Help Choosing a Pre-built Gaming PC Please

Yeah, I like my monitor, once it dies then I’ll upgrade. :)

You’re not on the VR space sim train? 1080Ti I might help you out with certain VR applications.

Since I’m considering this from Fry’s, this seems a good option here as well. They’re farther away and charge a bit more, but it might be worth it since, from what I understand, they have a better reputation than Fry’s.

A man after my own heart.

^ Typed on a Model M. So very clicky.

An i7 is nice for non-gaming tasks such as audio or video transcoding, stuff that can light up all the cores.

Yeah, I finally gave up my ibm keyboard some years back. There are other nice mechanical ones out there these days.
Sounds like i7 is, in fact, the way to go in your case.

Wait, you don’t keep spares in the garage?

I have three spares.

Those are pretty cool. No MicroCenters anywhere near here, though.

So friends, I’ve asked around other places, and this is what Loyd Case himself recommends:

• Ryzen 7 2700X CPU
  • Gigabyte Gaming 5 X470 mobo
  • 32GB DDR4-3200 DRAM (probably Corsair Vengeance)
  • Corsair H60 sealed liquid CPU cooler
  • Samsung EVO 2TB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD
  • Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium PSU
  • EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC
  • Case – either Corsair Crystal 570 case if you want to bling out or Corsair Obsidian 550D if you want just something quiet

Fascinating.

That might actually get to 3k.

Again I wouldn’t buy the 1080ti right now, but the rest of it looks great. I would never buy a water cooler myself, but they’re fine too.

Note that if you edit a lot of video, intel CPUs offload to quicksync in adobe premiere now which is a big deal.

Yeah, especially since he’s playing at 1080p. I totally respect wanting the new shiny, but you could spend that money on a much better card, perhaps pretty soon.

The entire reason I suggested the Falcon Tiki is that it comes in a chassis that is only a tiny bit larger than an Xbox One. I have mine hooked up to my TV as my Steam Big Picture machine.

You can absolutely save money by building yourself or getting someone else to put a box together for you. But in return for throwing money at the problem I got an amazingly small, dead quiet, beautiful looking box with superb build quality and known working parts integration, plus decent tech support to boot. The one time I had a (minor) problem, they were all over it. Since for me time is my most precious commodity, this worked great for me; the four other friends I know who also bought a Tiki feel the same.

https://www.falcon-nw.com/desktops/tiki/design/detail

I’m sorry for all the questions, but which card might that be?

No problem. And it’s been mentioned multiple times, but nVidia is expected to announce the 11 series soon. That’s why people are saying to wait on a video card if you can.

Yeah, I’m gonna sleep on it a bit. Part of me wants a new toy now now now, but part of me knows it’s best to take the time go do the research.

It’ll just be tough to limp along with nearly no extra space until then.

But you could get a new system without investing in a high-end video card. Anything from the 10 series should be fine for the resolution you are playing at. Then invest in an 11 when they come out instead. Just a thought.

What you say makes much sense. Thank you.