Hitman III - Hat trick of Death

Haha. Hitman 3 on sale for 50% on Epic Games Store again. People on Steam already mad.

I’m still not sure why they get mad. They’ve been willing to wait for a year for the game in order to show Epic their disdain. Throwing an extra $30 Valve’s way is an extra nose-thumbing they can give the EGS. They should be happy.

Extra $40, because on top of sale it’s also $10 coupon time again! I guess we’ll see how whether they end up in the Steam sale in a couple hours…

Steam sale is live now, and I guess the answer is no.

Heh. My mind did a bit of free association, and reminded this meme.
https://i.imgur.com/AD0eYvd.png

Because what, would they be happy if the game wouldn’t be on sale on EGS, making have ‘parity’ with the Steam price?

At the end on the day, Steam users have shown what they have told many, many times, that Steam isn’t just a pc store, it’s a ‘platform’. Well, being a platform have their downsides, like having their own release date with their own price cycle ($60 at first, first 25% discount some months later, after a year a 50% sale, etc). By not buying it on EGS before despite being cheaper, they showed that it makes sense to apply a separate price cycle to Steam, because it’s like they are saying ‘we value Steam separately, a 50% offer on another platform doesn’t affect me’. So the message was, sales in other stores shouldn’t affect prices on Steam.

That’s fine, another year of waiting is nothing. Maybe they’ll even forget it exists.

I don’t get what one has to do with the other.

There have been plenty of games released on Steam, “the platform” year after EGS, with a release discount and people were welcoming of it, unsurprisingly.

IO decided to milk those who prefer to wait for Steam version. So now they can enjoy their low Steam sales and bad ratings.

It doesn’t have to, but that’s usually how it works across other multiplatform releases.

For instance, a game releases on PS4 at full price. Then it gets a small discount, then bigger discount, then even bigger discount. That third year it also releases on Xbox at full price. Then next big sale it gets a small discount, then bigger discount, then even bigger discount. But the discounts are always behind the PS4 version, which by this point is hitting $10 or $15 because it’s been out for 3 or 4 years already.

Same with the new Sony games that are coming to PC like Days Gone, Horizon: Zero Dawn, God of War. They’re not selling for $10 or $15 like they are on PS4. Not yet.

I get all that.

I am just saying there is a precedent for games that come to Steam after being on EGS for a year to come with a launch discount. And since IO decided to forego such discount and instead charge its 60 euros, they get to reap the low sales, low ratings and bad word of mouth. Lose lose.

https://twitter.com/IOInteractive/status/1486718804633665539

→ All HITMAN 3 Standard Edition owners will get a free upgrade to the HITMAN 3 Deluxe Edition .

→ All HITMAN 3 Deluxe Edition or HITMAN Trilogy owners will get a free upgrade to the Seven Deadly Sins Collection .

Funny you should mention this now. They pulled it off the EGS Lunar sale.

The pricing for this HITMAN series has always been a total nightmare.

Initially episodic, then bundled, but the bundles were kind of confusing, and IIRC there were limitations. Like you couldn’t buy certain content separately, it was connected at the hip to bigger more expensive packages which included content you might already own.

Their Steam launch could have been handled a lot better. There’s Hitman 3/Deluxe and like a bundle that costs $99 but no real benefit to owners that already have HITMAN and HITMAN 2 complete.

For comparison, I bought Control after it released on Steam at a discount and it came with all the DLC/content available in one neat single package. That was pretty damn spiffy.

LOl. So this
https://i.imgur.com/AD0eYvd.png
won. The complaints didn’t make them lower the price on Steam, but increase it on other places. That sure made everybody win…

Glad to see someone defending poor megacorporations.

So dumb, why not just offer the sale price on Steam?

Because they want to maximize profits. First get all the money the can of people who will buy the game for $60, then people who will buy the game for $45, then people who will buy the game for $30. Etc.

You can’t put a game on sale so close after its release.

Or they realized they must follow the not-so-secret Steam agreement on the matters of competitive pricing.

It’s the rare opposite of usual feeling I get at sales - usually I’m like “if only I’d waited till, now it’s 90% off” whereas right now I’m feeling like “I got a steal when I bought it three sales ago at 50% off + $10 coupon”

I feel maybe it mirrors my Hitman assassination experiences - maybe they had a masterful plan, maybe they were just winging it…regardless, it’s all gone pearwise. That’s why I play on modes that offer save/reload!

The game is a year old. It’s not a new release by any measure (as in a brand new game). It’s only new to another store, but they want to treat it like it’s a new release naturally, then maybe wonder why there is a backlash? All-the-while in a digital marketplaces?

This is really simple stuff. I give up.