Hey, how can I get Discourse to do X?

You can pinch to zoom in or out on all pages on all websites in iOS 10, so try that.

Whatā€™s so special about a Discourseā€™s textboxes that requires specific browsers?

Dunno, ā€œChromeā€ on iOS is quirky as fuck, it is in IE6 territory.

The Discourse connection error page says something like ā€œwe couldnā€™t load that page, possibly due to a connection error.ā€

But when I view it on my phone, the way it stacks, ā€œpossiblyā€ is right under ā€œloadā€. So, every time I see that page before I hit refresh, I transpose the words and read ā€œI couldnā€™t possibly load that pageā€¦ā€, like a flustered Victorian lady.

Is there a reason why really old threads are popping up at or near the top, with apparently bogus recent posts?

For example, over in Everything Else I see ā€œcan someone recommend a good durable toaster ovenā€ as the 6th most recent topic and it says there is a post from 3 hours ago, but the most recent real post is over 3 years old.

Are these ghosts created by some robot auto-post that were also auto-filtered? Or is it just me anyway?

I actually really like Chrome on iOS. The pull to refresh and close tab gestures are particularly useful. Unfortunately it doesnā€™t work with Safari content-blocking so itā€™s not even in the running.

Spam posts that get deleted

After using Discourse for a while now, Iā€™ve gotten used to most of the changes.

The one thing that still bothers me regularly is that I read a lot of older threads where Iā€™m behind, and having to hover over the approximate date to get the real date for every post is very annoying.

I imagine Iā€™ll get used to that as well by next year though.

Nah, the bizarre insistence on obscuring the date is maddening yo. At least on desktop, itā€™s not like there isnā€™t space. . .

I agree. Just give me the dang date.

Read really old topics and the date will be absolute.

No, thatā€™s not how dates work. If i went to a message board and read something on 09/01/2001 donā€™t you think the fact it was on 911 actually means something? It means a hell of a lot more than just a quick line that just states 6 years ago.

Or are you saying really old is is just code for at some point the posts stop counting time and show the date? If thatā€™s the case, whatā€™s that time frame?

Iā€™m working on making it an option in my script. Iā€™ll post when itā€™s done.

Remember that interstitial time gaps will be shown when more than ~10 days elapses between replies. And you can always hover over to get the actual date and time, to the second, if needed.

Stallman bless you, @arrendek. @wumpus makes Discourse, but you make it great ;-)

What he said.

Iā€™ve added it to my script. Next time your script manager auto-updates (or if you manually update it) then youā€™ll see absolute dates. I need to make it an option but thatā€™s going to have to be tomorrow or Wednesday. For now, everyone gets it.

I suggest you create a dedicated topic for your script if you havenā€™t already ā€“ so people can find it and provide feedback directly, etc.

Yep, working on it now. Sorry, got ahead of myself. Iā€™ll link it back to that post after itā€™s done.

Here it is:

And by the by, Discourse is pretty damn easy to work with. I wouldnā€™t be able to do half this shit with vBulletin, and what I could do would be harder.

lifesaver! Now I donā€™t have to use my brainpower unnecessarily!