How do you deal with stress

I already smoke pretty much everything, so I guess that’s how? Pooping brings me a great deal of joy and satisfaction – the satisfaction of a job well done – so that must be number two.

I would say Adult Swim, but there’s just too much lame ass anime on there. A lot of the good shows have come back though, so I guess I can cut them a break.

Also I do yoga every morning. Nothing like trying to put your legs around your head to make the rest of the day just seem a wee bit brighter. Besides, it gives me a great view of my fine, fine butt.

Just bottle up all the anger deep deep inside with all the other things you don’t want to face, and from where it will never ever escape. EVER! YOU HEAR ME? EVER!!!

Yep, a producer on a particularly troubled project I was on bought the team a kickboxing practice dummy for the team room. It worked. It says a lot about the games industry that we needed it in the first place, but that’s by the by.

Serenity now

Apparently “more manly” isn’t working so well, hence the thread. :)

Don’t let things stress you out in the first place. Prevention is best. Aside from major life-changing events (house fire, someone dying, etc) what could possibly be so important? Honestly.

Best stress release I’ve ever found is finding some arcade style game that you’re good at it (for me it’s fighting games and beat em ups), and sort of zenning out while playing them. Something that’s fairly tricky, but that you’re good enough at to play mostly on autopilot while you meditate on other things. Normally I get nothing from attempting to “relax” and “meditate”, but apparently occupying that part of my mind does the trick.

Yeah, what shift6 said. Whenever I find myself getting all het up I know I need to reexamine how I’m thinking about everything. The fact that I’m getting upset over stuff I can’t control means my perspective is fucked up. It’s taken years of practice (and other people doing the same thing helps), but I’ve started to get fairly good at heading crises off at the pass.

When I DO get angry and upset, I tell myself that it will pass. That usually gets me through until I’m okay, usually about 15 minutes later. If not, I call someone I don’t know that well and ask them how it’s going. Nothing like hearing about someone else’s father dying or losing their job or being sick to make you feel like your problems are nothing.

Remember above all else that unless one of the above things is happening to you, your problems are luxury problems. Other people don’t have fucking homes, or families, or arms. Your problems, by comparison? Problems of plenty.

So breathe, and get on with living helpfully.

i like to get on WoW in barrens chat and just grief people for no reason.

That’s pretty much the only reason to be on Barrens chat, isn’t it?

Brendan if you want shoot me a msg and I can send you all of the files I am getting next week on dealing / handling stress. I am currently in a Day Hospital Program which is teaching me stress management, relaxation techiques and numerous other things because I had a major meltdown a couple of weeks ago that had been culminating for about 2 1/2 years.

If anyone else wants any of these files let me know and I’ll get things setup online for people to download. It’s basically a group of modules for different things like worrying, depression, stress etc etc. I’ve found the course amazing so far, and am willing to share anything I have gotten out of it with anyone who wants it.

Also what I’ve learned for dealing with stress is exercise (walk, run, anything like that), do something you find fun, do something that will take your mind off of what is stressing you out, write down why you’re stressed and come back to it later so you’re not stressing that you will forget about what it is. Breathing, taking quiet time in a room, listening to relaxing music, deal with your stress in a humourous way.

Hope some of that helps.

its fun to hop on barrens and open up with the most inflammatory line possible like “religion is for the weak and timid” and then just fuck up anybody who responds.

taking a nap helps me, also playing PSP in bathtub really helps.

I used to sleep when upset. I’d fail a test or get dumped or whatever and just crawl under the covers for sixteen hours. Not very healthy.

Nowadays I have smoking (also unhealthy!) and guitar and, as mentioned above, a speed bag.

Pot does not help me at all. It doesn’t make things worse per se but if I’m stressed out all the weed is going to do is make me twitchy and worried. I know a few people who are basically stoned all the time, though, and they seem to be living pretty stress-free lives (although so do sea sponges I guess.) To me marijuana is the perfect reward, something to dip into after that big term paper or interview or whatever… it seems to heighten feelings of confidence and well being - provided you had them in the first place.

Yoga.

It’s pretty awesome.

And surprisingly easy to find in my area…

I thought about doing yoga, I figured it would be a good way to meet women. I chickened out of it though.

I got thrown out of my yoga class after I asked the girl next to me if I could put my lingam in her yoni :(

That’s going to get you thrown out of pretty much anywhere if you don’t know the person first…

Xanax

It depends on your personality and what you find cathartic and releasing. For me, singing karaoke, listening to loud music, playing violent video games or playing games with my cats helps alleviate stress. I hope you find what works well for you. :) Good luck!