How does Plex work (for dummies)

Thanks. I did all that and still no preview thumbnails. I think it must be some conflict with Windows 10 Fall Creators update because it’s been this way for a couple of months at least.

A godsend of a Tampermonkey/Greasemonkey script to make the metadata editing window bigger: https://imgur.com/a/GvNbZ

I finally got re-offered that $75 USD ($99 CAD) lifetime Plex pass. This time I was smart enough to jump on it. Hooray for syncing!

I just got the coveted $74.99 Lifetime Plex Pass offer today. Just a couple weeks shy of one year after cancelling my subscription; no idea if there’s any rhyme or reason to it though.

So jealous.

When I was a subscriber for the olympics, I did like the DVR feature a lot. Even though it needs a lot of work and isn’t as good as the DVR features on Windows Media Player from Windows 7/8, it’s still better than not having DVR capability.

It really sucks that you guys don’t get OTA EPG info so that everyone and his dog can make a cheap DVR. After you sort out net neutrality and local loop unbundling, maybe that’s what you should lobby for next. But by that time there may not be any OTA TV.

http://www.schedulesdirect.org/ is as close as we get, it was started by the MythTV people as a solution to Zap2It closing their lab. $25 a year to cover their costs and evangelize a bit.

It’s still not even close, though. I just put a USB stick in my TV and I’m good to go. Also, and this is a relatively recent development, the EPG is directly integrated with the major broadcasters’ catch-up services. If I click on a future programme, I get prompted to record it. If I click on a past programme, I can watch it right from the EPG.

I use Schedules Direct with NextPVR. It was kind of a pain to set up initially but ever since doing though it’s worked extremely well as a full featured ota dvr

I’m guessing Plex works just as well for dummies as for anyone else. It’s probably not discriminating in that way.

Oh wow, I just realized that even without a plex pass, plex will automatically pick up my DVR recordings from NextPVR and show them to me for remote viewing / downloading.

Sure it’s not as seamlessly integrated and I can’t watch live TV, but 2000 miles away from home I can easily watch my DVR recordings.

What is this NextPVR of which you write, out of curiosity?

How much would it cost to set up Plex on Windows Azure or other cloud server? (Cost of the server rental, I mean.)

I talked about it a bit in another thread here:

NextPVR is a free DVR program you can use with basically any TV tuner. It has a basic front-end you can use to watch, record, and schedule recordings of TV, but you can also integrate it with Kodi and such.

I tried Plex Pass but for the reasons I’ve described here or in the other thread I’m sticking with what I have today.

Infuse Pro has been updated to 5.7 for iOS and Apple TV4+. It’s awesome and will do HW-assisted HEVC/4K decode DirectPlay without the Plex Media Server breaking a sweat to transcode.

Also, MrMC is a nice alternative Plex client with hw decode support for HEVC for iOS, Android, Android TV and Apple TV.

Oooo I just got the fabled $75 lifetime pass deal. I think I’m hopping on that.

I might as well, depending on whether it has features that I would actually use.

I like the extended music metadata features which led me to sharing my music library.

Nice. Congrats. I really hope they offer that to me one day.