Help Choosing a Pre-built Gaming PC Please

Cheap and good mean exactly the same thing now?

Cool. You win.

C’mon guys.

I will stop replying to Dave to quit shitting up your thread.

It’s just ridiculous to me to state that “top retailer” somehow equates to quality. There’s a reason why they bought Alienware. Because they had a brand known for gaming and Dell is know for selling corner cutting crap in bulk to businesses just like hp and that is why they are still around.

I’m sure I’d not even have to try very hard to find plenty of other things that I’d agree with Dave on, but this isn’t one of them.

Having worked with dell enterprise systems as desktop support at a college in the mid 2000’s the dell towers we had were rock solid in terms of reliability. Great support from them as well during the windows 7 upgrade process. As far as enterprise computing solutions, I think it is difficult to find someone better than dell to supply your computers.

That and the XPS line has always been solid, have had 2 (a laptop and a desktop) and they both lasted 5 years or so before needing to be replaced, and only the laptop died.

Oh, wasn’t speaking about your situation specifically, just rambling on about things in general. Never mind, nothing to see here. These aren’t the droids you’re looking for. Look, a squirrel!

Oh, alright, I thought you were directing your statement toward me. Thanks for clarifying! :)

Good thread. I am looking at getting something new as well, had purchased Dell in the past and was looking at the 8930 and now Aurora prior to reading this. I simply don’t have @BrianRubin money. :) That said, I also don’t have the requirements to do all his fanciness Brian does either. Mostly the Sims for my kids and decent strategy game performance with a little 1st person RPG thrown in there until the nausea gets me and I give up after about 20 total hours. ;)

Hah, keep in mind I’ve been saving for a year specifically for this very thing.

“saving”…huh…I’ll need to Google that.

It’s actually kinda fun to do the planning and shopping for a new rig, especially if you have the money set aside and aren’t under a time constraint. Hope you find what you want!

I’m not really, but since my main game HD just died, I figured now is the time, you know?

I’ve both bought and built over the years. Believe it or not my current PC is a former HP whose mobo went bad. For around $300 five or six years ago I replaced the mobo and put in an AMD A10 chip and new memory. Served me well for all this time, and no dedicated video card. I cannot play the latest high end stuff but at the time it could play Modern Warfare 3 pretty well.

Just picked up a Dell 5675 with a 1700X off eBay for $650. I was thinking about a newer one for $1200 that has the 2700X at Best Buy but the $550 difference was too enticing.

What I do these days is try to spec out a pre built system with comparable specs on PCPartPicker and if I can beat it then I’ll build. Lately I haven’t been able to beat the prebuilts, mostly because of the goddamn hyperinflated video cards.

Ohhh, you guys, lookit!

Dell hardware improved dramatically after Michael Dell took it private a couple years ago. I agree quality control was an issue for a good 5+ years before that.

That would probably explain a lot.

Eurogamer just linked to this 1080Ti plus parts bundle. Maybe of interest…?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1430438-REG/evga__gtx_1080_ti_ftw3.html

Hmmm only 11GB?

How much do you need?

Over 9000!

Well here we go:

$1,199 for a 2080 TI.