You get to within a certain radius of the opponent, pause aim at them then hope your attack goes off before theirs, usually one hit is fatal. Like I say, kind of weird. Not sure if its bad or good weird yet.

From what I’ve watched, you can pause indefinitely, including changing equipment and such while paused. You can also use slow time to dodge bullets, etc. this looks fun, but I worry about any sort of mission where stealth is required. Stealth and I do not get along.

You guys make it sound intriguing. So it’s not real actiony since you’re pausing to aim?

I need to find a better stream I guess. Any suggestions?

Yep, you should pause to study the layout. while paused you can move the camera about, hover over things and get tooltips (such as what the guards are carrying, armour, etc), change equipment, and also teleport nearby equipment to you. When you are spotted by a guard, time slows down. When you depress the LMB or RMB to use one of your equipments, time also slows down until you release the button to actually trigger the ability. So its like a bit of Hotline Miami meets Superhot.

is the fighting similar to hotline miami? it looks almost like it (which is good)

It is very similar. But with the aforementioned pausing and slowdown that gives a bit of breathing room to think between actions.

The game tells you in the tooltips/tutorials that you should be pausing constantly, which you can do whenever you want for as long as you want. It’s kinda cool.

The only thing I wish, is that I could use a controller. WASD is so clunky. Also maybe map more than 2 mouse buttons to functions as all this does is add busy work as you pause and swap stuff around.

I can’t imagine playing it without pausing constantly. Even as it is I’ve died because I failed to pause in time. But then I do have terrible reactions.

Shameless: I’m looking to get the cheevo for “Coming Through- Rescue a friend’s character” so if you manage to get your character captured, please friend me on steam: ssh4life

A great mix of extreme pleasure and extreme frustration.

Sometimes the game can feel extremely unfair when you start a mission, the ship comes under attack and then you instantly lose from it going to a friendly base in 10 seconds. There are also times when damage to a ship causes it to be impossible. There are also missions which i am pretty sure are impossible from generation.

According to Tom F, this is selling much better than Gunpoint, which was already very successful (relative to budget).

Special Halloween update for Heat Signature.

Tom Francis is a national treasure.

Oh cool, thanks for the heads up!