Hey, how can I get Discourse to do X?

Nope. None of these topics appear in the “new” view. I’m guessing because I posted in them at some point when it was on the front page. They’re all in my “unread” view. When I go to the link you posted, it’s empty list.

Dismiss them from the unread tab in that category, then.

Ah! Thank you, wumpus!

I didn’t realize I could do that. I must have been in latest, looking for the dismiss button, but that view has an endless scroll. I’m still getting my feet under me with discourse.

I ran into another discourse forum for a python course I’m taking at Codecademy, so this is all good stuff.

I’m just gonna be the old fart and admit I don’t like the new forum software. It is so different from the way every other forum I visit and the only one where I feel I have to spend a lot of time learning how to do things that I do intuitively on every other forum (technical, business, gaming, sports, etc.)

Not that I expect any changes, but just registering my two cents as an old QT3er.

I still don’t understand the difference between some of the concepts in Discourse.

Tracking vs. Watched, for example. I think the only difference is the amount of email you get. I have email notifications turned off for the most part so maybe this means these two states are the same to me? Except there seem to be actual views which depend on them.

Also, “New” vs. “Latest”. No idea what these are supposed to be, but what I see when I visit them doesn’t really make sense to me. When I browse to “Latest”, I see a bunch of threads, some of which are bolded, which tells me there are new posts to read, sometimes in threads I have either “watched” or “tracked” (??)! Then I go to my “New” page and see an empty page. No idea why I’m not seeing things there, or what I even should see.

It’s all very confusing, and words are being used to refer to cryptic system concepts and not the actual, human use you’d expect.

On the plus side, I did discover a way to view a list of both read and unread threads that I’ve subscribed to on a single page, by visiting https://forum.quartertothree.com/latest?state=tracking or https://forum.quartertothree.com/latest?state=watching. Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be a way to actually get to these pages via the navigation, so I guess I’ll have to ignore the nav completely and just browse this site via bookmarks…

Watched notifies (with a pip on your avatar in the top-right corner and, if your settings call for it, an email) every time anyone posts in the thread. It’s the default level for threads you yourself start.

Tracking just appends a little blue “unread counter” every time new posts show up on the thread wherever the thread’s name is listed. The bubble will will turn grey if you were in the thread when they showed up, but did not scroll down far enough to see them.

New = Entirely new threads that you have not yet opened since A) they were created at all and B) since the last time you Dismissed the entire New category.

Unread = Threads you have visited before that contain new posts since A) your last visit to said thread, and B) since the last time you Dismissed the entire Unread category.

Both of these options will bold the thread title wherever it’s listed for you. Moreover, due to the port of old post data from vBulletin being imperfect, this information may not be totally up-to-date for posts you haven’t interacted with since the move. Your “last read” marker was set to the last post you made in those threads during the migration, so if you had read a whole post on vBulletin, but never posted at all in it, then the whole thing will be considered New (and, consequently, Bold) for you.

Latest = All threads in reverse-chronological order of last posting/editing activity.

Mentally add the word “Topics” here, “New Topics” as in, topics that were created recently. If it is empty, it means no new topics were created recently.

(You can redefine the concept of new in your user preferences, e.g. you may only consider things truly “new” that were created in the last day.)

The new feature where a passive light red line indicates topics above the line were updated since your last visit is in fact deployed here, but the custom override CSS in Admin, Customize is overwriting it. I will need to tweak to make sure it is not overwritten. Maybe after the kids are in bed…

OK @aleck here’s your feature in action, now that I’ve fixed the override CSS that was preventing it from displaying.

It’s a nice passive topic list indicator for all Discourse instances. And remember, you must be absent from the website for at least an hour on all devices for your “I was last here” date to change.

I just noticed that! Neat little feature :-)

There were some bugs with this feature, where the dim red last visited line wouldn’t show unless you originally loaded the page with the topic list. I just deployed latest with bugfixes for this, so now it should show more reliably.

Why do I occasionally see an empty content message that says something like “X poster deleted this message and it will be available for 24 hours unless flagged.”

What is the purpose of this message?

Who does the flagging and what is the basis for the flagging. As far as i can see, it’s just an empty message. Why would you flag it? For being empty? Why show the message and tell me about flagging and making the post disappear? Why not just delete it without all the fanfare?

That means the poster deleted their own post, generally I think maybe the idea is that if it was an offensive post it doesn’t go away immediately so action can be taken to deal with the poster before the evidence trail goes away? I dunno. But you can see the edit history, so you can see what the post was.

Typically it’s just a blank post!

I can see the need for the kind of functionality you’re describing, but I have never seen this situation you describe. I will have to check the next one I see for an edit history.

If it’s just a blank post or a duplicate of another post, Discourse should just discard it. The sense I get is that these were double posts (that server error thing that occasionally happens). Not a big deal, but it just seems annoying to be told to flag a blank post.

We’re all having a secret conversation via these “blank posts.” Only Lessers can’t see them. Learn your place, Tim!

:)

Okay, from now on, I’m flagging all those posts I see because that’s just not right.

[quote=“TimElhajj, post:602, topic:119996, full:true”]
Okay, from now on, I’m flagging all those posts I see because that’s just not right.[/quote]

Like!

Should we flag this one? :)

hahaha, I know. I had a hard time getting it to save and had to create another, so I deleted the first. No, really! I swear!

I wonder if that link will count as a “flag” and make my deleted post persist into the ages? In a few hours, we shall see!

@wumpus Is there a reason why formatting is lost in quotes like this? Is that something we can fix?