How long for a dead raccoon to stop stinking?

There must be a lot of scavengers where I live, because on the rare occasions I’ve discovered an animal carcass in my yard, it has rarely lasted longer than a night or two.

That sounds ominous.

Nah, in the South where I’m from originally, in the summer in particular dead critters get eaten real fast. Even here in Vermont there are enough scavengers that if the animal isn’t in a roadway, it’s gone within a day or so.

I put my rusty old grill out by the road yesterday afternoon, and it was gone this morning. Those darned scavengers will eat ANYTHING!

I live down by the river (not in a van, though), and we have some local cleanup crew that patrols the area.

Wish we had those. Unfortunately this trash panda being so far under a bush, nothing is going see it.

It ain’t the seein’, it’s the smellin’!

If its anywhere near the wood of your deck, remove it or have it removed now. If that smell permeates the wood, its almost impossible to get rid of without tearing out and replacing the wood. If you let it sit there and rot you will make the problem worse.

Day two check in. How’s it smelling, @jpinard ?

You can probably just call the city and have them come remove it.

There is no corpse removal service that’s free in our area, so looks like we’ll be getting 5 bags of dirt and covering it. I’d prefer to shovel it into a bag to put in the garbage, but I think it’ll fall apart and it’s guts will spill all over if I do that. And I can’t handle that kind of scenario. I have enough nightmares as it is.

This has been a fascinating thread. I can’t wait for Amazon Prime to make a movie out of it.

It will star Steven Seagal as the raccoon, I suppose? ;)

And Bill Murray as Jeff. So he’s got that going for him.

Who will play the frogs in the frog bog?

Qt3ers of course. :)

Ooooh, I like the sound of that!

Ribbit.

I’m only posting this because no one else did =).