Help Choosing a Pre-built Gaming PC Please

Launching on September 20th apparently.

Yup, that then begs the question…spring for one of these new cards, or stick with the 1080…

If you go all-in on a 2080 series, the $3k budget no longer seems outlandish.

Yeah, if you want to spend $3K, this is the way to do it.

Yeah, it was about $2,600 with the 1080 TI. Wheee.

Part of me wants to wait to see if EVGA announces a 20XX line soon, as I’m a massive fan of theirs.

Obviously, all the standard AIBs will be releasing 20-series cards. You’ll just have to wait an extra month.

It’ll be tough…but I think I can do it…maybe…

Same thing I faced with the 1080. AIB cards were the same price as Founders’, and clocked higher, and had better cooling. But that exact month was rough.

Yeah. I think unless my primary SSD dies in my current machine, I can wait.

You should just do whichever one is the correct choice.

I’ll need time to figure out what that is.

Don’t be that guy that has been anticipating the Next Big Apple product for so long that he ends up breaking down and buying last year’s model like a week before the new models are released.

Either way, I’d wait until the new card releases. That will drive the costs down on the 1080s, if you go that route.

Yeah, I’ll likely splurge for a 20 series, I just want an EVGA variant ultimately.

Not really. Once the 20-series are on the market the 10-series will completely disappear, unless you’re willing to buy used. There’s a very brief window where both are available, before everybody sells out of the old inventory.

Here we go:

https://www.evga.com/articles/01249/evga-geforce-rtx-20-series/

Pre-order link doesn’t seem to work.

Ah, here we go:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2383-KR

$1249. Wow.

Brian,

Back to the question that was raised about budget and return on investment.

What is the quantifiable benefit that you expect to see dropping that much coin for 1080P gaming (your current rez) or even 1440P gaming? I honestly don’t think you’ll get more than a couple of extra FPS, versus something like a 1070, even at high settings for the vast majority of games. Is it the VR gaming? I don’t do VR gaming, so I don’t know what the technical requirements are for improved VR gaming.

Frankly, I think dropping a fraction of that money on a nice, modern 1440 monitor would make a much bigger difference on your gaming experience.

Yeah, as much as I want the 2080, I like my monitor and don’t wanna replace it until it dies, so I might stick with the 1080 TI.