Hollow Knight - convince me to keep playing

I rage quit many times, each thinking I’d never go back. I agree with the complaints above. I kept returning and eventually made it through. Replaying sections after death was the biggest downer.

Maybe I’ll try and revisit it this weekend. :)

Hahaha… Haha…
You’re nowhere near the last third of the game.

The moment I see a impossible to beat fight, it will be the moment I bail out (I have a huge backlog for something).
Or cheat more. One of the two.

All of the really hard ones are optional. You know, like it’s optional to ask the airline to sit by the emergency exit so you have more legroom, or it’s optional to ask for your steak rare rather than grey and ruined.

21 hours, and it’s here where I leave the game.

I think I got close to the end. I explored almost everything, the last areas I explored where the queen’s gardens and the bee hive, looking at the map at the wiki I’m only missing the last area (I suppose the final boss is there) and a pair of pieces mores of other areas. The last boss I played was Hornet (the second time you fight her).

Thing… at this point I lost interest in the game. It is a good game in many areas, the platforming, the action, the varied locations, the upgrades, some bosses, the music, how everything is connected; but the combination of very common backtracking, sparse fast travel points, and some frustrating hard points, made me give up. The total lack of story beyond some super nebulous and incomprehensible notes about something bad happened in the kingdom didn’t help. I guess you need to beat the game in the super mega true ending to understand shit.
Also, I played enough to enjoy what the game has to offer, but spending x more hours to beat the hardest fights seem pointless to me.

So my nephew who is about 7 at this point just loves this game so much. He keeps showing me the game every time I see him, so I decided to put some legwork into this game when I got home from seeing him today.

God, I just hate how fucking precise this game is. I can be one pixel away from a spinning coin, and it won’t pick it up. I have to walk that extra pixel over to pick it up. And it’s the same with the platforming, it’s so fucking pixel perfect, and the controls always make me feel like I’m doing something wrong. Just, the movement of the character, the ultra-precision with everything, it’s the worst platformer in terms of “pleasure of movement”. Like in Mario or Ori games, it’s a pleasure just to move your character, and to jump, and in this one it’s the opposite of that, it’s a constant annoyance to move the character and to jump, and shake your head at the fact that the game can’t even make your hit box big enough to give you one pixel worth of leeway in anything.

But anyway, I need to channel my inner Buddhist and relax. Concentrate on my breath, not on my character’s movement. I can do this.

That sounds like a lot of excuses for not being as good as a 7 year old :)

He’s incredible. I’ll never have reflexes like that again at my age. He’s unlocked like 3 different game modes for successively beating the game multiple times and is still looking for more things to unlock, and he has 3 additional save files in which he doesn’t have as much progress. It’s crazy. He showed me the fight against the final boss (the Sun?) and it’s crazy how he was constantly avoiding fire while only giving 20% of his attention to the screen while looking up at me most of the time to tell me about all the neat stuff about the game.

I still have nightmares about making it through one area with a lot of conveyor belts and traps. It took a ton of attempts.

If you mean the Radiance, that’s impressive. I made it through all of Hollow Knight, but noped out of that fight after only ten or so tries.

Man, that’s impressive for a 7 year old!

I enjoy pure platformers but only with very short gameplay bursts once in a while because I really suck at them. “Metroidvanias” I tend to play (and enjoy) for much longer, but I just started this and see what you mean. Gorgeous game, but already missing jumps and that first boss required some dexterity.

I started over yesterday. I figured I had forgotten some things. Sure enough, there’s a way to heal yourself that i had forgotten about (which makes the game much easier), and there’s a powerful spell you can unleash with the same button if you tap it instead of holding it down (once I beat the first boss again).

This time around I only died once. Now I’m in a green forest area.

I still don’t like the feel of the character and the way he/she jumps and the super precise hit box. My thumb hurts after 15 minutes of play from trying to be so dang precise all the time. Very very unsatisfying jumping. But now that I’m in the groove of the game, I’m really digging the exploration and the map is just fine since this time I bought all the tools for it (since I never died and lost my currency).

Same here.

I even got all of the sphere/abilities unlocked and beat all the bosses, but that one was just a hill too far. After about a dozen tries I felt like it was doable, but the idea of grinding it was not my idea of fun so I didn’t bother.

Unlike many, I loved the exploration and abilities, but didn’t really care about most of the boss fights at all.

Not having anything to spend money on anymore is making me very nervous. I already bought everything that the mapmaker’s wife was selling, so as I’m exploring the greenspace with no map, I’ve got nothing to spend all this money on that I’m accumulating! I could lose it all. Of course that’s nothing compared to how much money I lost in my first playthrough when I didn’t know anything about the game. So I’ll probably still land ahead.

Well, it finally happened. I finally got two deaths in a row. So I guess I lost all my currency. About 1400+. I just knew that all those coin nodes I kept finding everywhere were a meaningless reward since there was nothing to actually spend the currency on!

Still, I made a lot of progress yesterday in the Greenspace. I beat the boss lady I’d been following all this time, and I went back to town and they finally sold me a map of the place. So I was able to actually explore it much more with an actual map this time.

I found the place where’s so dark you can only see the area immediately around yourself. I’m not quite ready for that type of trial and error when the nearest bench is so far away, so I backed off.

Now that I’m free of always needing to go back for my corpse for that huge stack of cash though, I guess I should go back into the dark area. I’ve got nothing to lose in there anymore.

You should go back to the Forgotten Crossroads and explore some more. There’s definitely important (but missable) ways to spend Geo.

Now you tell me! I gained up to 700 Geo tonight and then lost it all. Because there’s nothing to spend it on!

I guess I’ll go back and see where else I can go in the Forgotten Crossroads, that way at least I’ll know where to go once I have Geo again.

There’s a bank to safeguard your Geo, too, isn’t there? I hope that’s not a spoiler!

Must be later in the game. It would make exploration more meaningful if Geo means something.