Hey, how can I get Discourse to do X?

I’ve also noticed that quotes tend to drop in-line links, while embedded images persist. Oneboxed stuff tends to die horribly, too, IIRC

Also, I noticed that the bug where posting in a thread makes you lose your place in it is still active in the current version of Qt3. A couple of weeks ago (I think) I posted in the “Stupid things Donald Trump says” thread, and I was pretty far behind in catching up, but the moment I hit post, the thread jumped to my post, and it counted me as having read the thread up to that point from then on.

I thought this was fixed after the Qt3 test forum? Anyway, this is the first time I’ve tested it since, and it still works the same way. So for now, if you want to keep your place in the thread, don’t post in the thread.

Have you gone into settings and checked “Don’t jump to my post after I reply”?

I have now! Thanks. I think I did that on the test forums, but forgot to do it on the real page.

I’ll try it now.

EDIT: Even with that setting checked, it still did the same behavior when I posted in the “Stranger Things” thread. It jumped right to the end to my post.

Did you remember to hit “Save Changes” on the user preferences page? I’m so used to form answers auto-saving now via big internet conglomerates that I always forget that step these days.

You also have to set it to not jump to your reply, probably

Wow, that actually worked. Every time I went into options (and I checked 3 different times, even signing out between tries) it said the option was selected. But after I hit “Save Changes”, it finally changed behaviors. So the website was remembering what changes I wanted, even between sessions, but it didn’t actually change settings until I hit save changes. Interesting.

Well it works now. Thanks!

In the OP of the Elite: Dangerous thread, there were links to lots of excellent posts throughout that thread. Those links didn’t survive the transition to Discourse. Is there a way to automatically change those links so they find the correct posts in that thread again?

Probably, whats a link to the post?

Here is the thread:

In that OP, there’s links to lots of useful posts, and they were originally like this:

That post numbering system is obviously different now.

Changing

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?71093-Elite-Dangerous-Kickstarter-Launched&p=3682735&highlight=#post3682735

to

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?71093

Works fine for linking to the topic, but if you want to deep link to individual posts, I don’t think we added support for that as part of the migration. If it helps, Discourse post numbering is linear, the first post in each topic is #1, and the last is #xxx. Post numbers are always relative to the topic.

Is there an old database still active somewhere, where one could check to see which posts each of those linked to? Then we could find the corresponding post in Discourse much easier. Like a snapshot old version of the forums that’s still active somewhere?

I think @stusser had one up for the first week or so after the migration, but turned it off because (sensibly) he didn’t want to be responsible for patching vBulletin forever.

Yeah, can’t have it up for that. You have another way to find those posts, as above.

Hmmmm. Any ideas? I could narrow some of them down by poster. Problem is those same posters have a LOT of posts in that thread. But that’s the only filter I can think of that might be the biggest help.

I’ll look into it tomorrow. But if anyone has any bright ideas, let me know before then.

Here’s the relevant section:

[quote]Sharaleo’s Friendly Thread of Qt3 friends and group lists: Elite: Dangerous - The Friendly Thread of Friends and Group Lists - Games - Quarter To Three Forums
The Poop on Fuel Scoop: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched - Games - Quarter To Three Forums
Scharmers’ advice to new players: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched - Games - Quarter To Three Forums
Scharmers’ quick guide to bounty hunting: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched - Games - Quarter To Three Forums
How to take screenshots: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched - Games - Quarter To Three Forums
Best way to play with a mouse and keyboard, according to our own gurugeorge: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched - Games - Quarter To Three Forums And his later M/K update: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched - Games - Quarter To Three Forums
“I suck at combat” results in suggestions on how to not suck: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched - Games - Quarter To Three Forums
[li]Kelan’s guide to farming USS: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched - Games - Quarter To Three Forums

More Useful Links:

krazykrok’s guide to landing
conVurt’s guide to exploring[/quote]

Some clues there. I don’t think Kelan has that many posts in that thread, so that one should be simple to find. Same with conVurt’s guide to exploring, even though he has many posts in the thread.

I would narrow it down by poster then searching for a likely word relating to the specific post you’re looking for.

Hey, how can I get Discourse to go back?

So:

1. On Android chrome.
  2. Looking at this post.
  3. I press on the little “replied to” bit and give the post they’re replying to a quick read.

Now how do I go “back”?

Pressing the back button takes me out of the thread. In the end I just had to scroll. Thankfully it was only 5 or so posts away. But what if it was 50?? How would I know when to stop?

In topics where you have not yet read everything, you will see a little “back” button appear on the vertical timeline when you scroll up in a topic. But that’s not visible on mobile.

Part of a coming change in 1.7 beta is to make the vertical timeline visible on mobile when you expand the progress bar, so that might work. This also lets us show the topic title, at the time of progress bar expansion.

I notice the address bar changes as I scroll. Usually browsers hop between previous address when you press ‘back’. I imagine you guys suppress this so when scrolling through 100 posts you don’t have 100 backsworth of clicking to do.

Can’t you not-supress it when following a ‘replied to’ link. (Assuming I’m correct about a browsers behaviour and the back button)

Edit: ps, weirdly, if you press search and the top, then check the box, then press back, the box gets unchecked! Thanks Discourse/chrome ;)

Is there a way to hide stickies from that latest view list of the landing page? Related, is there a way to increase the amount of topics per forum showing up in the latest view list?