Horizon Zero Dawn - Postapocalyptic cavewoman vs Zoids

I played through the base game on the PS4 on a 1080 TV. Any ideas how much improved (if any) this would look with a GTX 1070 playing at 1080 on my PC?

You would get to use higher settings and have a higher framerate than on the PS4 Pro. But it’s not going to be night and day.

There was a DF comparison that might give you an idea. But it was based on the buggy original release. After 5 patches, pretty much all the things DF pointed out in the “disappointing port” had been addressed by the developers.

HZD has been well-supported on PC up to patch 1.09 now just released yesterday.

Yeah I think it would look just fine @1080p @robc04

Thanks guys, picked it up

I got this on sale the other day. Only gotten through the prologue/tutorial stuff I think, up to when Aloy is a teen I guess?

I know very little about the game except it seems to fit the type of game I like. It’s very pretty, I will say, though the characters are really, really clean and shiny for a post-apocalyptic world!

I’m quite liking this one. The machines are much more interesting as enemies than I had feared, and while upgrades and gear seem initially (like level 15 or so) fairly bland, the world is rather nicely done and interesting. The story or lore seems worth the trouble at least.

One thing that gets me though is that, coming off of playing a lot of Assassin’s Creed, I keep expecting Aloy to be able to jump and climb a lot more than she actually is capable of. Apparently, white girls can’t jump. I find myself hopping up and down wondering why I’m not sticking, Kassandra or Eivor style, to that rock wall in front of me, heh.

I remember when people made fun of Uncharted because Drake’s inhuman finger strength was considered so improbable. Now everyone is surprised when they can’t cling to any sheer, featureless surface in a game!

Lol, yeah, I long ago stopped looking for so-called realism in these types of games. I’m much happier with super-lizard-people grip and jumping like a kangaroo on crack.

Level 30 and enjoying the game, though it is getting a bit repetitive. The story is interesting though, and despite Aloy’s inability to climb worth a damn, the world is nicely done. I’m hoping there are more types of weapons and armor somewhere, though. I already have all purple stuff, and resources I collect pretty much just go towards making more ammo.

RIP Michael Nash at 36.

36? That is way way too young. How awful.

Man that stinks.

Those robot designs were some of the most awesome things I’ve ever seen in a game and it would be far poorer without them.

Yeah, they could easily have skewed super cheesy but they ended up being really good. Very natural looking mechanical-biological mashup, which isn’t easy to do.

Sucks to hear, looks like he was doing mentoring going by the posts on his twitter.

RIP sir.

https://twitter.com/mikeandrewnash1?lang=en

Overdose apparently

This game is currently on a steam sale, so I’m toying with the idea of picking it up. Anyone have experience playing it on PC? I know it’s a well reviewed game but I’m a bit leery of picking up a console title on PC and having to deal with halfhearted ports or games that don’t work well with mouse/kb controls. I’d love to hear any feedback from folks that tried it on PC.

I picked it up over Christmas and gave it a full play-through this past February, and maybe had one or two crashes over the 90-ish hours I spent with it over the main story and DLC. I didn’t have any real issues with it, and am of the opinion that it’s a very solid port, not to mention a fun game that does a great job of teasing out a reasonably interesting story. Played kb/m just fine. Would definitely recommend, especially on sale.

It seems like a really good, strong, well-supported port to me. There were some issues after launch, and they were addressed with patches.

I’m really impressed with how much better the graphics look on PC. It’s definitely the ideal platform for the game of you’ve got a decent rig.