Help Choosing a Pre-built Gaming PC Please

I think this is what I’ll finally go with:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/brianrubin/saved/73K4qs

You’re still planning to pair that with a 1080P monitor? I don’t think you’re going to see much, if any, improvement over a bog standard 1070 at 1080P. I’m also curious as to why the Ryzen over a i5 or i7 Coffee Lake? Is it the streaming capability? The sound card is interesting. Are you able to resolve the difference between audio from a discrete sound card over the on-board audio nowadays? I can’t. On the memory, have you looked at some of the articles and tests comparing 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB of memory? The performance benefits aren’t great. My current PC has 24GB, but that’s because it was a refurb and simply came that way. I would have been happy if it was 16GB.

Weren’t you planning to get a VR rig, too?

Back to my first comment in this thread and bottlenecks, I think your “bottleneck” is the 1080P monitor. It’s going to limit a lot of those other expensive parts.

This could work for you, maybe? $749

I agree with @stusser , don’t buy last gen , unless its far below msrp.

I certainly wouldn’t buy a 1080ti. Get a 2070 instead.

I THINK my monitor can go higher, but I’m not sure.

Ohhhhhhhhh. Choices choices.

The more I think on this, as much as I want a new PC now now now…sigh…is to wait a couple of months. See how these new cards perform. See which EVGA card might be the best for me…maybe get a new monitor…ugh…

You will see performance numbers before the 9/20/18 ship date for sure.

If you want to scratch the itch while also waiting for a few months, have you considered just buying the 2TB “storage” SSD that I assume your games are going on? It’d be easy enough to throw that in your current system and then swap it over when you fully commit.

A 1440p monitor, say 27" or so would also be easy to carry across builds and for PC-specific games I think it’ll be a really nice upgrade for you.

Yeah, I’m considering that course of action.

Here’s a silly idea: Get everything except the video card and use the one I have now (GTX 770) until I get that figured out.

I also wanna see if my current monitor can do 1440p

The GTX770 can output 1440P. You don’t have to do anything to figure out if your current monitor can handle 1440P other than to go in display settings and seeing if it is available.

Yeah, I used to game at 1440p on my old GTX770. It did… OK. 40fps commonly. And that was many years ago.

I shall do that THIS VERY EVENING.

Sigh. Poopiedooks.

Brian have you ever considered a TV for a monitor?

I use a 43" Sony 4k tv, sitting 3 feet away, and have been very happy with its performance.

I don’t have the space for that, sadly. 27 inches is the largest I can do in this space.

Then… it is time. Your hand is forced. The path lies before you. Time for greatness!

In the name of the Space Emperor, not one step back. Charge!!

https://www.amazon.com/Asus-Swift-PG27UQ-inch-Widescreen/dp/B07F1VGGLK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534808253&sr=8-1&keywords=ROG+Swift+PG27UQ

(It looks like they’re sold out right now. MSRP is $2k US.)

To be honest HDR gaming is the hot thing for me now; i can’t play 3rd person “big” games on PC now because they lack the HDR you get on HDR TVs. HDR PC gaming is … pretty low rent by comparison. Now, in fairness, you play mostly space games, so you’re unlikely to notice because you’re unlikely to find many HDR capable space games. But if you do stray into Ubisoft-land once in a while you’ll bump into HDR enabled titles.

There are almost no real HDR monitors for PC right now; you’re literally better off getting a TV. The big problem is max brightness. My Sony HDR TV gets pupil-clenching bright. Outdoor levels really are a whole other experience. There are HDR compatible monitors for PC but they usually only hit 300 nits of brightness. The Sony hits 1000, and some of the higher end TVs hit well over 1000.

That’s why that Asus is selling at such a huge premium. It’s getting TV like brightness (not quite 1000 nits) but ALSO with g-sync and fast refresh rates, which TVs typically don’t have.

I think he said $3000 for the system, not for the monitor :/